Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 7:08:39 AM EDT
Do ou feel the need to say "your welcome" when you open a door(or such)when someone says _"Thank You"_?[blue] NO.. this is not a hidden agenda poll on gun owners mannerism's.[/blue] I simply do not see the need to reply "Your welcome".A smile and a nod is all I reply with.This "whench"(actually a couple of times, diffrent times+whenches!)have said LOUDLY 'well your welcome"as if to set an example.Then I think why be nice and open the door(or such)for these control freak ingrates![pissed]...At least they do not alert the authorities on me..like Imbro.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I always acknowledge a "thank you", but not always with "you're welcome". Sometimes it's just "yep". But it's the thought that counts right?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Never let the great unwashed masses determine how YOU will conduct your life.

If you were [u]raised[/u] correctly, you will automatically KNOW what to say and when. If the other person doesn't have enough sense to understand that, well, that's his problem now, isn't it?

BTW, it's more than just good manners in the South, it's required!

I remember the one and only time I ever got to use a priceless line.

In 1981, I was going through a door at the Caddo Parish Courthouse in Shreveport, when I saw a female lawyer approaching the door. So I continued to hold the door open for her, and as she walked through, she commented that I shouldn't have held the door open simply because she was a woman, and I replied:

'I didn't hold the door simply because you're a woman, but because I'm a gentleman!'

It was priceless, even she laughed at that!

Eric The(No,IDidn'tThinkUpThatLine,ButIDon'tKnowWhoDid)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Society may no longer be polite. But it doesn't mean I am no longer polite. Hold open doors, give up your seat, and ALWAYS wave thanks to the UPS driver who just delivered more goodies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#5]
There is nothing wrong with aknowledging someones appreciation for a polite gesture. "Thak you". "Your welcome". It's all very effortless. It's a sign of good upbringing and class.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
hehe

I once held a door for a "Wench" and as she passed me (No I wasn't checking her out, wasn't worth the effort)said in a LOUD voice "Chavunist Pig"

To which I replied in an equally LOUD voice,
"You're Welcome, You P.M.Sing Cow"

Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
"You're Welcome" for some reason seems trite, to me.  For the last couple of years, I've been using "Glad to."

"No Problem" seems to be typical lately.  That one irritates me.  It's as if the person you're thanking has ust done something distasteful.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Every once in awhile under the right circumstances I like to surprise 'em with a fuck you very much!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I always hold the door, but dont always say "your welcome".  The polite smile and nod comes out alot, like dnra.  Some times its your welcome, sometimes its yup.  If I am in a terrible hurry I still hold the door (instinct) but dont say anything or even make eye contact.  If it makes me rude, so be it.  I just try to be a gentleman and if they dont appreciate it, oh well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I try to acknowlege their thanks. A lot of times it may be a smile and a nod. Living in rural CO. I haven't had to put up with any ungrateful wench's. If they have been unappreaciable at least they have kept it to themselves.

Hey brouhaha. Was that F*** you and the horse you [b]tried[/b] to ride in on? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I help open the door at the gas station for a womenz. In return she gave me a real dirty look. At least she didn't call me names like they usually do.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Paul nailed it exactly.  It is a reflection.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought I was the only one who caught hell for holding a door open for a woman. I always hold the door for everyone.

I was holding the door open for some woman who said to me in a nasty voice as she approached the door "do I look like I need you to hold open the door" to which I replied "No, but I hope you got the license plate of the truck that backed over your face lady".  I let the door go in her face. SUB!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I always hold the door if there is someone coming behind me. What I hate are the ones that walk right on by without saying anything and without sticking their hands out to receive the door. They think that you are their personal door man. If the person is a female, I'm ok. But if it's a guy, then he's a real asshole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top