BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 8:33:48 PM EDT
You'll put your eye out, kid!

Son-of-a-bitch must have went 90 feet!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do builds over carpet, ask me how I know!

Concrete is good, but nothing gives of an audible detent location signal like glass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a baggie over the detent/spring/receiver when I'm putting it in, if I'm not feeling lucky.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I put a baggie over the detent/spring/receiver when I'm putting it in, if I'm not feeling lucky.

I use a pillow case or a blanket.  I would have lost a few of them if not for the blanket.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
oh yes i've launched one before , luckily it landed next to me and i found it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
What fun! I launched one on my first build, way into the dark crap-filled recesses of my garage, never to be seen again. The guys at the gun shop had a good laugh at my expense when I went to get a replacement. I think the first thing he asked me was, "How far did it go?"
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite sound is when the detent hits the ceiling and then you hear it land "somewhere" ,but will never find it until you run the sweeper.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I built one at my mom's house last year. I was sitting in the living room, and completely forgot about the violently adventurous nature of the detent. That thing hit at least a dozen objects in its travels, finally coming to rest in the wood bin amidst bark fragments, rocks, etc. I looked for an hour and gave up.

FOUR MONTHS LATER, my mom was vacuuming up the bark bits and FOUND the damn thing. I couldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My favorite sound is when the detent hits the ceiling and then you hear it land "somewhere" ,but will never find it until you run the sweeper.  

This one hit the ceiling and bounced all over the shop like a pinball...

It sort of reminded me of that movie "Flubber" with that magical bouncing goo!

Oh well, it wasnt my first time and I bet it wont be my last...

Im gonna try it again in the morning!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out my thread on this subject- beer bottle to the rescue
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The first lower I ever put together, I had one fly and hit the ceiling, fall back down and land right next to the detent hole. I use a walmart bag now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 21" LCD monitor with a permanent divot in the top middle of the screen from doing a build at my computer desk.  Won't make that mistake again.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check out my thread on this subject- beer bottle to the rescue

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a m-14 bolt's ejector fly across the room and bounce off the wall.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah i've launched some springs. Actually pretty funny cause i was doing it in my living room, and the first one all i heard was it hit the ceiling then the box of gallon water jugs behind me. After tearing open the box i actually found the spring, phew.

Then i proceeded to give it another go, the thing flew again and hit the ceiling, then i heard it hit the tissue box behind my couch. I tear that thing open and sure enough, it was actually inside the box, phew.

I then went into the bathroom and closed all the drains and finished the job, lesson learned
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
luckily i did my first one RIGHT after buying my house, so it was on a clean hardwood floor with no furniture around.  3 flew away, 2 bounced back at me, and the other one was found about 20 feet away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top