Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 7:47:14 AM EDT
OK guys, I've got the shit over 60% of my body. Its weeping thru my clothes and keeping me up at night. I've tried caladrill (sp), and it doesn't even touch the itching. You guys got any home remedies? I'm dying here...[%|]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Boil up some oatmeal, let it cool, and use that as a paste.  Seems to work well enough.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to get it ALL the time as a kid. I had it so bad one time it was inside my nostrils (had to pick a booger) and on my eyelids. Got the butt rash and the pinga many many times.

Benadryl for the itching. Double or triple the OTC dose but it will make you groggy.

I also wash with a base bar soap like nonscented Dial or Ivory. Homemade lye soap is best. Somethiing with a high lye/glycerin content.

If you think you have ever been in it... DO NOT take a bath afterwards. Take a shower. The oils from the plants will float on the surface of the bath water and spread all over your whole body.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude go to the doctor and have them prescribe you the steroid pills{they will know what you are talking about}.  The poison ivy goes away in a matter of days. I tried the pharmacy stuff, and calamine, trust me nothing works better than the prescription meds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes  Go to the Doc. and get the pills. he may give you some cream also.
I get poison ivy if I just walk by a plant. I've suffered for weeks in the past but no more. If you do go to the Doc. you will be better in just a few days to a week. Well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The Poison Ivy movie sure did suck. Bad acting, a stipid plot... oh wait a sec.

You're covered in poison ivy! I wish I could help you, but I'm not allergic to it.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
hee hee [:D]  I'm immune [8D]
View Quote

Me too! [8D] I remember chasing the other kids around the playground during recess with the stuff...[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have tried [b]everything[/b] when it comes to poison ivy.  It has to go through it's cycle, all you can do is try to speed it up.  A few things I have found that helps are. I would scratch off the top layer with a dull knife [b]extremely carefully[/b] and then mix up a thick paste of epson salts and water and slather it all over the open rash.  Also go crazy with the rubbing alcohol.  Personally it would itch soooooo much I would much rather feel the sharp sting of rubbing alcohol than the itch. I fineally got a percription of Elocon cream.  It is a steroid cream and really helps.  Personally I don't like ingesting any drugs so I would much rather use the cream.  Good luck, I know how much it sucks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll never forget when I was a child and my Dad decided to cut his own Christmas tree. He thought it would be a great family outing. So he picked a beautiful tree with a vine of some kind which had real nice white berries running through it. He cut it, paid the landowner for it and dragged it to the car; brought it home and then trimmed the tree with decorations.

Oh man, it was poison ivy and it ruined his Christmas. I remember him saying that he did not know that you could get a case of poison ivy in the winter time.[>(]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought poison ivy oozed, not sucked...

But seriously, look for a product called 'Ivy Dry.'  It is a topical medicine that clears up poison ivy in 2 days or less.  I have found it in a paste and liquid form.  The liquid works better if you can find it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I also recommend Ivy Dry. I used it as a kid in NJ and found it in a drug store in Leesville, LA. I always got it bad on my arms in Fort Polk while agressing through the boonies at night. You have to soak the skin it is on in as hot a water as you can stand and then apply Ivy Dry. I have always found it as a brown liquid. It works. I had a friend who did number 2 in the woods and used some leaves to wipe....you guessed it. I have never seen such suffering. John. The hot water relieves the itching
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Try Rhuli Gel. It just has a lot of alcohol in it that dries up the skin.

For wiping away whats left of the oil on you use Tecnu. It has mineral oil and has stepped down mineral oil(brush cleaner) that bearks down the poison ivy/oak oils on your skin.Slather it on and rub for two miutes andrinse. Gets theoil off pretty well.

See the doc for a prednisone prescription. Stuff works great to reduce the inflammation.

Sherm
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
A second here for the Tecnu. If you know your gonna get in the stuff put it all over your exposed skin first. If you do get in it wash up with it as soon as possible afterwards. It will keep you from breaking out about 90% of the time.

If you do get it go to the doctor as has been prescribed above. Also take ALL the medicine prescribed. If you dont and you are exposed to it again before you take it all you will break out again.

Any over the counter allergy medicine will help and as for the itching at night (dont laugh) Gold Bond Medicated cream and the powder during the day will help greatly with the itching.

Being a telephone repairman I encounter this stuff all too frequently. It's an occupational hazard that cant be ignored. There used to be a series of shots you could take that would severly decrease the exposure but the FDA pulled them from the market for some reason. I guess it didnt have enough of a profit margin to keep on the market.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont know if it's dumb luck or what, but as per my name, I did spend lots of time @ "Planet Ord" and points south that are littered with poison oak,  lotsa training at night and what not.. anyway, I'd come out clean and many buddies got the rash.. I STILL stay away on visual contact though!

I Feel for ya Vortex, but not by experince! :O)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Dear God man, just go to the Doc, get the shot in yer ass, take yer Prednisone, and you'll ferget it's there within 24 hours, I promise!!!  Go to the Doc!!!  Oh, and the 1.5% hydrocortizone!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
tecnu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys have a patent on the stuff:
[url]http://www.teclabsinc.com/index.html[/url]

big oops on the first go, wrong url.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
No, no, NO!!!  I run a pharmacy guys, and I'm tellin' ya, none of this shit is anything more than window dressing!  Go see the Doc!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Update on the poison ivy...
Went to the doc and she gave me a shot, some Allegra and some steriod pills. Man, why did I wait so long? Two days later the shit is almost gone! Modern medicine kicks ass~!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#20]
The tecnu stuff always works for the Telco guys I worked with (I am not allergic to poison ivy)  they would always wash with it if they thought they had been exposed to it and at the end of the day nynex used to issue it to the outside guys all the time along with the real deadly 24 foot jet spray wasp killer. And they never bought crap bellcore had a whole divisioin devoted to testing and approving all of that stuff. The problem they had was guys were stealing it and hand cleaner and bug spray by the case all the time.
like I said I dont get poison Ivy but a couple I went to high school with got it real bad all over -all over-- wonder how they explained that one to mom and dad ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
hee hee [:D]  I'm immune [8D]
View Quote

Me too! [8D] I remember chasing the other kids around the playground during recess with the stuff...[}:D]
View Quote

HAHAHA!you're both full of shit. Keep believing, though!

See your doc and take the 'roids. You need to start at 1mg/kg/day and taper down over 10 days. It will take a day or two for those to really help.
Use the other topical agent etc. Caladryl, Aveeno bath or lotion, Hydrocortisone cream, Sarna lotion are a few that you can try.
Oral benadryl will work as good as any prescription antihistamines, probably better, but will make you drowsy. Use at bedtime, for sure.
It will take a combination of things to get you better but you need the 'ROIDS, man.

Make sure you clean or dispose of ALL clothing that might be contaminated. I'd wash clothes twice and use alcohol on footwear if it is leather,etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top