Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 6:24:41 PM EDT
Was on my way home from exchanging presents with my dad at his house. A cop pulled me over for get this.. WINDOW TINT. Boo ****ING who.

Anyways. After the cop gave me my ticket. (his machine said it was 11.6%). Which is wrong. because I had the Lightning tinted at 10%. Max limit here is 50%.

As he walked away I told him "Tell your wife and MY kids I said hi". He just kept walking away.

Sooooo. I don't hate cops. but I think some are total A-holes. I think his ****ING ass needs to sit there and watch for drunken drivers leaving parties and not worry about my tint!

And I never go to my dads city! Only time I driver there is to see him. I think my dad needs to move.

-Kc

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Then if it's 50% limit, why did he give you a ticket for 11%???
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
???  Max is 50% and you had 11.6 measured?  I guess I'm not following.  Do you have a receipt for your 10% either where you had it installed or where you purchased it?  Go to court and prove it is 10%.

I would have said, "Merry Xmas to you too buddy"

What 'city'
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
With all that's going on right now, some cop gives you a ticket (erroneously) for the degree of tint you have on your car's window!!!

There's something fundamentally f*cked-up about that!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was on my way home from exchanging presents with my dad at his house. A cop pulled me over for get this.. WINDOW TINT. Boo ****ING who.

Anyways. After the cop gave me my ticket. (his machine said it was 11.6%). Which is wrong. because I had the Lightning tinted at 10%. Max limit here is 50%.

As he walked away I told him "Tell your wife and MY kids I said hi". He just kept walking away.

Sooooo. I don't hate cops. but I think some are total A-holes. I think his ****ING ass needs to sit there and watch for drunken drivers leaving parties and not worry about my tint!

And I never go to my dads city! Only time I driver there is to see him. I think my dad needs to move.

-Kc

View Quote

How can he give you a ticket if the limit is 50% and it measured 11%? Doesn't sound right.

But in any case he should turn a blind eye to whatever you are doing that may be illegal and go after someone else right?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, let me clarify this. The Tint has to allow 50% of light through or it is illegal. My tint allows 10% light through it.

IMHO, on trucks the back window can be Pure BLACK. No light through it at all. I honestly do not understand why on trucks the side windows can not be tinted close to the same way. If you get pulled over you put the window down anyways right???

For the cops on this board. When he pulled me over I put the window down all the way. He told me to put my window up so he could use his little machine that is off by 1.6%. What could have happened if I told him "Not officer, I will not put my window up"?

My dad lives in Virginia Beach.

Thanks

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm usually very courteous during traffic stops unless the cop is a dick, then I do whatever I can to get under their skin. Obviously this guy is a jackass for writing a ticket for tint on Christmas Eve.

It's always fun to ignore them. Eating your Taco Bell or talking on the cell phone is always one of my favorites. Laughing and talking loud on the phone and basically just acting like they aren't there are usually a sure way to piss them off. Pretend you don't see when they walk back up to the car and make them knock on the window to get your attention, sometimes you should make them knock twice. It's also good to get stuff on your hands, preferrably something sticky, for when it's time to sign the ticket. Make sure you get whatever it is all over [b]their[/b] pen and ticket book and try to smudge your signature if possible.

Remember, talk on the phone the entire time even if you are eating Taco Bell and continue your conversation until the officer leaves. Calling multiple people is permitted to extend the length of the call. Obviously making fun of the officer, while trying to act like you are not making fun of the officer, is always a good kicker.

It would also probably be pretty good to ask the officer, while pausing from you phone conversation, who the best attorney in town to contact regarding traffic tickets.

Never let them know you are pissed about getting a ticket. Make them think that you have more money than you know what to do with and that you will get the ticket quashed on principle. Never show any weakness.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Being careful on the road around holidays is always good advice.  I've seen more accidents caused by police on a holiday than I think I've seen the rest of the year caused by the rest of the population.  I had the pleasure of seeing a BMW 5-series SC Highway Patrol car make another car run over the curb to avoid being hit (in Spartanburg, SC while the officer was turning from Reidville Rd onto Blackstock Rd at 3:52 PM).  Fortunately, the disabled car was in front of a full-service gas station.  There aren't many of those around, so the victim was lucky to have had that happen there.  A SCHP officer in an LTD was following the BMW, and he didn't bother to stop either.  Those guys stick together.z
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, let me clarify this. The Tint has to allow 50% of light through or it is illegal. My tint allows 10% light through it.

-Kc
View Quote

Ok, so you were obviously breaking the law? Now I would understand him pulling you over on a day other than Christmas or Christmas Eve. I still think he is a dick for writting you the ticket, but you really were asking for it. Obviously you know the law and knew you were breaking it by getting the illegal tint, so you pretty much had this comming. I'm assuming this is a state law and not a local ordinance, of course.

