Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 5:20:21 AM EDT
the  whole article can be had here its worth emailing this to friends
it has to do with dealing and fighting with Muslim pirates similar whats going on  off the coast of Somalia

http://www.khouse.org/articles/2007/691/     copy paste it to you browser  haven't figured out how to make it link

a few excerpts:

Jefferson also figured that the best way to learn about the political, military, social, economic, and religious agendas of America’s enemies was to read the best textbook on all things Muslim. So he read the Koran in what for his day was a state-of-the-art translation into English directly from the Arabic. Jefferson’s copy of the Koran equipped him with everything he needed to know on how to respond to threats from the caliphates of the early 1800s.

During the early formative years of the United States, our forefathers fought an international group of terrorists who, like today’s conservative, Wahhabi-type, radical Muslims, made no distinction between geopolitical nation states. They were called the Barbary Pirates. They were from the Barbary Coast of North Africa. Allusion to the affair can be found in the words “…to the shores of Tripoli” mentioned in the Marine Corps Hymn.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee, is everybody politically correct and not commenting.  He knew our enemies back then..........just as any intelligent person knows them today.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would agree with his premise for owning it.......to know your enemies, know what's in their minds and what ideas they subscribe to
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gee, is everybody politically correct and not commenting.  He knew our enemies back then..........just as any intelligent person knows them today.

Ok, ok.....   Thats why he had the book.   Jeez...  

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Threads of this nature will be mostly if not completely ignored. I'm shocked there are any replies.

We should know our enemy and how long we have fought against them.

Good thread here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=794729
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This shouldn't be a shock; Jefferson was one of our country's greatest thinkers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, didn't you get the memo.  The Islamists are not our enemies... they just hate George Bush therefore they are the enemy of the enemy, thus they are our friends.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#8]
IBCAIRRCAACTTUSCWAWBMIT7CAWPBIWDBTJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS.

In before a CAIR representative comes along and claims that the US Constitution was actually written by Muslims in the 7th Century, and was perfect before it was distorted by the Joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, didn't you get the memo.  The Islamists are not our enemies... they just hate George Bush therefore they are the enemy of the enemy, thus they are our friends.

Sorry, my bad.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe we need to read the Koran as well tp give us insight on how to counter Obama!

Merry Christmas  MF's!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a Koran.  I have read it and continue to refer to it when I see articles about what it says.  It is always best to verify information.

I acquired it to so when I read the PC Guide to Islam I could "fact check" and to allow myself to understand the thinking of those who oppose the values of the West I hold so dear.  As they say, information is power.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have all kinds of books about topics and beliefs I am not for so I know how other people think. I even have a Hari Krishna book on vegetarians that was given to me at a Dead Show LOL. I have been thinking about reading the big "O" 's book so I could know what he really thinks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gee, is everybody politically correct and not commenting.  

That's an interesting conclusion to arrive at.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gee, is everybody politically correct and not commenting.  

That's an interesting conclusion to arrive at.

I am just trying to tread lightly on something I have had my wee wee slapped for in the past.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Well the analogy fails a bit,because the answer to the barbary pirates was naval bombardment of their cities,without regard to who was in them. Essentially burning down the pirates,their families and everyone who supported them or lived near them. Eventually, occupation of Algiers solved the problem.
The historical theory of group culpability is no longer accepted by first world powers,making complete destruction of the pirate's cities and towns impossible politically.

Therefore the historical solution has no real application unless political will in the first world changes (unlikely since this isn't as big of a problem as the barbary pirates were).
The scale involved in Somalia is pretty minimal compared to the Barbary pirates,who were actively raiding European towns and enslaving the populace.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure a Christian site, which labels Russia "Magog" is going to provide an unbiased view of Islam.

I also find the logic VERY convoluted.  

It suggests that Jefferson became interested in studying Islam when faced with the threat of Islamic pirates around 1800, so that he could better understand the enemy - and therefore purchased a Koran.  

The problem with that logic is that Jefferson purchased his copy of the Koran in 1765, when he was a university student, long before he entered public office or was elected to anything, and long before anyone cared about Islamic pirates.

Whoops.

Indeed, many people in those days studied other religions not for the purpose of converting or for "knowing your enemy" but for pure knowledge sake. People also studied Greek and Latin were they preparing for a Greek invasion of the US?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Read the book "Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival"

http://www.amazon.com/Skeletons-Zahara-True-Story-Survival/dp/0316835145
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure a Christian site, which labels Russia "Magog" is going to provide an unbiased view of Islam.

It suggests that Jefferson became interested in studying Islam when faced with the threat of Islamic pirates around 1800, so that he could better understand the enemy - and therefore purchased a Koran.  

The problem with that logic is that Jefferson purchased his copy of the Koran in 1765, when he was a university student, long before he entered public office or was elected to anything, and long before anyone cared about Islamic pirates.

