Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2008 3:53:06 PM EDT
From this thread

OP stepped in to help Wal-Mart employees help detain a suspected shoplifter, and left his 3 month old son in the care of another Wal-Mart employee to do so.  What would you have done?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Look and remember be a good eyewitness.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Minded my own business, don't need to get sued.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]

I read the original a while back, but minded my own business...

Seriously, there's no way in hell I'd abandon - and that's right, I consider that abandonment - my 3 month old kid.

Leaving an adult to stop a crime is one thing.

But a 3mo can't even protect itself.

Sorry, but in my book that's dumb.

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Walmart can handle their own business.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoplifters aren't my problem.  My own kids are.

I don't have kids, but that's how I'd feel.  If their security isn't tight enough to prevent shoplifting, that's their fault.  I've noticed endless gaps in their cameras, security, etc.  Also, they should have the cameras active instead of so many being "dummy" cameras.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
No way in hell I'd leave my young'n to nab some WalMart thug. Take care of your own.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My kids come first.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a kid, so I would step in to help.  If I did, I'd probably step in if it looked like the 17 y.o. kid was going to get hurt.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The 3 month old Kid gives me reservations and I would have to actually be there before I can honestly say how I would react.
I voted without a Kid I would help and what would press me is seeing the first WM employee geting knocked cold and then the 17 year old ready to take an "Ass Whoopin".
To bad it didn't happen in the sporting goods section, you could grab a Louisville Slugger or one of those cheap Golf Clubs they sell at Wally World
But I can honestly say I would have to be there, in my life I have reacted on instinct, it has kept me alive all these years, well so far anyway so I can't honestly answer unless I was there, this is without the kid, but who knows?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Kids come first, a shoplifter is walmarts problem
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe it was another wal-mart CUSTOMER
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember a similar situation where the shoplifter pulled out some sort of blade and fucked some peoples shit up before he was subdued.

Not my fight.

Let the Wal-Mart experts earn their $8.50
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't have a kid, so I would step in to help.  If I did, I'd probably step in if it looked like the 17 y.o. kid was going to get hurt.

Same here.
I don't have a kid but I'd damn sure try to do anything possible to help anyone who needed it.

I find it ironic that so many hard bodies here would abandon someone in need because "it's not their problem" - but at the same time would probably cry crocodile tears if they were in the same situation but everyone stood around and no body came to help.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I nailed a shoplifter a few years ago.

I happened to run into my mom outside of the local grocery store. A guy came running out, full speed, towards his car. A carton of cigarettes fell out of his coat; my mom (in one of her see-good-in-all-people moments) called out, "Sir, you dropped your cigarettes!"  

He kept going and got in his car.  The manager was running out of the building, as the guy started to leave I calmly walked to the back of his car and memorized the license plate number.  The cops picked him up a few hours later at his house (75 miles away) with several cartons of stolen cigarettes.

He was busted just as well as if I would have tackled the guy in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 3 month old Kid gives me reservations and I would have to actually be there before I can honestly say how I would react.
I voted without a Kid I would help and what would press me is seeing the first WM employee geting knocked cold and then the 17 year old ready to take an "Ass Whoopin".
To bad it didn't happen in the sporting goods section, you could grab a Louisville Slugger or one of those cheap Golf Clubs they sell at Wally World
But I can honestly say I would have to be there, in my life I have reacted on instinct, it has kept me alive all these years, well so far anyway so I can't honestly answer unless I was there, this is without the kid, but who knows?

Pretty much what I thought.

My son's 3 and no way in hell I'd leave him to stand by, but If im by myself theres a good chance I'd do what I could to help.

I'd have to be put in that position to say how I would really react though, not gonna say for sure what I'd do.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Not my fight.  I am not paid to apprehend shoplifters, and frankly most retail stores don't even bother... they'll let the perp walk out the door and give the video to the cops.

You're putting your life at risk dealing with tweakers like that.  For no reward other than some satisfaction.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The "Person steps up to help and gets totally fucked up and/or over" scenario has become so commonplace it's almost a cliché.

Yeah, it sucks... but I don't make the rules.

Not to mention, when I see people doing really dumb shit, my first instinct is usually not to join in.

Would I have have helped the guy fighting with the shoplifter?

Yeah, I would have yelled out, "Hey moron, what the hell are you doing? Just let him go".

And if I was with my kid... forget it... you're on your own.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Walmart ought to hire real security.  The grocery stores around here hire off duty cops.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#20]
If a store employee uses poor judgment to wrestle with a thief over merchandise, I'll not compound this poor judgment by getting involved.  We are talking about stuff and using poor judgment.  Get a tag and call the cops.  But it's his job to strong-arm thieves, he made a poor job decision.  If he gets shot and/or disabled, I doubt wallyworld will look after him or his family from now on. Leaving a kid with a stranger to bring down a thief just to save wallyworld a few dollars, is even worse judgment.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck no, you can bet your life that if the kid had gotten crippled by that guy, walmart would hang him out to dry.  If he's lucky they'd keep him on 6 hours a week as a fill-in receipt checker.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Would I have have helped the guy fighting with the shoplifter?

Yeah, I would have yelled out, "Hey moron, what the hell are you doing? Just let him go".

"Is Wal-Mart going to pay you a percentage of their stuff they save?"

I wouldn't take a job as loss prevention unless it was about the last job on Earth.  Why would I do it for free?
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Pretty damned stupid.  But I thought it was bullshit all the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top