Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2001 4:56:36 PM EDT
This is taken from George W. Bush's Campaign website:
[url]http://www.georgewbush.com/issues/guns.html[/url]

Supports ban on importation of high-capacity ammunition clips.

Include imported high-capacity ammunition clips to current ban.  Governor Bush supports extending the current ban on high-capacity ammunition clips to include those imported from foreign countries.
View Quote

If he supports this aspect of the AW Ban, what makes you think that the rest of it would be any different?

JT
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You can bet your fur on that one- that POS law will never go away!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I don't trust that man.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]

I hope you are wrong :(

On the bright side,what would be the political
point of initiating new gun control laws
during your first term?

And would you lose future votes by inaction ?
Always keep in mind that "campaign promises"
are just that "Promises"- And Promises are
made to be broken :rolleyes:
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
"You can bet your fur on that one"

Hmmm...  I think I need my fur... But you are most likely right.

One or two more school/workplace shootings and we will be lucky to hold on to what we have now.

Bush?  The jury is still out, but I am not encouraged.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are bummin' me out, but I don't think it will disappear either.  I'm hoping against hope though that it will.  I'm anticipating the first gun laws to come up though to see if he'll stand his ground or give way, and at this point in time I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the man.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
FACT:  It WILL expire.  But will a new bill be signed?

FACT:  Gun owners will NEVER vote for Bush if he re-signs the AW Ban.  RESULT:  He looses the election.

FACT:  Anti-gun people will not vote for him if he lets it expire.  RESULT:  He might get re-elected, just like in 2000.  That is, if all gun owners vote for him.

Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I warned you all 3 months before the election about this. I supplied the 2 articles from bush spokesmen saying that he would not let the "assault weapon ban" sunset. I supplied the above mentioned quote from the gw website. What did I get? Ad hominem attacks from people here and mostly from a worthless ny political hack. "He is only saying this to get elected!" "He is picking dick cheney and that is a positive message to the gun owners!" BAH!

UNTIL YOU PEOPLE GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS THAT THIS ISN'T A GODDAMN FOOTBALL GAME, YOU DESERVE WHAT HAPPENS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
im just hoping it dosent get more restrictive, i have a bad feeling one day new bushmasters will have a thumb hole stock and some kind of 10 rd single stack mag(not compatable with hi-caps)
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Despite all the hype these facts remain:

He hasn't done (or refused to do) anything yet.  So far he has shown a willingness to pander to the liberals on some occations and to be his own man on others (ex: the Aschroft nomination). We'll simply have to see what he does.  Above all else, get invilved if some piece of gun-conteol turd floats to the surface in the next session.

He's not my hero but he was the best choice we had, by far. He knows the NRA turned out for him in the clutch.  McCain has already shown himself to be a traitor to the values he fought for and Gore, well, don't get me started.

Give the man a chance.

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
There's no such thing as a traitor in politics.  The only issues they care about are the ones that keep them in power.  I think GW will sign an AW extension.  I've never heard of a gunlaw going away once it was on the books.  Everyone(not here, but in the real world) has gotten used to them being outlawed.  Just the same as they've gotten used to filling out forms to buy a gun, or getting turned down by big brother on the background check.  The sunset provision was a carrot thrown to Congressmen to vote for the ban and still have a political way of saying they weren't anti-gun.  Notice that sunset provisions always happen to sunset in a future term, so the politician doesn't get held accountable for his actions in that term.  The AW ban is a sacrificial cow that's already been slain.  I beleive it's here to stay as long as our currrent political system continues to run the way it does.  

Ross
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, the BUSH family is involved in, "more bad for American freedom", than most even know about, or would even believe, because of the now BUSH propaganda wing, the media!

I urge all of you to visit http://www.fsdf.org and view it with an open mind, and you will see the dark side of THEIR so-called America!

YES, my fellow Americans, "YOUR SILENCE IS THEIR CONSENT", and nothing of the TYRANNY will change, until good Americans effect the change!

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]
"Everyone(not here, but in the real world) has gotten used to them being outlawed."

