Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2001 6:54:50 PM EDT
As someone doing my part in the S&W boycott, I sold my 642, and even my S&W handcuffs. On Feb. 13 I purchased a NIB Taurus M85UL stainless from a local dealer. The following week, I took it to the range to qualify. I was unable to get more than 4 rounds down range in a row without it locking up. Strings of 2 or 3, and I was OK. It would seem that the gap between the forcing cone and cylinder are too tight, so as it heats up, it expands, and locks up. I had a large bruise on my trigger finger from squeezing so hard! I was using American Ammo standard velocity FMJ. I contacted my dealer, they shipped it back to Taurus. I called Taurus, 3 times. Different folks each time. I explained that it was junk out the door, and I will not carry a backup gun that has failed me. I asked for a replacement. Well, yesterday, I got a phone call from my dealer, my gun was back. So this morning I went, had to pay $12.00 for shipping to send it, and got the same pistol back. No note explaining what, if any actions were taken to correct the problem. Needless to say, I am pissed! Taurus will never get another dime from me! I used to work at a large gunshop part time, and sold hundreds of Taurus products. And in case you are thinking I don't know what I am doing with a revolver, I am a pistol Master, Rangemaster, Firearms Instructor, Armorer on Beretta, Glock, and Colt M16/AR15. Maybe it is silly not to carry a gun that has burped. Well, my a$$ is on the line, and I have to depend on my pistol each and every day at work. If I do not have full confidence in it, I won't carry it. Taurus at least owes you the courtsey of informing you what was wrong with the pistol you sent in for repair. Mine was a brand new pistol, it should be replaced. I'm selling the POS, and getting me a Smith...FucTaurus!  
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine has this same gun and it does the same thing.  I borrowed it for a month and it was doing that to me.  I found that if I didn't short stroke it on trigger pull it wouldn't do it.  It seems the timing gear on the back was rough or something.  He is getting it cleaned up in a shop now.
I agree with you Taurus should make it right.  I have heard they usually have pretty good customer service but maybe not anymore.

I wanted one but I'll be careful about buying one.  

crash

ps-Make sure you buy your smith used so they aren't getting your money directly.  (no flames for the ineffectiveness of this "boycott". I don't care if they notice or not, I won't buy another S&W from a dealer or factory or private until they fold up or back out of their "deal")

Quoted:
As someone doing my part in the S&W boycott, I sold my 642, and even my S&W handcuffs. On Feb. 13 I purchased a NIB Taurus M85UL stainless from a local dealer. The following week, I took it to the range to qualify. I was unable to get more than 4 rounds down range in a row without it locking up. Strings of 2 or 3, and I was OK. It would seem that the gap between the forcing cone and cylinder are too tight, so as it heats up, it expands, and locks up. I had a large bruise on my trigger finger from squeezing so hard! I was using American Ammo standard velocity FMJ. I contacted my dealer, they shipped it back to Taurus. I called Taurus, 3 times. Different folks each time. I explained that it was junk out the door, and I will not carry a backup gun that has failed me. I asked for a replacement. Well, yesterday, I got a phone call from my dealer, my gun was back. So this morning I went, had to pay $12.00 for shipping to send it, and got the same pistol back. No note explaining what, if any actions were taken to correct the problem. Needless to say, I am pissed! Taurus will never get another dime from me! I used to work at a large gunshop part time, and sold hundreds of Taurus products. And in case you are thinking I don't know what I am doing with a revolver, I am a pistol Master, Rangemaster, Firearms Instructor, Armorer on Beretta, Glock, and Colt M16/AR15. Maybe it is silly not to carry a gun that has burped. Well, my a$$ is on the line, and I have to depend on my pistol each and every day at work. If I do not have full confidence in it, I won't carry it. Taurus at least owes you the courtsey of informing you what was wrong with the pistol you sent in for repair. Mine was a brand new pistol, it should be replaced. I'm selling the POS, and getting me a Smith...FucTaurus!  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have known better. That is typical of way too many Tauri. I've worked in a gun shop for a while and can say that I wouldn't ever buy a Taurus. The metal is soft, tolerances are screwed up and quality control sucks. Sure they have a lifetime warranty, but you shouldn't have to use it. And when a gun is sent back to Taurus, half the time it doesn't come back fixed right. I've got plenty examples if you want them. It's a good thing we have an in-house gunsmith to at least get the guns functional again. I'll damn S&W with the rest of us, but at least they were much, much better made and rarely broke. And when they did Smith would step up and fix it right. We just sent back a customers schitty sw9c (the one like the sw380) that would never function right. Smith replaced it with a 908. This was even after we told them we weren't interested in remaining an authorized S&W dealer. I'm sure I will get flamed for this, Taurus seems to have some ardent fans, but when you're the guy who has to deal with the customer that just bought a Taurus, that doesn't work right, you'll agree with me. I just hope that S&W gets new owners and tells the gun grabbers to ESAD!
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting......I have sent a Taurus model 96 .22, a PT 22, and a PT99 back for warrenty work. I got a note on the 96 saying it was out of time, and a nasty note saying not to use hyper velocity ammo in the PT 22. Six months ago I sent the PT99 in because it would no on longer fire. It came back with no explanation of what the problem was. The sights were way off from when I sent it in so I assume the firing pin had broken. The gun had about 1500 rounds through it at the time.

Looks like an increased demand for product and a lack of QC has created an overload in the repair department. I wonder how much of the repair problems are due to the titanium guns and loads that are too heavy. Seems like a good concept just poorly executed. IMHO
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Taurus 44 mag that is a pretty nice gun considering the money I paid for it. Has always functioned fine and is nicely accurate. But with your experiences in mind I hope I don't have to deal with the Factory. As far as the S&W boycott goes, I would not and have not bought any new S&W's and won't until they change their ways. But, I don't see a problem with buying used guns that were made prior to their going commie. The older smith's are really nice guns and alot of people overlook them in favor of a new piece, personally I prefer the quality of most of the older guns to what is being made now.
[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top