Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 12:14:56 AM EDT
Lately whenever I try to go to a website I get the following error:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click  Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the  Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer  

After clicking the BACK button and trying it again I still get it.  Click the BACK button again and try it again the site will load up.  It usually takes 2 or 3 times of going back and trying it again before it will work.  What is causing this and what can I do to Keep it from recurring?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Your browser is most likely getting a time out error. How many web based things are going on in the background when you are trying to connect to the site? If you have too many, it will bog down things to the point that you will get errors such as you mentioned.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I would usually hit the "refresh" button a few times, and it should display properly if the web site is not down.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Your DNS server could be down.
If you set it manually, with instructions from the isp, try finding it out (network neighborhood, then properties)

If you can not ping it, find another DNS from your isp.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you running a firewall?

Are you on a broadband connection?

Do you use pppoe to connect?

If so, your firewall needs to be turned off prior to connecting...

Also, clear your cookies, and temp internet files...

Can you type in the ip address of the web site in the address bar and get to the site?

open a command prompt when you are online and then type this:  ping (space) www.yahoo.com

You should get replies....if not, then you might need to hardcode the dns numbers in your connectiod....

hope this helps....who is your internet provider?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a mean no throughput call today...could ping yahoo.com by IP and domain...I can ping&trace his IP....firewall disabled already...hardcoded DNS...the browser said "detecting proxy settings" but everything in LAN settings was unchecked...reinstalled IE (didn't show in Add/remove to repair it)...then we repaired it...ripped and reinstalled communications and network stack...rehardcoded dns and IP info......then finally I did the following and he connected right after reboot...

*This reg hack was sent out a long time ago but just in case you have lost it or forgetten about it, here it is*

1. Disable firewalls, antivirus, norton system works, or anything else like that.

(If the customer is using windows ME run msconfig, goto the startup tab, uncheck 'pchealth' and 'statemgr', then reboot before continuing)

2. go directly to add/remove programs/windows setup.  do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

3. Uncheck Communications

4. Hit OK

5. Say NO to restart if asked

6. Leave Control Panel Open

7. Run --- Regedit

8. Delete the following keys:  (make sure you disclaim and BACKUP the registry first) Also tell the customer to delete the backup file if this ends up working so they don't return themselves back to a bad configuration...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

9 Reinstall the Communications Package

10. Say NO to restart

11. Configure the Network Control Panel (hardcode dns, verify everything is there that should be there...)

12. Restart Computer  -- customer should be up and running now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't microsoft wonderful?  Last night, my email receive went away.  I could send messages, but not receive.  Internet connection was fine.  Hadn't touched the accounts, passwords, connections etc for weeks.  After a couple of hours, I called my ISP & asked if there was an outage of some sort.  No.

Got sent up to the technical" help guy.  The first one was a "customer service" bonehead. He got me on a remote diagnosis routine & ran my computer from his shop.  Looked at & played with all the same things that I had.  Finally, he just deleted all of my account info from my computer and re-installed it with exactly the same settings.  It worked.  Goofy.

I told him the joke about the four engineers riding in a car when it sputtered to a halt on the side of the road.  The mechanical engineer said, "Sounds like a bad engine."  The electrical engineer said , "Sounds like bad electronic fuel injection."   The chemical engineer said, "Sounds like bad fuel."   The Microsoft computer engineer said, " Turn it off.  Everybody get out of the car & close the doors.  Then we'll all get back in and try it again."

He was still laughing when we logged off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Norm,

Sounds like your email account was corrupted or your outgoing mail server was changed/corrupted, etc.  In this case the best thing to do is just delete the email account and create a new one.  The only thing you have to know to do this is your incoming and outgoing mail servers....
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Precisely what we did.  My outgoing was fine.  I have the test messages at work to prove it.  Only the incomimg was screwed up.  How, without being touched?  It's microsoft.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#9]
dsr611,

There could be several veriables, but I'll second what "Imbroglio" has already mentioned.

What type of Internet connection are you using and at what speed?

Are you getting this error message from one particular website, or does it occur arbitrarily on all sites?

What other Internet related activity is your compute engaged in when you encountered this problem - e.g. downloading, opening other pages, or receiving other feeds??

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#10]
1. You may not be connected at all.
2. Your routing to that site is fuX'd.
3. Your not resolving sites from your DNS server.
4. You've eaten up all your bandwidth, and need to stop using some services.
5. You haven't set up your browser properly (depending what OS your using.)

Just some ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top