Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2001 5:59:53 PM EDT
I have a 98' Ford F-150 extd cab.

I just recently experienced the outtage of four lamp lit indicators: 4x4 2H 4H and 4L switch lights, the drivers side up/down window indicators and the fuel and oil pressure guages.
All other lights/indicators/guages appear to functioning normally.

I have checked all standard and high voltage fuses and find no problems.

Anyone have any suggestions?

A relay or something.........quirk......what?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Smack............blam...........OUCH!

I guess I asked for that one huh?

Seriously though, I ordered this truck built to the hilt and never had a moments trouble save the normal stuff.

This makes me think there lurks a larger problem.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There may be a "lighting computer" in the maze of crap under the dash.  I know my 97 has one.  See if mebbe a plug may have worked itself loose and just wiggle or "exercise" any connectors there.  Do this with all lights off.

marsh
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I would pull the insturment cluster (thats where all these inicators are right? some ford's have them in a bank above the cluster on the leading edge of the dashboard)and check the "printed circuit" mounted to the back of it it is a translucent piece of plastic as thin as paper with copper traces printed on it one of the grounds or screws has come loose or a trace has cracked breaking a circuit. other than that a connector has come loose or gotten corroded somehow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it still under warranty? [?] Seems like a lot of electrical components to go out at one time.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
ford has always had problems with the head light switch, which also controls the interior lights ... the switches melt down. ..check the head light switch...pat
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Nah.........the headlight switch is basically new.

I broke the original with my knee last year and put in an OEM replacement...........$78...ouch.

Warranty is out unfortunately.

Getting "advice" from a dealer is like negotiating with a Grizzly that is intent on eating your ass.

No go.

More?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the wiring in the frame rail for a possible un plugged connector or short. If you have been driving through tall, stiff weeds or brush, the sticks can hook on the wiring and pull things apart.
Had a similar problem with my '97 F-350. Something hooked the wiring for the back-up lights and whatever else is down there. Broke the little plastic clipe that hold the wires in place. The wires rubbed against the frame until there was a short.
I could be way off, but it don't cost nutin' to check.[:\]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#9]
XKill, I had a similar problem with my 89 Bronco XLT.  Do you go off roading alot or run on rutted roads?  I did and the seal around my windshield came loose.  Turns out, water leaked right into the wrong places whenever it rained.  Might try pushing the lower portion of your windshield and see if there's any movement.  Or else check on your warranty and call Ford about any recalls. They're usually real good about recalls.  Good luck.  Keep on truckin!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
All of these "indicators" could be on the same ground wire. Done any under-dash worki lately where you might have removed a screw with a ground lug on it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Burned trace(s) on the circuit board or a ground problem. I'd say the ground problem is less likely since they often involve flickering or intermittent operation, though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Before you tear stuff apart, go to the auto parts store and buy a Chilton's "Total Car Care" repair manual for your truck.  Check the wiring diagrams for your model and see what components/harnesses/connectors are involved in that particular circuit.

Study the dash disassembly pictures and text, then decide if you really want to do this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Yech, some of those aftermarket repair manuals really suck! Incomplete wiring diagrams, when they include any at all...

If this truck is a "keeper", the original factory service manuals are the only way to go.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yech, some of those aftermarket repair manuals really suck! Incomplete wiring diagrams, when they include any at all...

If this truck is a "keeper", the original factory service manuals are the only way to go.
View Quote

Yep. OEM factory manuals are the best, I got a set for my van $150! But the aftermarket manuals seem to be better for diagnosis of certain problems.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]$150?
Y-E-O-W!!!!!!![/b]

I'm dating my Dodge here, but I think I paid $40 for mine. Some of the diagrams in it will take you several hours to figure out, but at least they're all there! Best money I every spent.

You know, it wouldn't cost the auto companies more than $10 to put the entire service manual on a CD-ROM. They could even put a standard USB or RS-232 diagnostic connector in the engine compartment that you could connect to your PC to trouble-shoot everything yourself. Naturally, as long as their dealers charge $70 per hour for service, that ain't gonna happen, though...
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]
How do you go about fixing a power window that won't move in a 94 ford ranger?

The switch is still good because the voltage gauge drops when it is pressed. Bad motor or is something just stuck?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I took the door panel off and there are 3 rivets holding the motor in a really hard to reach area in the door. I have no idea how to get the thing out of there.

Damnit Jim, I am a pseudo-gunsmith, not an automechanic!

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I took the door panel off and there are 3 rivets holding the motor in a really hard to reach area in the door. I have no idea how to get the thing out of there.

Damnit Jim, I am a pseudo-gunsmith, not an automechanic!

View Quote

In my full size 1989 Bronco, I had to drill out hole to reach the three nuts mounting the electical window motor.  I went to Ford and verified this before I did it.  The factory placed "dimples" in the sheet metal at the points that have to be drilled.  Just make sure to apply some kind of sealant to the bare metal after you drill and put the vapor barrier back in place too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top