Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 8:22:29 AM EDT
U.S. vs. Terror (Taliban, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan etc...)
India vs. Pakistan
Isreal vs. Palestine

China vs. ?????
Russia vs. ????
I dont expect those countries to stay neutral if all of the above happens (which is inevitable).

Your takes?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
WWIII on the horizon?

Nope, not even close.  The closest we've come was with the Cuban Missle crisis and then we weren't as close as many feel.

(I do not count the use of "theater-size" nukes as nuclear war.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The point I was getting at was that it looks like India and Pakistan are about to get into it and also Isreal and Palestine. The U.S. will no doubt take action against Iraq and other nations in the terrorist war, which Russia and China already said they oppose.

I am wondering if those kommie countries will become more "involved" if all these potential wars occur.

I'm not talking about using nukes, because no one wants that. And I'm not too sure what actually would qualify as a "world war" but if this gets bad, there could be a whole lot of people kicking the sh*t out of eachother and the U.S. right in the middle.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
As a side note, I just read where 12 Indian soldiers were killed by their own landmines they were laying along the border. [url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011229/ts/india_pakistan_64.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As a side note, I just read where 12 Indian soldiers were killed by their own landmines they were laying along the border. [url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011229/ts/india_pakistan_64.html[/url]
View Quote

I also heard on the news that Indian and Pakistani troops exchanged fire this morning, but they didn't go into much detail.

From the Drudge Report:

Four Pakistani soldiers killed bunkers destroyed in firing
Sat Dec 29 2001 03:12:37 ET

New Delhi (dpa) - Four Pakistani soldiers were reported killed, 30 wounded and six of their bunkers destroyed when Indian troops opened heavy retaliatory artillery fire across the Line of Control (LoC) in Kopri area of Poonch sector Saturday morning.

The United News of India said Pakistan Army opened heavy, unprovoked fire on forward Indian positions around 0330 hours local time with 81 MM mortar guns and heavy machine guns, targeting bunkers and communication towers.

The shelling continued for an hour. In retaliation Indian troops fired 82 MM mortar shells on Pakistani positions and destroyed three bunkers.

After Indian retaliation, Pakistani troops opened fire from 105 MM guns on Indian positions to which Indian troops retaliated destroying two more Pakistani bunkers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Early deployment... that's what I'm talking about. Some hazardous pay, in a tax free zone; can't beat that. On top of that, maybe we'll blow something up and get some candy outa it too. [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am wondering if those kommie countries will become more "involved" if all these potential wars occur.
-----------------------------------------------
Death,
there are damn few kommie countries left - North Korea for sure and they're for sure starving to death.

Russia - A country managed by organized crime could hardly be more capatialistic.

China - Communistic Capatalism is alive, well and flourishing.

The big countries are all reaching the level of having something to lose.

Now China long-range ?  That's something to think about.
While we're waiting for next quarters earnings report the Chinese are thinking 25 - 50 -100 years ahead.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been wondering the same thing...

This may sound strange but, a thought hit me when I heard about China getting permanent trade rights:  

I wondered if George is planning to stomp our GI size 9's all over that continent in our war on terror and this was a preemptive move to make a "friend" on the playground?

(It is very possible that the wind just blew some of my tinfoil shingles off the roof last night[whacko])
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: I
I wondered if George is planning to stomp our GI size 9's all over that continent in our war on terror and this was a preemptive move to make a "friend" on the playground?
View Quote

They're only size 9's?  sheesh!  I thought they were at least size 12's!
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
If we really hunt down ALL the terrorists including Saddam and many other Muslim's such as the bunch in Saudi that support Al Quaida, I think it b=very possible we end up with total war with all the muslim nations. If that ain't world war I don't know what is.
[:\]
Joe
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

View Quote

They're only size 9's?  sheesh!  I thought they were at least size 12's!
View Quote

I am convinced that the US Army has some mythical super boot because it seems like everyone is issued size 9 when they enlist.

Did you ever see the Simpson's episode when they are in Australia and Marge tries to order a drink and all they hear is beer?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]
on the horizon??, wealcome to it, its already here., just not the way everyone (me included) thought it would.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
on the horizon??, wealcome to it, its already here., just not the way everyone (me included) thought it would.
View Quote

Yeaaup.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Some interesting thought, these...

Quoted: I would venture that we already are in WW 3 and have been since 1991.  The difference is this is one of those cold / hot things.
View Quote

This would be a bit reminicent of the wars in the late 16th and early 17th centuries - where armies, to some extent, met on the field of battle almost by accident, then there were months before the next battle.

I really don't think Russia and China care more than lip service for these third worlders.  
View Quote

you may have a point here, but I think, at least China, has some interest in certain areas beyond lip service.  Perhaps Russia does as well, but usually I wouldn't expect them to be common.

At this point in history the interests of all of the great powers seem to coincide.  We are basically fighting a feudal system that thrives on the ignorance of its populace and convinces them that blissful ignorance is preferable to western/eastern decadence.  
View Quote

China is still quite a bit in the feudal mode - except perhaps in the larger cities, where more western influence abounds.  So I doubt that it's that simple.  

I think it more likely that the  blissful ignorance these societies engender is rather an animosity towards western (capitolistic, democratic, whatever they want to be against) ideas.

To them US, Russia, China are the same animal.  They just tend to hate us more because we are better at it, and worse yet we offer our culture and the means to achieve it to anyone that wants it.  Rest assured Russia and China will catch up, but it will take time.
View Quote

We're the same animal because we're 'rich'.  Altho it could be argued that China adn Russia aren't quite there yet - but that's why the US is in first place.  Of course, the fact that we offer more freedom to achieve, and less gov't control of [b]everything[/b] (or nearly so) is something these Lords of the fief despise and fear as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top