Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 9:28:56 AM EDT
I remember hearing about a small plane crash just off the California coast Christmas day where they pulled a single survivor out of the ocean. I thought nothing of it other than, "Man, that sucks. Chrismas Day."

Now, this morning I wake to hear that this plane crashed right off the coast of the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant and that the deceased all belonged to the same Mosque. All I could think to myself was "WTF?"

Does anyone know any more details? I hope that it was shot out of the sky, or at least light a fire up someones ass to boost security around these plants with some Phalanx guns or SAM's.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing suspicious, just your average general aviation mishap.

[url]http://ocregister.com/local/cessna01226cci2.shtml[/url]
[url]http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/california/stories_statebrk/crash_20011225.htm[/url]

While it is reported that the San Onofre plant couldn't withstand a hit from a jumbo jet, a Cessna isn't much of a risk unless it was overloaded with high explosives.  And this one wasn't in restricted airspace.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The San Onofre Nuke Plant is just north of CRQ (Palomar Airport) where the plane took off.  The were headed back for the LA area.  They were on a normal path for heading north...I used it all the time.  Why would you bother to report an engine problem if your plans were to do some damage to the plant? I think you would be saying something like "Remember the Taliban!" instead (g).

- Anarki
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top