Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2008 4:32:10 PM EDT

Second Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda (born March 19, 1922), Japanese army intelligence officer who fought in World War II, and did not surrender until 1974.

The Japanese were scumbags in WWII IMO, but holy shit.  

Onoda was trained as an intelligence officer by the Nakano School, and on 26 December 1944 was sent to Lubang Island in the Philippines. He was ordered to do all that he could to hamper enemy attacks on the island, including destroying the airstrip and the pier at the harbor, his orders also stating that under no circumstances was he to surrender or take his own life.

Towards the end of 1945 leaflets were dropped by air with a surrender order printed on them from General Tomoyuki Yamashita of the Fourteenth Area Army. Having already been in hiding for a year, and the only proof of the end of the war being this leaflet, Onoda and the others scrutinized every letter and every word on this piece of paper. One sentence in particular seemed suspicious; it said that those who surrendered would receive "hygienic succor" and be "hauled" to Japan. Again, they concluded it was an Allied hoax.

Suzuki returned to Japan with photographs of himself and Onoda as proof of their encounter, and in 1974 the Japanese government located Onoda's commanding officer, Major Taniguchi, who had since become a bookseller. He flew to Lubang and on 9 March 1974 informed Onoda of the defeat of Japan in WWII and ordered him to lay down his arms.

Lieutenant Onoda emerged from the jungle 29 years after the end of World War II, and accepted the commanding officer's order of surrender in his uniform and sword, with his Arisaka Type 99 rifle still in operating condition, 500 rounds of ammunition and several hand grenades. This makes him the second-to-last fighting Japanese soldier of World War II, before Teruo Nakamura. Although many sources in modern culture poke fun at Onoda for "not believing the war was over," the primary motivation related to his devout belief in military discipline and honor: he had been ordered to never leave his post until he received a specific order enabling him to do so. Those orders did not arrive until 1974.

Though he had killed some thirty Philippine inhabitants of the island and engaged in several shootouts with the police, the circumstances of these events were taken into consideration, and Onoda received a pardon from President Ferdinand Marcos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

Do you guys know anything about this
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
um yeah... where you been in the Phillipine jungles??

mind blowing case of military discipline and honor. Sadly, as the article states, they became a bit of a punchline for being uninformed...
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
um yeah... where you been in the Phillipine jungles??

mind blowing case of military discipline and honor. Sadly, as the article states, they became a bit of a punchline for being uninformed...

Which is complete bullshit.  Even if their leaders surrendered, whose to say they have to?

Only in a species of complete puss-bag followers with no fucking principals or concept of sacrifice would people think it funny that a person might actually go against the grain.

i.e.  Haha, look at that crazy nutjob!  He is holed up in the woods making a stand over the Constitution!  Who the hell cares about that retarded shit!  Hasn't anybody told him that we don't care about that shit anymore?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The dude was on Gilligan's Island when I was 10.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't get me wrong, the japanese were douche-bags and the enemy.

But holy shit.  I'd sooner shake hands with and share my dinner table with this man (in fact i'd be honored to), than 53%+ of the retarded worthless faggots who call themselves my countrymen.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Most honorable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Only in a species of complete puss-bag followers with no fucking principals or concept of sacrifice would people think it funny that a person might actually go against the grain.

They weren't holding out as a sign of defiance.  They were holding out as a result of ignorance.  When they understood the war was over, they relented.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The guy might have been retarded and unable to think rationally.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably had a battle axe of a wife. . . living in the jungle was preferable. . .
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't Onada return to Japan, and was unable to accept the cultural changes and emigrated to South America?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Proof that there once was something in this world called honor. Too bad there are few people left with honor of this caliber.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The dude was on Gilligan's Island when I was 10.....

+1  Good episode!

Also, I just spent 30 minutes reading about this stuff, very interesting.  Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought the last one to surrender was the one who visited Giligans Island.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I just read of this the other day in a book called Into The Rising Sun (2002) by Patrick K. O'Donnell.  Also learned more about our alliances with the Chinese in securing the Burma road and several of the islands in the South Pacific TOE.  Today at work had an interesting conversation with a visiting Chinese student about all this.  He knew about the *late* Japanese holdouts from the war.  Interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Didn't Onada return to Japan, and was unable to accept the cultural changes and emigrated to South America?

He was elected president of Peru, as I recall....
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Proof that there once was something in this world called honor. Too bad there are few people left with honor of this caliber.

amen
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember that.......
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been to this man's hideout: Shoichi Yokoi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top