Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2001 7:14:41 AM EDT
I just read a review of Black Hawk Down in Newsday. The reviewer was going on about how it's a racist movie because the Somolians were portrayed as faceless mobs that were being slaughtered, and that they might get there "feelings" hurt. Doesn't he realize that this is a true story and chronicles what really happened? 18 Rangers died, and many others were wounded, and he's worried about the Somolians "feelings".

This really pisses me off. Has anyone seen the movie yet?

BTW, they might have  a review of it at www.newsday.com-I haven't checked. It got 1.5 stars.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81324[/url]

I thought they were Army Rangers that had all the problems in that incident.
View Quote

There were no Marines involved in that goatscrew. Fortuantely the Marine Corps takes a bit more care of its troops than does the Army.

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, Army and Delta operators were involved.

Read the book and cry like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Actually, Army and Delta operators were involved.

Read the book and cry like the rest of us.
View Quote

My mistake-I haven't read the book yet. I'll be picking up a copy today. No disrespect was intended.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#5]
LongIslandShooter...
Black Hawk Down is one of the best books ever writtten detailing a battle on a minute to minute basis. It details both the savagery of battle as well as the relationships between men of arms during battle. Over the years I have read and reread the book several times.
Of note is that another great book on battle has been made into a movie to be released in the spring. "We Were Soldiers Once And Young" is another book with the same vivid detail and minute to minute chronology of a battle. It is another good book that I have reread several times. Each reading still gives me the chills.
Aloha,
Wabi
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
LongIslandShooter,

No I wasn't offended...just being blunt...

How are things on the big "G"?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just read a review of Black Hawk Down in Newsday. The reviewer was going on about how it's a racist movie because the Somolians were portrayed as faceless mobs that were being slaughtered, and that they might get there "feelings" hurt. Doesn't he realize that this is a true story and chronicles what really happened? 18 Rangers died, and many others were wounded, and he's worried about the Somolians "feelings".
View Quote

This is typical bull $hit from these touchy feely USA liberals. If Al Gore/Bill Clinton would be in charge at the moment, we/they would still be negoiating the handover of Bin Laden etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
a$$hole.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a good review of the movie, forget the other limp-wristed variety:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=81218[/url]

Eric The(GottaSeeItSoon!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to know why the writer of the Newsday review brought up Somalians being PO'ed because of Galdiator and Pearl Harbor?  All three movies are based on actual events (though Gladiator is far removed from the truth which it was based upon).  Did you see a single Somalian in Pearl Harbor?  I didn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top