Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2001 7:34:43 PM EDT
So, after all of this agony over whether I should go to a dot sight on my R6530, I had a failure tonight.  I've always thought that dots would be more prone to failure than the iron sights.  Well, tonight may have proved me wrong....

So, I'm watching The Navy SEALS (yes, there is one scene with an M203 and another with a CAR, but otherwise it's MP5's and AK's galore) and hanging out by myself tonight.  Wife's out with a friend and baby's in bed.

I'm closing up after the movies done.  Have my R6530 (preban A2 LW carbine w/ M4 stock) slung tactically over the front.  Its NOT loaded and has an empty 30 round Thermold in it.  Walk out into my closed garage to dump the recyclables.  See the tree across the street in a light and decide to sight up on it as a snap drill.  I do it and see BLACK.  Something had bumped the A2 sight to rotate it 1/2 way between the close and long range peep holes.

Point being, I didn't see any target but a bunch of metal from my sights blocking my view.  I had to diagnose the problem and move on.  Another good drill, but just proves that even iron sights are not infallible.

In fact, in this case, a dot sight may have been more reliable....
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats why Champions and outher shooting supply
stores sell those little rubber covers for
ar sights. GET SOME!

Perhaps you should retitle your topic to
OPERATOR FAILURE.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The same thing could happen with A1 rear sights. I suggest using epoxy to secure the sight in a down position.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That sounds like an unfortunate bump. Not a failure. I've had my AR for seven years now and never had a problem like that. I've always been taught to be very mindful of my weapon and where it is and what's contacting it. It's like a kid. If your little one falls and goes boom you you do a kiddie function check. Hands and legs move, no apparent distress, look for bumps. Weapons can be fickle. I'm kind of an anti-scope person myself. If what happened to you happened to me in a shooting situation which would you rather have. A "look at the peep sight and flick it back" quick fix or minister aid to a battery powered scope. I know which one gets my weapon back up and shooting quickly.

Just my 0.02
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The iron sights in major and minor class
kicked the scopes ass today at the Tactical
Rifle Match.

The best shooters to a man use IRON.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top