In Texas the back window can be painted black if that is what someone wanted. So I kind of agree that where you're at the law does kind of suck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It's important to remember:

[b]Revenue Enhancement Never Sleeps![/b]

I hope we all feel safer now
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My brother inlaw got a ticket for not wearing his seat belt. Yes he desered it.Yes the cop was a dick but it might save his life.Only a 25 dollar fine.I will laugh some more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
WAAAAAH! I have to work on Fu**ing Christmas eve so I will take my frustration out on someone else! What a penis!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So, the cop gave you a ticket for breaking the law, and all the while you knew you were breaking the law.  You're lucky to have gotten off this long.
Maybe the law is stupid, maybe not.  But it is what it is.  Your bad, you're busted.  Get over it.
View Quote

Ya know..always some asshole that has to reply like this. I knew when i got it tinted it was illegal. So be it. I wanted it that way. I just thought it was pretty sad him giving me one on christmas eve.

Ever spit on the sidewalk? Do you smoke? Ever tossed a butt anywhere other then an ashtray? Ever gotten head? maybe anal? If you can answer yes  to ANY of these. I dont want to hear your lecture. If all of these are NO. Then preach on.

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So his mchine was off by 1.6% and your tint is really 90% and not the 88.4% he measured - and the limit is only 50%?

I think I've got this backwards or you do [whacko]
View Quote

Paul,

Local law says your tint has to allow 50% light through your window.

My window allows 10% through.  It is almost "limo" tint.

He measured my tint at allowing 11.6% light through it. Which means my tint is illegal by 38.6%

Hope this helps.

-Kc
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Just sue the tint guys to cover the cost of the ticket and any punitive damages you may have received as a result of the faulty product and false advertising. If you paid for 10% then that is what you should have received, not this 11.6% crap. I would start off by asking around town about these "tint guys". It sounds like they are running some kind of racket and maybe you could get a few people to jump on the [b]class action[/b] bandwagon! That is where the real cash starts to roll in.

Maybe after it's all said and done you could sent a nice letter to the cop who wrote you the ticket telling him how much money he actually made you. I would probably be polite and slip him a buck or two.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Too bad about the ticket on Christmas, I tend to not write between thanksgiving and New Years unless the guy was being a real jerk.  
View Quote

Hmmmmm. I wonder....

Hey, I didn't know Christmas eve was a law free day.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Had to nix my entire post, JEEZ.......anyway, were I a cop, I wouldn't have ticketed you for something trivial like that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Ya know..always some asshole that has to reply like this. I knew when i got it tinted it was illegal. So be it. I wanted it that way.
-Kc
View Quote

Geez, you KNEW it was illegal and now you're crying because you got busted?

You obviously haven't figured out WHY Limo tint on the drivers and passengers front windows is illegal in most places.

Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ever spit on the sidewalk? Do you smoke? Ever tossed a butt anywhere other then an ashtray? Ever gotten head? maybe anal? If you can answer yes  to ANY of these. I dont want to hear your lecture. If all of these are NO. Then preach on.

-Kc
View Quote

i have 5% on a 1996 gmc z71.  that stuff is great for getting road-head!  
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Lets see, the purpose of traffic enforcement activity is not revenue collection (despite what some city governments think). The purpose, as I have been taught and have practised, is to gain VOLUNTARY compliance with the law. A citation is often not needed to gain voluntary compliance.

In your case, you knew you were in violation. You probably even let the officer know you were in violation.

You also admitted to having a pretty nasty attitude with the officer. Attitude does play an important role in traffic stops. If you are displaying that you think the whole matter is BS, and you have no intention of voluntarily complying with the law, then the officer doesn't have much choice, does he? He has to take some type of action to make sure that you will comply, and you have made it clear that you will not.

Sounds like you got what you wanted (confrontation) and deserved.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Chalk it off as a cost of living.  Law Enforcement can stop you anything like seat belts, I thought you were weaving a bit, etc. Most of the time just shut-up sign your tix, and go thru the channels. This espcially true if you are going to & from a shooting session.  The LE folks would freak, the media would have a field day, and you could suffer the possiblity of having your guns confiscated.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I have to work this afternoon. I have no intention of pinching anyone. Your going to have to be a major f*ck up to even get stopped by me on Christmas day. I've been a cop for 14 years. If this one side of the story is true(usually more to it but I'll give Kgibson the benefit of a doubt) then the cop was a little unreasonalbe. That being said, he was in no way wrong. The man violated the law and got a ticket. That's what we get paid for, to enforce all laws big and small 24/7/365. My advice to the "offending" officer would be two words; "Officer Discretion".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top