Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 6:41:04 PM EDT
I have brought up my gun collection twice to my insurance company and both times they have said "Oh, you have guns, you are better off not mentioning that".  HELLO almost every home in america has a gun!

How do I go about insuring my collection?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
NRA has insurance available to members.

marsh
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell them you'll take your business to an insurance company that will insure guns, that nomrally changes their tune.  You might also want to tell them that if you say a rate hike anytime after declaring guns on your policy they'll be kissing your business goodbye.  You can buy extra insurance through the NRA too.  I believe the NRA has a list of "gun-friendly" insurance companies out there.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have brought up my gun collection twice to my insurance company and both times they have said "Oh, you have guns, you are better off not mentioning that".  HELLO almost every home in america has a gun!

How do I go about insuring my collection?
View Quote

Allstate is pretty cool about it. I pay 10cents per 1000 extra on my renters insurance. The NRA has insurance as well but don't know what they charge.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
USAA was pretty cool about the whole thing. Even got the hi caps included as a few can cost as much as gun all by themselves.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll second that about USAA, they helped me take out an additional rider, as when I crunched the numbers, it turned out their standard coverage wouldn't cut it for my collection.  At no time was it treated as the bogeyman, it was just something I needed more insurance for.  Screw an insurance company that makes you to feel wrong for having guns.  No, FUC* that insurance company.  I'm so damned tired of freakin' Liberal BS anti-gun CRAP that I could puke.  FUC* 'em!  Go somewhere that WANTS your business!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I just have an extra rider on my homeowners policy from Farmers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Whoever told you you are "better off not mentioning" your gun collection was probably stating a personal opinion that has nothing to do with company policy.

You have choices.  I would change companies immediately.

FWIW the Automobile Club of Southern California was very gracious about my gun collection.  We determined that I had enough "unscheduled personal property" coverage and there was no need to itemize the collection.  If it ever gets to be worth a lot more, they offer an inexpensive rider for that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I just thought about this, but maybe for insurance purprose, you should take a picture of your toys, with you in the picture so that you can prove that all of this hardware is yours.  A note of word or caution though, don't take the film to these 1-hour processing places, I have seen on news reports that the clerks could call the local PD on you and you will have the SWAT team at your door in no-time flat to do some fancy explaining after they crash thru your front door scarcing the $hit out of everybody inside. And putting the pictures and receipts in a safe deposit box.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#11]
State Farm was cool and I attached a extra rider to my policy to cover them.

The only downside is my wife gets to see how many I have and how much they cost.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I'm going to check with the NRA, if anyone gets my money I would rather it be them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just have an extra rider on my homeowners policy from Farmers.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I use USAA as an insurer.  They require the Personal Article Floater for all guns valued at more than $500 (I think).  They've never mentioned any problems with them to me.  I'm only worried that somebody besides me has a de-facto registration of my firearms.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I also just have a rider on my Farmers policy. When I first got the policy 15+ years ago they wanted serial numbers to be listed but have since dropped that policy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me recommend USAA for those eligible.

My homeowner's policy has something like a $1K limit for firearms, computers, and jewelery.

I askd for increased coverage in all areas, and they were very reasonable about it.  I'm not sure of the cost, but a $5K increase for the firearms coverage comes out to something like four or five bucks per year.  They didn't seem to care one way or the other that I have a safe for storage.

It's very reasonable, and I'd recommend finding a carrier that will allow riders to the policy for supplimental coverage.

And, GSTN, you'd better mention it.  If you don't, I'd guess that you will run into a policy limit and have your reimbursement denied.

If you have a fair amout of weapons, I'd get a comprehensive inventory, with replacement costs and photos sent to your insurer to verify coverage.  Send a duplicate letter to yourself via registered mail / return receipt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top