MAN! I thought "Here" was the real world and the rest are in LALA land [>:/]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#14]
God I know I'm asking for it but riddle me this.

Who deserves the most respect as a person?

Politician A who campaigns in a way as to make his supporters believe he backs their views on certain issues.  And then at a later date turns coat and passes legislation to the contrary.

Or politician B who although he doesn't agree with you views at least holds a true course and sticks to what his campaign platform was.

And before I get flamed as being a Democrat I will openly say I vote for whoever's platform is in line with my beliefs. Doesn't matter what political affilitation they might be. If they mislead me just to get my vote, you better darn well believe it is the last vote they get from me.  

And yes I know they all lie.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#15]
we`ll be lucky to end up that everything stays pretty much "as is", maybe with a few refinements, which could go either way. you know that MOST politicians will step in the direction of power (money/votes) and people on his staff are paid dearly to research and advise just how that power is running. therefore, it is just as important now, as ever, to support lobby in good ole` dc for our side. i saw an ad in one of the mags stating "rejoice" right after the clouds of that stupid election cleared up, from one of the gun mfg`s. who the hell wrote that ad? a little pre-mature, if nothing else......B&G
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry guys, we have only one choice. Republican, or Blue Dog Democrats. Libertarians took enough votes away from my pro gun Republican state Senator to elect the most anti-gun Democratic state Senator the state has ever known.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I like George better than Al. I'm glad John didn't get in. Bill is fading, Hillery looks more like a dufus every day. I think we are all way ahead of where we could have been (and durn near were).  [smoke]

Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Bush supports the current AW ban, all of it, including the AUTOMATIC sunset provision.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#19]
And the answer to all of this is what?  Vote for some third party who has absolutely no chance of winning? Stay home on election day?

No, the gun issue has become rather like the abortion issue.  The only way we can change the current slide into a disarmed America is to change the perceptions of the American people on the gun issue.  I think it's working, the polls show a distinct majority supporting the enforcement of EXISTING gun laws rather than the creation of any NEW gun laws.

The American people are beginning to get more of their news from sources other than Network television.  The 'we report, you decide' type of newscast IS the future.

Just look at George W's cabinet and first fifty days in office.  Do they even remotely resemble what a Gore Administration would look like?

And as for third parties, thank God that Ralph Nader ran a pretty good campaign in Florida - his 100,000 votes would have gone to...yeah.

I no longer have any respect for Pat Buchanan. I don't care if he's preaching the gospel, he should have dropped out before November.  Only
he wanted the matching fund$ from the Federal Election Committee. Pat, we hardly knew ye!
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#20]
the answer to this? you`re right. but the thing we need the most, is for the media to be exactly up front and stop swaying facts for the sake of ratings. if you watch some of the news press programs, there are some reporters that are more realistic not simply "buying" the anti gun bull! ralph nader did do us a service, but he`s anti also! buchanan sounds ok until you listen for a while, then he starts to sound like linden larouche! his heart is in the right place, just not his mind!!!watch canadian news some time. much different type of reporting!...B&G
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I think Bush will extend the AW ban, perhaps with minor changes. [size=4]Ventura for President!!![/size=4]

[flag]
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#22]
[size=5]Ted Nugent for President.[/size=5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Once upon a time, William F. Buckley stated that this Country would probably be better off if we were represented in Congress by the first 535 names in the Boston telephone book.  The point being that the common folk have more of an understanding about what this country is about that the present-day Brahmins in DC.

I don't know about Mr. Buckley's point, since Boston folks tend to vote a little too leftist for my tastes.

How about the first 535 people in the front door at the next Dallas Market Hall gunshow?

Now that's a group with which I could find
common ground![:D]
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Gore in 4.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
jesse`s got my vote, so does ted nugent if he runs. but, we need to be real careful about that "first 535 people" thing!....
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't trust Bush to do the right thing one darn bit when it comes to the second amendment. He's made too many statements supporting some of these 'common sense' gun laws. He obviously didn't learn his father's lesson of why he lost the election in 1992.

The best scenario would be for the bill to die in Congress.

Pray for a Constitutional victory in U.S. vs. Emerson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top