Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 7:37:44 AM EDT
[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14195-2001Nov25.html[/url]

[made link clickable - Paul]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This was a news link on the home page several weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The author was off on the Russian SMG caliber.  He said 9MM, though it should have been 7.62X25.  I think that is all I found.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
... That was kewl.

... From the Washington Post no less
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe what I am reading.  The Washington Post's didn't earn their nick name "Pravda on the Potomac" for being pro-gun.  Enjoy it while you can, come January when Congress goes back into session things should get real interesting for the gunner.s
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Dufy .... pardon me but you duffed it ... there was an M3 carbine ...
Different series for Machine Guns, Sub Machine Guns, Rifles & Carbines...

http://shoga.wwa.com/~dvelleux/armyrifl.html

Choose M1 Carbine at the bottom.... you will see the M1, M2 & M3 at the bottom...

Then Choose M16 ... you will see the M16 & M4 & M4A1 at the bottom...

Ted...
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]
When Congress gets back in session. Wait until the Senate chimes in. Feinstein[whacko]...Boxer [whacko][whacko]...Kennedy[sex]...Schumer[bounce]

...and then there's little 'ol me, the monkey wrench. [moon]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also it's not the "fourth generation" of the weapon, it's just a name after M1 carbine, M2 carbine (full auto M1 carbine), and M3 (grease gun).
View Quote

Maybe he means 4th gen M-16:
M-16A1
M-16A2
M-16A3
M-4 (I don't think the Army uses a full size flat top.)

I dunno...  pretty accurate, for a newspaper.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Nobody noticed who wrote the article?

It was written by Stephen Hunter. He is kind of left wing, but, oddly enough, a very strong 2nd Amendment supporter. He also writes some very excellent fiction, which has very detailed and accurate information about the weapons his characters use and gunfighting in general. He was drafted in the early 70s and served in the "Old Guard," the Army's cermonial unit. He currently works as a film critic for the Washington Post and is a best-selling novelist. Some of his books are:

-The Second Saladin: one of his first, okay but not great;
-Tapestry of Spies: still learning how to write;
-The Spanish Gambit: spy novel; getting better-set during the Spanish civil war;
-The Master Sniper: very good story; an complex assasination plot during the close of WWII involving one of the German's best marksmen, an OSS agent and lots of action;
-The Day Before Midnight: Commandos take over a missile silo and the American response. Should have been a movie;
-Point of Impact: A Carlos Hatchcock-type Former Marine sniper is drawn into a conspiracy. Excellent book;
-Dirty White Boys:Very dangeous cons escape from prison in Oklahoma and are hunted down. Probably one of the best action books ever written;
-A Time To Hunt: More advenures with the Marine Sniper;
-Black Light: More advenures with the Marine Sniper;
-Hot Springs: WIth the help of a battle-hardened Marine, a new DA decides to clean up the mob in Arkansas in the 1940s;
-Pale Horse Coming; the same Marine runs into some trouble in Louisana and gets help from some of the legends in the shooting community.

Stephen Hunter writes excellent books, and I recommend them highly. He probably has the most detailed descriptions of weapons you will find in contemporary fiction. Yeah, he made a couple of mistakes in his article, but it was better than 99% of the other stuff you will find in the media.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting and entertaining.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top