Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2008 9:45:25 AM EDT
am trying to free up some space on my computer by deleting files i dont need anymore. and when i look and see how much my c drive is taking up it says its using 25.9 gigs of space. but when i check to see how much my program file, windows file and other mic files in my program file it says its using about 15gigs of space. whats up with that? and does anyone have any advice on how to free up space my computer is a few years old
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You are not looking at hidden and system files.

Best to uninstall all programs not used.

Or buy a larger hard drive, they are cheap now
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Uninstall programs you don't use anymore.  These typically fill C:\Program Files\

You can also reduce the size of your recycle bin/trash.  The computer reserves a certain % of disk space for the recycle bin.  I think default in Windows is 10%, but it might be 5%.

You could also buy another hard drive and simply add it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
will replacing or adding another hard drive void a warranty?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Use Disk Cleanup and choose more options. then check delete System Restore's. That can eat a HDD up quickly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Warranty on what?  If you're asking about the warranty on your computer, you stated the company is "a few years old" which means that you're out of warranty already, anyway.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It shouldnt void anything.

If it does, dont buy from them again

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
ok thanks for the help guys. i got a extended warranty when i bought the computer its still under warranty for about 10 months of so. only reason i asked is because am getting it worked on because the speakers cut off and on.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're running Vista, you can delete everything in this folder

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

It's usually got a few gigs. It's hold a copy of all of your patches and windows updates. They're just copies, so no harm in deleting them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Make sure you try and delete any programs you dont use via control panel / add / remove programs then look in the other directories as mentioned. Use the disk clean up and defrag the hard drive.

If you have any more questions you can IM me here as well.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]

will that fit into a labtop?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

will that fit into a labtop?

no.. sorry i did not ralize it was a laptop... :-( Sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top