Whoops.
Soooooooo Tom was Muslim, no wonder he kept slaves.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Better question would be, why did Thomas Jefferson have slaves?

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Whoops.

Jefferson was a Deist.  Perhaps it had something to do with his personal religious philosophy studies.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's obvious now, he was muslim
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Having someone else pick your cotton is far preferable to picking it yourself.  This is a certain thing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would agree with his premise for owning it.......to know your enemies, know what's in their minds and what ideas they subscribe to

+1

HH

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He inherited them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#28]
<please read the CoC again, carefully - DK>
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
the  whole article can be had here its worth emailing this to friends
it has to do with dealing and fighting with Muslim pirates similar whats going on  off the coast of Somalia

http://www.khouse.org/articles/2007/691/     copy paste it to you browser  haven't figured out how to make it link

a few excerpts:

Jefferson also figured that the best way to learn about the political, military, social, economic, and religious agendas of America’s enemies was to read the best textbook on all things Muslim. So he read the Koran in what for his day was a state-of-the-art translation into English directly from the Arabic. Jefferson’s copy of the Koran equipped him with everything he needed to know on how to respond to threats from the caliphates of the early 1800s.

During the early formative years of the United States, our forefathers fought an international group of terrorists who, like today’s conservative, Wahhabi-type, radical Muslims, made no distinction between geopolitical nation states. They were called the Barbary Pirates. They were from the Barbary Coast of North Africa. Allusion to the affair can be found in the words “…to the shores of Tripoli” mentioned in the Marine Corps Hymn.

Same reason I have two translations.

If you depend on Hannity for your knowledge of the world, you will always remain ignorant and oh so sure of yourself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Or maybe everyone's not commenting cause we beat the topic to death back when Ellison was swore in on it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why did Thomas Jefferson have a Koran ?

Because Thomas Jefferson was a very smart man and he knew, that in 2007 that there was going to be a douchebag  M***** from Minnesota that was going to need it to be sworn into his Congressional Office

He's actually using Lincoln's Bible.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#32]
nvm
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Thomas Jefferson was a very smart man and he knew, that in 2007 that there was going to be a douchebag  M***** from Minnesota that was going to need it to be sworn into his Congressional Office

Obama isn't from MN. Keith Ellison is.

Why is this so hard to keep straight for some people?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obama isn't from MN. Keith Ellison is.

Why is this so hard to keep straight for some people?

IL, MN.     What's the difference?
Ref: Al Franken's election.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe he was simply an educated, philosophical, and curious person who wanted to see if the book had any insights into the human mind and spirit that could expand his own understanding of humanity as a whole.  Since the US was to be established as a nation of religious freedom, a future politician should want to understand human nature, and all it's religions, and not just the narrow subset of one's own existence.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I intend to get a koran and read it as soon as I'm done with The Bible.

As stated before, know thy enemies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Jeeez, talk about trying to "read into" something.

I have studied the world religions too. I've read most of the religious books of the world for curiosity mostly but also for the education of it.

I'm sure Jefferson felt the same way.....and remember people read a LOT more back then as opposed to today.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I intend to get a koran and read it as soon as I'm done with The Bible.

As stated before, know thy enemies.

Which are your enemies?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I am distantly related to Jefferson, and I can assure you that he was not a muslim.

He was a scholar and probably wanted to learn more about them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoops.

Jefferson was a Deist.  Perhaps it had something to do with his personal religious philosophy studies.

Doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with being a Deist or a Christian or whatever.  It could also just be a matter of curiosity.

I am a Christian, and I have owned copies of stuff like the Koran, the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, as well as other Christian texts like the Apochrypha, the Book of Mormon, and other stuff - just to be able to read them out of curiosity.  I certainly owned the Koran long before 9/11.  Doesn't mean it's NOT useful in order to read and try to understand the particular insanity of extremist muslims now, but it's not why I bought it or originally read it.

I got mine as a gift for attending a Muslim wedding last year:

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#41]
We will never abolish Islamic terrorism, because we don't have the stomach for massive civilian casualties. Nor are we willing to segregate Muslims from non Muslims, both of which would be required to seriously address the issue. What we will end up doing is watching our government create a police state, in the name of stopping terrorism, which is a cure far worse than the illness.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Jefferson was one of the most brilliant American citizens to ever live.

That pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Psssssssst, didn't realy think he was, I was joking. Shhhhhhhh Don't tell anybody
Quoted:
I am distantly related to Jefferson, and I can assure you that he was not a muslim.

He was a scholar and probably wanted to learn more about them.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I own a Koran.  I have read it and continue to refer to it when I see articles about what it says.  It is always best to verify information.

I acquired it to so when I read the PC Guide to Islam I could "fact check" and to allow myself to understand the thinking of those who oppose the values of the West I hold so dear.  As they say, information is power.

So, when you fact checked the PC Guide to Islam, was it correct?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Threads like this are not safe around here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top