Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2008 8:40:10 PM EDT
For those of you with CMP Garands, do you feel the extra $100 for a service grade Garand is worth it? I'm more concerned about the mechanical soundness than appearance of the weapon.

Also, I read on CMP's website that some rifles may not be safe shoot. Have any of you ever received a Garand from CMP tha was not mechanical sound enough to be fired?

ETA: Also, is 30-60 days their actual delivery time, or do they normally beat that? (I think I remember hearing people getting them pretty quickly).

Thanks,

MX
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For those of you with CMP Garands, do you feel the extra $100 for a service grade Garand is worth it? I'm more concerned about the mechanical soundness than appearance of the weapon.

Also, I read on CMP's website that some rifles may not be safe shoot. Have any of you ever received a Garand from CMP tha was not mechanical sound enough to be fired?

Thanks,

MX

WTF ?

was this referring to THEIR rifles?

maybe the 1903s with receivers that had bad heat treatment? ( certain serial numbers had issues )
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

MX

WTF ?

was this referring to THEIR rifles?

or the 1903s with receivers that had bad heat treatment?

On the order form it states:

"I also acknowledge that the rifle which I am applying to purchase is a military surplus arm in used condition and sold to me strictly as is, with no warranty express or implied. I understand that:

1. The rifle may not function properly or be safe for me to use in the condition in which I receive it"

I was just wondering whether or not that was just there for legal reasons of if there are ever Garands sold that need some work before being safe to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The blurb about being unsafe to shoot is their CYA liability line they have to put out there.

IMO the extra $100 is worth it as it gets you a better barrel.  

I have had 4 M1's and a M44 from the CMP, only one was a real POS.  It was a Greek rack grade that I got when they were less than $300.  It came with no rifling at all for the last several inches of the bore, the rear sight elevation serrations on the reciever were worn smooth.  I cut the barrel about 10" in front of the reciever, stripped it, bead blasted it and reparked it.  Sold the reciever for $175, the rest of the parts brought me about $250.  So I made out on the rifle.

Get the service grade.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The CMP is now test firing the M1's prior to sale. If you can travel to either the North or the South Store, you can get a decent field grade if you take the time to check them over and gauge the throat and muzzle erosion. If your having it shipped to you, I'd pay the extra 100 bucks for a service grade. Here's a link to CMP M1 sales. http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top