Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 5:49:15 AM EDT
Does anyone know how long will the UAW workers at the now closed Janesville, Wis plant continue to get paid?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What was the root cause of it being closed?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lack of demand for SUV's?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Caused by high gas prices, right?  But now gas is as cheap as it has been in five years.

So what is the root problem?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
From everything I've heard about UAW contracts lately I'd seriously be surprised if I found out that those workers *were not* going to get a full salary until the day they die.  Nice work if you can get it.

-Gator
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Janesville is a pick-up truck plant.....lack of demand for light trucks. Morain is an SUV plant,(Trialblazer/Envoy),and is not a UAW plant,CWA I think,goes back to the days when Morain was a Fridgidair plant.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Supply and demand.

Sure there might be a demand now that fuel prices have dropped but at the same time most folks seem to be holding their money a little longer.  On top of that how much does it cost per vehicle in labor?  I'm sure these plates have a much higher labor cost.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The continuing failure of GM to reliably provide a quality product or service at a competitive price. Included in that are GM, UAW, GMAC and the dealer network.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#9]
They make the Chevy Tahoe in Janesville. 50 office workers will remain until June.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Caused by high gas prices, right?  But now gas is as cheap as it has been in five years.

So what is the root problem?

In the world of petroleum what comes down will go back up. Lack of demand for SUVs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
After they die their children get full pay and their children afterwards

This continues for ever.

It was in the contract in the 30s
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They make the Chevy Tahoe in Janesville. 50 office workers will remain until June.
My bad,Janesville used to make pick-ups and Kodiaks,the Kodiaks,I think,were moved over to Flint Truck and Bus Group.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The continuing failure of GM to reliably provide a quality product or service at a competitive price. Included in that are GM, UAW, GMAC and the dealer network.

I believe this to be an accurate statement.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I put in 30 years at the Janesville Plant and the market killed the suv. As far as pay goes..you get 26 weeks of unemployment and who knows when GM will pull the jobs bank money.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just deliver a good product. Their cars are terrible, pretty much worn out by 150,000 miles; but their trucks are good, so far anyways.

The USA Big3 car makers have pretty much ceded the car market to their competitors, but the competitors are working hard on the truck market too.

Chrysler dropped the ball when they invented the minivan. Chrysler should have a huge part of that market, but unfortunately that is being dominated by Toyota and Honda.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I started there in 1998 not UAW but Teamsters Janesvillle was the oldest plant gm had. they recieve 95% off their pay until the current contract expires. 10 years down the tubes but I'm locked in with the union $1297.00 a month the rest of my life
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]
The Easy Money spigot has been turned off (loans in amounts far beyond the borrowers' means to pay off).  Hopefully this is a permanent reduction in sales for all durable goods to a more affordable, practical level.

Automakers, just like home builders got used to selling luxury models to people who can't afford them.  Easy loan money means more buyers, means higher prices.  The price of new cars and trucks reached ridiculous levels.  I live in an area with a large population of illegal Hispanic immigrants doing lawn care and agricultural jobs.  Yet on weekends I can see a flood of Hispanics driving very new and expensive F-350, F250, SUVs, and 18" custom wheels and low profile tires.  Not all of them are illegals or doing labor jobs, but there are way to many $30K+ vehicles being driven around by the "poor downtrodden" day laborers.  I make $120K/yr and many of them are driving nicer trucks than I would ever dream of buying (an old workhorse Ford or Chevy truck is fine by me).

As the easy loans dry up the units sold will drop and the prices will eventually be forced to drop until the hyper-inflation from the bailouts kick in which will further dry up the number of new buyers when their dollars earned won't buy an inflated priced vehicle.

On top of those basic economic pressures the US automakers also have absurd labor costs that no other American industry (except Congress) operates under.  There has to be a MAJOR restructuring of defining what is an affordable car/truck, labor costs, and planning for much lower sales volumes of new vehicles.  I think we have seen "Peak Cars".

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Chrysler dropped the ball when they invented the minivan.

WTF!  Are you really claiming the VW bus didn't exist for decades before Chrysler finally got into that market?z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top