Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2008 4:00:37 PM EDT
do you use his rank at the time of the statement or his rank when he retired?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard it said something like "The 1st Marines were commanded by then colonel chesty puller."

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You say you're quoting this person?  If it's just a quote, you use the current rank.  If it's something said in context of a larger story that happened in the past, it would be appropriate to use the rank at the time of the events.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Normally, yes. There are probably some exceptions. I wonder for example about a S/NCO who did a temp rank as a Capt. running something like a recruiting station. Obviously the correct rank would be the S/NCO he retired as, but some could extend him the courtesy call of "Cap'n", perhaps?

I want to say I've heard of post-retirement promotions, but I may be confused on thinking that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top