Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2001 4:14:01 PM EDT
Great essay by Major General Smedley Butler.

[url]http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya.

This one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha ha ha har har.  Made me laugh with this trick!! [:)]

It's still not at the top & I'm [u]still[/u] laughing.  Good thing nobody else is home,. I'd be explaining for half an hour.
[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh ya.

Now I see the light.

Thanks Norm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yawn.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Same BS being posted by same BS'ers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Larry if your refering to Smedley Butler as a B.S.'er. He won the Congressional Medal of Honor twice. I think that gives him latitude to criticize those who profit from war while he and others were suffering and dying. If your referring to libertyof76 as a B.S.'er, I am often inclined to agree. I feel General Butlers essay is right on the money.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Larry if your refering to Smedley Butler as a B.S.'er. He won the Congressional Medal of Honor twice. I think that gives him latitude to criticize those who profit from war while he and others were suffering and dying. If your referring to libertyof76 as a B.S.'er, I am often inclined to agree. I feel General Butlers essay is right on the money.
View Quote
liberty, not Gen. Butler.  That's why I said posted, I was trying to be clear to whom I was referring.  Gen. Bulter's points may apply in some situations, but not all.  This was written before WWII and he called the Russians "our old friends".  Some did profit from WWII, but I believe fighting it was completely righteous and the war was not started to make them rich, nor was it started by the US.  Greed may have played a part in dragging out the Vietnam war, but not originally.  Certainly, was is being done now can't be called a "racket" except by those who think it is okay to kill thousands of American citizens.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone's prowess or bravery in battle doesn't make them more qualified to judge complex economic and political tangles and the absolute chaotic situations that result in wars.
As a matter of fact, they may be even LESS objective because the war affected them emotionally, which skews their perspective on the politics which caused the war.
In point of fact, it really doesn't matter who profited from which war, because contrary to what some conspiratorialists seem to think, corporations don't start wars.  
It's easy to make simplistic, sweeping generalizations such as Butler did in his article, but though they may be satisfying emotionally, they are lacking in evidence and in objectivity.  No one thing ever causes any war to start...there are always a multitude of causes, some more important than others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top