Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 1:16:19 PM EDT
Ok, so is an Eaglearms AR10 worthy?

Wife is still pushing me to buy my xmas weapon.

Want a .308 AR but DAMN, they're proud of the Armalite version. Is there another besides eagle in .308? Should I save pennies and get AR?

Also, 1st purchase will be a carry pistol. My finalists:
Springfield High Cap Compact in .45
Walther p99 in .40 (leaning towards this one)
Kimber CDP or Ultra (PRICEY though, might prohibit AR)
Colt Commander
Browning HiPower in .40
HS2000/Springfield XD in .40

Gentleman and ladies?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the upper is the working part when it comes to accuracy.  Put a good trigger in your lower and the rest is cosmetics.  You can have any reputable rifle smith build you a "will shoot the nat's banana off" upper, or you can do it yourself. (Are you asking ArmaLite vs Eagle?)

The only other .308 AR I'm aware of ( that's some what proven) is the Knight-Stoner.  They are really very proud of theirs.

As far as the pistol goes have you considered a Sig, (P239 or 229)?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Halfcocked,

Thanx. I did not like the basic feel of the Sigs

The Walther is probably gonna be the choice....just always wanted a PPK or P99.

Now on to AR10. The Eagle is like much cheaper than the Armalite. So you're saying buy an ARMALITE upper and then pick up a different lower?

Just wondering....
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote for the Walther. It's been on my list for a while, but I still haven't got around to getting it yet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
correct meif i am wrong but IIRC armalites recievers are built differently. therfore you cant swap uppers/lowers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Only difference between the Armalite and Eagles is fit and finnish...and who puts it together.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the lowers are the same except the logo.
Eagle uppers are not the same quality as the Armalite.
I believe you also only get one 10 round mag instead of 2. No sling, and no scope mount(on the A4). The scope mount is worth $85 and the 10 rounder is worth $30.
Does anyone know if the eagle has a lifetime warrantee?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't comment on the Eagle, but on the pistol I'd go for the Walther.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Of your finalists, I vote Walther.
Thanks for asking us :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry I can't help you with the .308 AR, just no experience with them.

But as far as the pistol goes, I think I'll be the odd man out here and vote for the Browning Hi-Power .40. I've got one in 9MM and love mine. Fits good in my hand, accurate, functions great, and really, I kind of like a double action gun.  

Anyway, good luck either way.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#11]
You can buy stripped Eagle lowers and uppers and assemble them yourself if you're half way mechanically inclined.  The uppers and lowers are matched before assembly for the Armalites.

Also as pointed out you don't get a life time guaranty.

If I was going to do it I would buy a stipped lower and assemble it with a match trigger and then buy an Amalite T upper.  This way you won't have an investment in special tools that you might never need again and you will have a low cost AR10 that shoots as good as any Armalite.  You just won't have the life time warranty.  If you buy the tools to assemble an upper you will have as much or more into it as a new one assembled by Armalite of the same configuration.

Also, take a look at the Springfield Ultra Compact V-10, ported barrel and Hogue wraparound grip. All Steel.

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#13]
VA-gunnut and all other Glock lovers.....

Yeah the Glock 30 is in and out of consideration....

I just don't like the safety or lack thereof on the Glocks. Maybe I'm just avoiding the POPULAR choice too. It is a nice weapon. God Bless Texas recommended it too. I think I'm gonna rent a few finalists tomorrow.

Thanks all on the Eagle Arms/Armalit .308 stuff.
Sounds like a challenge to get the uppers and lowers and build it up oneself.......

Happy New Year
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#14]
VA-gunnut and all other Glock lovers.....

Yeah the Glock 30 is in and out of consideration....

I just don't like the safety or lack thereof on the Glocks. Maybe I'm just avoiding the POPULAR choice too. It is a nice weapon. God Bless Texas recommended it too. I think I'm gonna rent a few finalists tomorrow.

Thanks all on the Eagle Arms/Armalit .308 stuff.
Sounds like a challenge to get the uppers and lowers and build it up oneself.......

Happy New Year
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Have you priced mags for your future AR-10 yet? Or availability? They're a bugger to find & pay for. If you want a 308 my suggestion is either a SA M1A or a G3 clone. The G3 clone will run you about half of what the M1A will cost you. I own a Federal Arms G3 clone that shoots wonderfully, never jams. And I also own a Colt AR-15.
As for your carry pistol, I advise staying away from the Springfields. I own their Govt model but have owned their Champion model & have shot their "V" models (ported). All but my Govt model had problems of varying sorts & had to be sent back to the factory.
I strongly recommend the Hi-Power although its design was clearly for a 9mm.
I've shot the Walther in 9mm & it was a damn accurate little gun.
I'd stay away from that Springfield HS2000 as you don't know if it'll still have parts for it next year at this time? No doubts about Colt, Walther, etc. etc.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#18]
No personal experience with the .308 Armalite, but I hear they are REALLY quirky. NOT what you would want for a SHTF rifle. If you like constantly wrenching on your rifle, then maybe the Armalite .308 is the way to go. [:D]

I hear they are just too new, and not fully de-bugged yet.

Look at GunsAmerica.com. Last I checked, there were DOZENS of them for sale. Hmmmmm...what do their owners know that I don't know????

For my money, I'd get the DSA Stg58A FAL. I got the rifle, REALLY wanting to dislike it.  Honest, I did. It wasn't American, it was old technology, it doesn't have the history or good looks of the garand, etc etc etc. But its one of my favorites now.

AR recoil with .308 punch. And 2moa at 200 yds ain't bad either.

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Paul,

Actually the Glock 30 is very small.

The SA Hi cap is a small frame 1911.

the Kimber ultra carry and CDP carry are small too.

The Walther is larger, but extremely light and the Browning is very thin and light making it more concealable. The Colt is made in several sizes.

The XD might be too large.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
DECISION MADE!!!! Just picked this up at Lunchtime!!! It is so cool!

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/041/EN/zt/f2/yi48162.jpg[/img]

Springfield Ultra Compact V-10, ported barrel and Hogue wraparound grip. All Steel.

I like it!

[pistol]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Cool!  

Seeing as I gave you such good advice can I put a mag through her?

No really, go back and look at my last post.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DECISION MADE!!!! Just picked this up at Lunchtime!!! It is so cool!

Springfield Ultra Compact V-10, ported barrel and Hogue wraparound grip. All Steel.

I like it!

[pistol]
View Quote

You never listen to me. its like talkin' to a wall with you.

You ask me for my advice SOLELY for the purpose of going against it.

[}:D]

Hope you enjoy it - it looks schweet.

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Garandman,

Did you say something?[:D]

Can't wait to punch some paper at the range tomorrow!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW!

A little disconcerting shooting with a ported barrel .45, but the first mag was dead on in the center mass. And then I started concentrating....Okay the Custom Springfield work was worth every extra penny!

I thought I was just a good shot. Damn pistol in the right hands would be scary accurate.

Picked up a Keltec P11 for a pocket 9mm yesterday at the gun show.....gonna go shoot it in a bit.....xmas was good to me...

Happy New Year all!
[<]:)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top