Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2009 1:36:09 PM EDT
And no I am not leaving the US to live there. Their gun laws suck.

I've always wanted to visit and after recently discovering that my ancestry is from Londonderry, Northern Ireland, I really want to visit.

I've known that my ancestry is from Ireland and Scotland but never knew exactly where. I'm still working on the Scotland part.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Never been there, but from what I hear, they have lots of little men running around in green tights, carrying pots of Gold. If you catch them, you can have their lucky charms.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Dublin, Waterford, and the Cliffs of Moher.

College St. in Dublin is amusing to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been to Londonderry 5 times in the past 10 years.  Very cool town.  There are a lot of things to do in the city, and some great attractions just a short drive away.  The Tower Hotel is really nice and central to downtown.  I've also been to Dublin, Belfast, Shannon, Donegal.  Well worth the trip to at least see it once.  The people are great too.  

ccfps
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well instead of asking all these Americans, you could ask all the actual born there / lived there Paddies in the UK hometown forum.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard that in Dublin city limits you're never more than 90 ft from a pub.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear that beers are eight dollars in Dublin
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for pics of red head green eyed Irish girls.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tag for pics of red head green eyed Irish girls.

It'll be a long wait, no one I know in Ireland has red hair and green eyes… blonde to brown and blue or brown eyes are nearly all of the population.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've always wanted to visit and after recently discovering that my ancestry is from Londonderry, Northern Ireland, I really want to visit.

I've known that my ancestry is from Ireland and Scotland but never knew exactly where. I'm still working on the Scotland part.

fixt

(I've got family from Derry as well)
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well instead of asking all these Americans, you could ask all the actual born there / lived there Paddies in the UK hometown forum.

I honestly didn't know there was one
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly didn't know there was one

You'll find us all in here…

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=5

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never been either...but that's about to change! The wife bought tickets for us to go in May for a week!

Flying into Dublin, Spending the night, then driving around for the next five days seeing the sights...should be fun!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife is visiting her family in Limavady, Derry Londonderry Stroke City right now, her and my daughter got there this morning.

Great place to visit, but I would not live there. Too friggin' cloudy, almost every single friggin' day. Not to mention the politics...
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never been either...but that's about to change! The wife bought tickets for us to go in May for a week!

Flying into Dublin, Spending the night, then driving around for the next five days seeing the sights...should be fun!

Stay off the roads after 10pm, they are rather 'exciting' with drunk/stoned drivers…  Driving standards in Ireland are shockingly bad, high accident rates.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay off the roads after 10pm, they are rather 'exciting' with drunk/stoned drivers…  Driving standards in Ireland are shockingly bad, high accident rates.

Thanks for the advice...I doubt if I'll be in any condition to drive by that time of night

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ain't kidding Andy, every time I'm over there they're always going on about somebody killed on the roads on the radio...

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, even in the daytime it's scary.  If you ever rent (aka 'hire') a car in Ireland, it is worth the peace of mind to buy the extra insurance.  Those credit card deals where you are automatically insured if you book with their card specifically exclude the Republic of Ireland usually.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ain't kidding Andy, every time I'm over there they're always going on about somebody killed on the roads on the radio...

Its because they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Scotch/Irish here. Never been there but plan to change that one day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I was over there were three fatal crashes in the local area in two weeks, 12 dead, 7 in one car!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
They had a rather graphic anti-drunk driving PSA a while back. It involved a car cartwheeling through a stone fence and hitting a small child.

ETA: This is the one
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a possibly dumb question.

Many years ago I asked about visiting Ireland on another forum and was told to stay away from Northern Ireland. Is there any truth to that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Many years ago I asked about visiting Ireland on another forum and was told to stay away from Northern Ireland. Is there any truth to that?

The troubles are a done deal for the most part, it's completely safe. Go and enjoy.

ETA

See my post above about my wife and 4 y/o daughter arriving in Northern Ireland (Derry is up north) today - If I weren't certain they would be totally safe they wouldn't have gone, at least not without me.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been to Dublin and Kilkenny. Dublin is an international city, lots of tourists and foreigners trying to make money, but it is still "Irish". Beers cost about seven bucks for a twenty ounce pint. Everyone drinks Guinness or Budweiser (go figure, but it is brewed there).

Kilkenny was a different feel, fewer foreigners, more Irish.

Check out Glendalough if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendalough
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its because they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Scotch/Irish here. Never been there but plan to change that one day.

Scotch is a drink.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
In Ireland this is a two way street, I kid you not.

In Northern Ireland check out the Giants Causeway.

-JTP

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#29]
It's green in Ireland. Very green.

My mother was born and raised in County Kilkenny and my father lived in Cork for a while after he retired from the military.

The Irish are a funny lot. They cry when they drink and they laugh when they fight.

pato
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've been to Dublin and Kilkenny. Dublin is an international city, lots of tourists and foreigners trying to make money, but it is still "Irish". Beers cost about seven bucks for a twenty ounce pint. Everyone drinks Guinness or Budweiser (go figure, but it is brewed there).

Kilkenny was a different feel, fewer foreigners, more Irish.

Check out Glendalough if you can. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendalough
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Glendalough4259.JPG/800px-Glendalough4259.JPG

Born in Dublin, grew up in Kilkenny and have family around Glendaloughy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Tiocfaidh ár lá
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to Belfast, but didn't go to the really hard sectarian neighborhoods. That was then, and things are supposed to be a lot better now.

I'd still stay away from Falls Road and the Shankill, though.

Northern Ireland is easy…

If you're Catholic, stay out of the areas with red, white and blue painted kerbs…

If you're Protestant, stay out of the areas with green, white and orange painted kerbs…

Easy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Last time I was in Ireland (in the mid-80s) the Irish pound cost less than $1, and a pint of beer cost around 1 pound.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sounds like you're Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots.  Those people were offered land in northern Ireland (Ulster) to help the English occupy the land and hold off the Catholic Irish.  The arrangement sucked so many Ulster Scots left for America for the wilderness areas, namely central PA, WV, the mountain backwoods of VA, NC, KY and TN.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you're Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots.  Those people were offered land in northern Ireland (Ulster) to help the English occupy the land and hold off the Catholic Irish.  The arrangement sucked so many Ulster Scots left for America for the wilderness areas, namely central PA, WV, the mountain backwoods of VA, NC, KY and TN.
Yep.  For a variety of reasons, the Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots) in America have typically forgotten or mistaken their actual ancestry.

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#36]
just went there in june and yes it was expensive as hell for drinks but the guinness there tasted like it had just fell from heaven into your pint glass.. (the guinness brewery brews 3 million pints a day, 1 million of those are consumed in ireland)

i would recommend spending most of your time in dublin.  we spent two weeks driving around the country and it gets tiring after a few days
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  For a variety of reasons, the Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots) in America have typically forgotten or mistaken their actual ancestry.

And yes, I am having a hell of a time trying to trace back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top