Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2001 3:56:52 PM EDT
This is a story about my local gun dealer Harry Beckwith and the time his store was robbed by a gang of seven thieves.

www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html

This guy is now 72, smokes like a chimney (cigars at that), very frail looking, but I wouldn't dare mess with him.  He's one of the nicest people you will ever meet.  I try to go to his shop at least once a week just to shoot the sh*t.  Anyway, enjoy.

brian73
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember when this was published in 95'.  Wish he gone to the hill to testify that year.  Maybe there will be another time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html[/url]

After reading this story if I had a 9mm I
would dump it....perp survives head wound
because the 9mm bullet was flattend going through the windshield....
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I remember reading about this.  I was impressed with his humanity.

And he certainly seems well appointed:

"He reached for the weapons he had laid out for just such a contingency.

"First was a Charter Arms Bulldog revolver in an old Bucheimer crossdraw paddle holster. It slipped easily into place in front of his left hip. It was loaded with five rounds of his favorite .44 Special ammunition, Winchester Silvertip hollowpoint.

"Next came the Model 76 submachine gun. One magazine was in place, the bolt properly closed, "condition three." More magazines were rubber-banded to the extended stock. Beckwith had found this to be a faster way to access them than to attach a pouch in the same place. He slung the licensed submachine gun over his right shoulder.

"He picked up an AR-15, a gun he has always described as a "Colt Sporting Rifle." It contained one magazine downloaded to only 15 rounds. Another such magazine was banded to its plastic stock as well.

"With the other hand, he scooped up a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge semiautomatic shotgun, already fully loaded.

"Figuring he was ready for anything, Harry Beckwith quietly stepped out into the shadows, moving away from the house in the direction of the shop, some 100 paces distant."

I've timed my self and it takes me less than 60 seconds to go from zero to full kit (.45 plus reloads and AR15 plus reloads).  They say this sh!t only happens to 1 in a million, BUT WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU'RE THAT ONE?!?!

Beckwith was.  He was prepared.  He and his family lived to tell about it.

HoooooooAaaaahh!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Great story...

I assume he knew using the full auto would get him into hotter water with a grand Jury..  He should have laid the full auto down or kept it slung for back up.. Just using the ar15 but with higher capacity mags..

Hard to believe he unloaded what..  30 rounds of 223 into the first car and only hit the guy once...  It would be nice to know what grain and 223 round he was using and what rifle too...  

I think I would have had less concern for the subs lives... and I cant believe there are only two states..  Florida and Washington who will reimburse a victims legal fees if he is found not guilty....  Knowing that, He still chose to represent himself?

The Old Man has Huge balls or lives a death wish... Both a problem I have too  [;)] Reminds me of when the police car full of cops foolishly drove up to the full auto shooting bank gunman in LA ..  those were some lucky SOB'S that day too..... if the gunman had stepped to the right , those cops would have been mincemeat....

realist out

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I loved reading that. I think he is speacel.
I wonder what his wife was thinking when she heard all that shooting going on ?
I allso likethis "the truth will out"
Good story.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
this old fellow must be a pretty good guy, i would have probaly went straight for kill shots.

too bad he didnt have a beta-C for that ar
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent story!

Thanks for posting it.

[uzi]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html[/url]

After reading this story if I had a 9mm I
would dump it....perp survives head wound
because the 9mm bullet was flattend going through the windshield....
View Quote

READ everything... the 9mm. were HOLLOW POINT... in the old Europe 9mm. is known (unfortunately) because when used for CQB has overpenetration problems...
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
so much for the mighty .223.....   [frag] [:D]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hard to believe he unloaded what..  30 rounds of 223 into the first car and only hit the guy once...  It would be nice to know what grain and 223 round he was using and what rifle too...  

View Quote

I'll find out, assuming he still remembers.

brian73
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Now that makes for interesting reading.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for posting the story.  It was a great piece to show my wife.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting the story.  It was a great piece to show my wife.
View Quote

Your welcome.  When I first came upon the story, I was at the cash register at Harry's shop paying for my new USP .45 and I looked over and on the wall he had newspaper articles about the shootout.  I asked him about it and he started telling me parts of the story.  That grand jury really pissed him off I think cause he kept harping on it and I remember him saying something like "they (the grand jury) asked me why I fired 105 rounds, and I told them 'where I come from 7 to 1 aint good odds'". I couldnt agree with him more.  When i got home I did a quick search and found his website and he had the story posted--it was such an awesome story I had to share it with you guys.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
whoo hoo,  Im a full fledged member now
brian73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top