Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2001 5:09:54 AM EDT
I have a buddy here at my work that wants a rifle suitable for coyotes. Only thing is he doesn't want to spend alot at all. I cannot talk him into an AR, a Rem 700, or even really a Howa. He was just going to get another slug gun.

He would like to be able to scope it if possible, and of course would like to be easily obtainable and affordable ammo. I told him there are several choices of old military rifles available for not to much and he is interested.

So any reccomendations?

Thanks

IAJack
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Mauser, $40, Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Mauser  

Brit Enfield (.303 AND .308)

Mosin Nagant

Chinese SKS (semi-auto, and also gives another "evil assualt rifle" owner out there (ulterior motives [:D] ))

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
New England Firearms or H&R's Handi Rifle. They come in just about every caliber and are a excellent rifle. Should be able to pick up one with a scope for around $200. I have one in .223 and 22-250 and are great for coyotes.

-Cruizer
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Swedish Mauser.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
All the above are good rifles, BUT don't spend to much time or energy on this. He probably will not buy one anyway.
I have found with many people it is just talk.
Oh yes, next he will want a cheap scope, it never ends.

Anyway good luck and I really hope he does get a new weapon. Then you could have another shooting buddy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Savage 10fp in 223. It's got a 1-9 twist barrel and is super accurate with the Black hills 69 gr. ammo. IMHO better and much cheaper than a remington out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
He isn’t very picky - I can’t think of any military rifle that wouldn’t do what he wants (maybe an M-1 Carbine at distance).  

I agree with Kurt, a Swedish Mauser would be about the best (I assume Kurt selected it because of the 6.5 X 55 cartridge).

Any Mauser would be fine, though mounting a scope could be a problem depending on the bolt handle.  I’ve got to think a 8 X 57 would really blow a hole in a coyote!

Lee-Enfield would also do nicely.

If it was me, and assuming moderate distances, I’d probably go for a 30-30 lever action like a Marlin.  They are cheap used and ammo is certainly plentiful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top