Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 7:13:44 PM EDT
What are the restrictions on the NRA hq range? I'm an NRA member, and my folks live about 10 min from NRA HQ, and I'd like to shoot ther next time I go up. Any ideas? Are NRA members allowed to shoot there, or just employees?

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Its open to NRA members.  12 Lanes, 50 yard indoor range.  You can shoot handguns and just about any high powered rifle except .50 BMG.  Shotguns are limited to slugs.  No full auto, no black powder.

Screwy hours – I think this is current:
Mon 10-5
Tue closed (scheduled events)
Wen 5-10
Thur 5-10
Fri 10-10
Sat 8:30-10 (10PM, of course)
Sun 8:30-6

It can get pretty busy on weekends, though early Sunday morning generally isn’t too bad.

A written safety test is required.  However, it is ungraded.

There is an hourly rate, but I forget what it is (maybe $12/hour?).

Don’t forget to visit the museum/bookstore if you can.  It has different hours.

Traffic is pretty rough in the area during rush hour.  I’m sure your parents know this.

Also, Blue Ridge Arsenal is nearby.  It has a range and full-fledged gun store.  I dislike both.  

Edited to add that unless you've got one where you live, you must visit Galyan's Trading Post also! ([url]www.galyans.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I live about 10-15 minutes from the NRA HQ range as well.  Nice range.  I've been there a few times (not enough).  Check the web site for their hours.  It would also be a good idea to call ahead of time to be sure there aren't any special events going on.  After submitting the short written test (about 10 minutes at most) they go over any incorrect answers and issue you a range card.

It's the nicest indoor range I've been to, but I've only been to three inclusive.  Go enjoy it!

Ed
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice range.  As said before you need to take the short written test. You take it in the training room that has posters and stuff on the wall with answers.  If you get something wrong they go over it with you just to make sure you understand. I believe it is $17 per land per hour, although if it is not really busy you can stay as long as you want.  You don't even have to be a member to shoot at the range.  Definitely check on the hours, in the summer they are consistent but in the winter they get screwy.  It is also cool to check out some of the shooting events on Tuesdays depending on what they are doing.  I have not been shooting there in some time, only because I have been shooting elsewhere and really have to need to go to a 50 yard range.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just there on Saturday...

VERY NICE PLACE !!!

I grabbed one of the flyers...
Hours are:

Monday 10AM - 5PM
Tuesday Open for Action Events
Wednesday 5PM - 10PM
Thursday 5PM - 10PM
Friday 10AM - 10PM
Saturday 8:30AM - 10PM
Sunday 8:30AM - 6PM
*Note: Hours subject to change*

Range is 50 yards (indoor), wheelchair accessible, and open to all NRA members and their guests...
12 shooting booths for pistol or rifle...
Says the backstop is able to handle up to .460 Weatherby Mag...

Fees are:
$12 HR for NRA members, and $15 HR for guests (accompanied by an NRA member)

For additional info, call the range at: 703-267-1400

It's located at:

11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA

It's worth the visit and the "PopQuiz"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top