Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2008 12:04:27 PM EDT
I really haven't done too much research on this, since we here, seem to rely on our guns usually.

But, my wife (who has taken self-defense pistol courses and kicked some ass in them), just got a new job.  Carrying a gun is not going to work.  The area isn't that good, though (it's downtown).  

*What kind of "spray" is considered the "best?"  (Easiest to carry/deploy, most effective).

*What is the shelf life?  

*Anyway to "practice" with it, to know how it disperses and get proficient with quick deployment?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This
OC Spray.

http://www.dtdistributors.com/fox.html

Not this
Mace

/thread

OC grenades are fun.
Fox Labs 6 oz. OC Lock-On Grenade

Hand held units designed for throwing. "Lock-On" style for continuous discharge of contents. Ideal for control and disbursement of crowds or for securing of a confined area.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Fox or Sabre Red.

Sabre Red hurts.

Get the stream spray, to much chance of cross contamination with cone spray.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Get Fox Labs 5.3...  It tends to be the favorite for self defense, and it hurts like hell.  If you look, you can find an inert spray that is excellent for practicing.  Shelf life averages between 5-10 years, just look at the can.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.dtdistributors.com/fox.html
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/ILIKEPIE_2008/dtdistributors_2029_28816042.jpg

/thread

OC grenades are fun.
Fox Labs 6 oz. OC Lock-On Grenade
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/ILIKEPIE_2008/dtdistributors_2029_27691951.jpg

Hand held units designed for throwing. "Lock-On" style for continuous discharge of contents. Ideal for control and disbursement of crowds or for securing of a confined area.

Does the Fox stuff have an adhesive in it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say pepper spray over mace. There is usually some kind of "expiration date" on the container when you get it. Having been sprayed with it three times in training during my Navy days I'm not willing to get sprayed with old stuff just to see if it's weaker now. I would however replace it as it reaches the date. You can buy training units that spray water for practicing.

We carried First Defender MK-3. Obviously something on your belt would be the easiest to deploy, simply because its right there at hand. It has a nice cover over the button to help prevent accidental spraying.

It is nasty shit and I hated every second of it when I had to be sprayed. I have seen people that it didn't affect that badly however. Some people react more, some less. I never want to experience it again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Fox labs FOR THE MOTHER FUCKING WIN!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fox labs FOR THE MOTHER FUCKING WIN!!!!!

Quite exuberant!

But which one to get?  There are 2% stream/fog  and 5% foam ones.

There are small keychain models etc.

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The stream is what I like as it has longer reach, the fog does not have as much reach and is more sensitive to the wind.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
OC.
cannister will have expiration date on the can.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anybody even make REAL mace any more? Last I heard it actually did damage to the eyes on occasion, like if it wasn't washed out in a timely manner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top