Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 8:12:33 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to Arizona from CA.  I'm looking for jobs and calculating the cost of living.

I am paying about $3000 a year for auto insurance right now (22 years old from Los Angeles, one prior accident, wasn't my fault, family of 5 and drive a minivan) and paying $1000 for a studio that I share.

I'm looking at Scottsdale because I hear it's really nice out there.  How much does the typical 22 year old pay for auto insurance?  How much is a 1-bedroom place, and is it difficult to find a job out there?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking at Scottsdale because I hear it's really nice out there.
View Quote

While there are places that are worse than Scottsdale, there are plenty of places that are just as nice as Scottsdale (or better) for half the cost.  1-bedroom?  You could buy a 3-4 bedroom home for $700-1000 month (add $300-500 for a Scottsdale zip code).  Renting has gone up though...near $550-750/month for a 1 bedroom.  Though add $100-200 for a Scottsdale zip code.

For auto insurance, the insurance web sites will do that online...takes a few minutes to fill it out...

And the laws regarding firearms are not straight from Nazi Germany like they are in California....class III if you want, CCW, instant background check for purchases (or just show your CCW to bypass), etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It's too hot here.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
YEAH, but it's a dry-heat...!
[:D] [:D] [:D]

DOH!

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Mesa in a 1 bedroom apt. and my rent is $545 a month. It's not a bad area either. Most of the places in Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, and Gilbert are very reasonable. Scottsdale would be definitely more expensive.

As for Insurance, check out Amica. They are by far the best prices I've seen. I have a GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4 and only pay $92 a month. (The next best price I found was about $150 a month.)[url]www.amica.com[/url]

What type of work are you looking for? In general, the Phoenix area job market is doing well, with a few exceptions. The Tech market is rough right now, like the rest of the country.

Hope this helps, and Welcome !
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
stay away from Scottsdale.  all you're paying for is the name.

the east valley is nice, as 223-Buckaroo said.  my fiance and i are living in mesa in a 4 bedroom house and he's paying less in house payments than rent and storage fees combined for the one bedroom apartment he had in north phoenix.

in general things overall are cheaper in the east valley.  less snooty too.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is something to think about,IMHO. Arizona is fast becoming a full fledged "retirement" state. Many of the upcoming new retirees may well be those anti-gun liberals. FYI, check out the gun policy of AARP.
Some day I'm going to ask this board to rank the states, as 2nd amendment supporters, where they would prefer to live.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here is something to think about,IMHO. Arizona is fast becoming a full fledged "retirement" state. Many of the upcoming new retirees may well be those anti-gun liberals. FYI, check out the gun policy of AARP.
Some day I'm going to ask this board to rank the states, as 2nd amendment supporters, where they would prefer to live.

View Quote

fwiw, a vast chunk of the 'retirees' that spend their time here are seasonal.  and while i'm new to this state and don't know for sure, it would seem logical that Arizona is not their legal state of residence and therefore, their views on the gun issues are somewhat irrelevant.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to check Tucson out too. It's southeast of Phoenix about an hour and a half, only about 750,000 in the greater Tucson area too. Phoenix is too much like L.A. Plus, Phoenix is always about 10-20 degrees hotter. Phoenix football teams suck, D-backs are great though. Tucson football isn't that great but UofA basketball is awesome if you're into sports. The job market isn't bad either. What are you skilled in? The best thing are the gun laws. Open carry is allowed, and CCW is a "Shall issue" type of carry. Cost is only $50 to the state plus your 16 hours of class cost.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldnt mind to live in Arizona....  Or Florida...  Or Hawaii....  Really enjoy warm weather year round....
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
All you Caliban refugees are free to join us in Free America at any time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I just returned from Tucson last night. My parents are some of those retirees who live there most of the time. They do still vote in IL.

There are a lot of AR15.COM members in AZ & you should get a lots of advise if you decide to make the move.  antiUSSA has a couple of brothers living in the Phoenix area.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You might want to check Tucson out too. It's southeast of Phoenix about an hour and a half, only about 750,000 in the greater Tucson area too. Phoenix is too much like L.A. Plus, Phoenix is always about 10-20 degrees hotter. Phoenix football teams suck, D-backs are great though. Tucson football isn't that great but UofA basketball is awesome if you're into sports. The job market isn't bad either. What are you skilled in? The best thing are the gun laws. Open carry is allowed, and CCW is a "Shall issue" type of carry. Cost is only $50 to the state plus your 16 hours of class cost.
View Quote

not to mentain a FUN show almost every damn weekend!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
223-Buckaroo
thanks for the ins. info i just didi a onling quot and got $40 a month.im paying about $90 now
thanks
tattoo
View Quote

No problem. I'm glad to hear someone else is also paying lower insurance.

Spread the word.

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#16]
skunk,

My situation is almost exactly the same.  My roommate and I live in Scottsdale, pay about 900 a month for the mortgage on his condo.  I'm 23 and drive a chevy pickup, but I have a lot of points against me. so I pay 6k a year.  

-CK
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Green Acres is the place for me....
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#19]
You can move to AZ, if you swear to uphold the US Constitution.

We have been getting a lot of wienie gun owners who don't participate in the politcal process.
They move here, get a CCW, and just jack their jaws. We don't need anymore of that cr*p.

Waterdog

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#20]
We'ed love to have you move here.  Just don't do like some and try to make AZ like CA.

Native Arizonan married to a native Arizonan.
[8D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#21]
... Our little secret got out about 20 years ago. Folks just flooded the Valley. I just can't imagine where all those people in all those exactly same looking houses are working.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You Californians are a never-ending source of amusement, particularly when it comes to deciding where to live — You always insist on considering alternatives that are only slightly less expensive than your current state.

Here in San Antonio, a good-quality brand-new home can still be had for well under 90K. Auto insurance starts at under $50 a month (or a little more with collision coverage). There are no income taxes. We don't have any stupid "assault rifle" or handgun laws. And finally, we don't put black olives and sour cream on all our mexican food!

In short, the good life is waiting for those enlightened enough to accept it. Life doesn't necessarily end at the Continental Divide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top