Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2001 12:21:19 PM EDT
So I decide to buy myself a little something on the 24th(an SKS).I walk up to the counter rifle in hand and start the paperwork.SalesGuy gets on the phone for the approval then gets an Iam sorry look on his face.DELAYED!!!Salesguy then tells me people get delayed every so often.Except that this same BS happened about six months ago and now Iam angry @#$%^&*@#$%^&*[(:)]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't feel too bad, that's happened to me about the last three times I've purchased a firearm.  Freakin common name of mine.  Next big gun thing for me is my CHL.  Hopefully I'll get that in the next couple months (or get it in the process!)

M@
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
my bushy dissipator came in last thursday. i paid for it then, and waited a few minutes for the approval...nothing. it's now been a few business days and still nothing. ahem. i'm an impatient person by nature, impatience and a yearning for my new rifle is not a good combo. i've been hitting the sack early because it'll be "tomorrow" when i wake up...another chance for the approval to be back...
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It happens to me every time.  Sometimes just and hour, normally a 3 hour delay.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Happened to me when I bought my Browning BPS shotgun. Had to wait 3 days! Finally the clerk told me that if they haven't received word back by three days, I could take the shotgun. Damn inconvient.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never been delayed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never been delayed, either.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never been delayed because I have never bought a gun out of a store yet.  Works every time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I get delayed EVERYTIME.  Just plan for it, it's ok. (Except for the needing the gov't approval thing)

Like today, I bought an ar10(T). And got delayed.

WOOOHOOOOO I GOT AN AR10T  WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

[:)]

WL
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
My mom bought me a pistol a week and half ago for Christmas and it took 3 hours to get the approval back.  I've never had an approval take more than a few minutes.  It seems that NICS might be swamped with people looking for background checks because of the skyrocketing gun sales.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I went out and bought two guns one day at two different shops in town. I was delayed on the first gun and went down the street to pay for the other one and was approved? The NICS were less than 10 minutes apart and it took another day and a half to finally be approved for the first one.

This proved to me that "delayed" means absolutely jack shit. Maybe the person on the other end of the phone misspelled your name in the computer, or maybe it was their lunch time and didn't want to waste the extra 45 seconds actually doing something and saved your transfer for later. Shortly after I got my CHL and now I don't have to mess with that stuff anymore. However, then I graduated to title II stuff and compared to that stuff the NICS wait is a joke.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
....Except that this same BS happened about six months ago and now Iam angry @#$%^&*@#$%^&*[(:)]
View Quote

If your experience follows mine you will be delayed every time you buy a gun - I am.
There is something about your name, social security number - something that is close to a "bad guy/woman."
I buy a fair amount of guns and receive them through one FFL.  I now simply fill-out the paperwork and leave.  Sometime there's an answer but most times the three-day waiting period simply expires and I'm given the gun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#14]
No delays so far, and I have a rather common name too. Actually, they go faster than I expect, 2-3 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I have never [b]NOT[/b] been delayed! At least since Nov '98. No more than 5 hours, but... it sux!

Do you think being active military, and having had a background investigation for and being cleared to "secret", might have left some residual flags in the NCIS? I've heard that many LEO's experience the same delay problem with insta-check.

I just figure the delay into the plan now.    
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Have you ever been... uh... premature?  [sex][:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought my springfield armory champion Sunday in Phoenix, Arizona and got my "OK" within 30 seconds so i dont know about the NICS system being backeed up.  though it should be noted that i think AZ DPS does all the legwork and so the gunshops in AZ dont have to call the federal number.  Of course i could be wrong, just wanted to rely that it only took me about 30 seconds to get approval sunday.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Just curious, those of you that have had delays getting a purchase approved...

Was the background check done by a state agency or the feds?
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's always done by the state to my understanding.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I was in [8D][^] TX (until Dec 2000), it was a FBI check.

Since being exiled to [:(!][V]NY, it's also a FBI check.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've never been delayed.  That's what my concealed carry license is for.  Hell, they don't even have to call for approval!  Just show the license, fill out the paperwork, and walk out the door.  Sometimes there's a payment involved as well [:D]
View Quote

Did (as in past tense) work that way in Oklahoma but no more.
I happened to be in my FFL's store about sixty days ago when the BATFolk invaded and informed him that's one of the "new" restrictions.
Do not have a clue as to whether this applies to any other state's concealed-carry permit holders.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]
[soapbox]
"Instant" my ass!

I am delayed every single time.  Once it was only 30 minutes, but usually it is somewhere around 2 hours.  The first time I bought a gun where I had to use the NICS was at a gun show.  It was late in the day, and I was still waiting when the show closed!  I had to drive back almost 100 miles the next day just to pick up my gun!  ARRRGGG!!

I can understand getting delayed the first time maybe if your name/SSN is close to some felon's.  But once you've bought and bought, you think they'd get the idea.  "Oh yeah, it's him again. He's cool."  But no....

Well, I'm officially fed up with it, and my CCW license is on the way.  No more background checks for me!  I'm just glad they included this common-sense alternative.  The legislators thought a little bit, at least.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

It's always done by the state to my understanding.
View Quote

It depends on the state. I believe the majority are done by the FBI, while a few states opted to do their own.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep, Always delayed
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I am also delayed every single time I buy a gun.  It's usally a day.  One time I let myself get pissed when they delayed me, so I demanded that the guy calling it in ask why.  Their answer just pissed me off even more.  They said that since I had bought another gun recently, I was delayed.  WTF??  I didn't think they were even supposed to have access to that kind of information.

USPC40
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Rights?  Why, you don't have any rights.  Your conveniences are put on hold whenever seen fit by the Gov't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top