Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2008 4:31:14 PM EDT
I'm going to buy the wife a new mid-size auto as a work vehicle. She drives 35 miles (RT) every day to her business.

$15,000-17,000 range. Decent gas mileage and an excellent history of dependability are most important. Good safety ratings too!

So far I've looked at Nissan Altimas and Ford Fusions.

Any advice and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: 100,000 mile warraty would be a plus, but I don't think I will look at Hyundas (sp?)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
first time here?  

all the replies you will get will be either honda/toyota, then someone will chime in with a domestic, from there it will turn into an argument.......
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
first time here?  

all the replies you will get will be either honda/toyota, then someone will chime in with a domestic, from there it will turn into an argument.......

This man is correct!
In fact "I" will never own a foreign badged automobile.

However, that won't stop me from telling you that your wife needs a Honda Civic!  
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Toyota.  Case closed.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Only 35 miles RT?
ANYTHING!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
just buy the first 1000 dollar beater with a good heater and windshield, put some fresh rubber, set of belts and hoses  on it, stuff  a riot gun under the seat, and tell her to enjoy the ride.
THEN start building up a nice  tight 60's  , Nova, Dart,  Falcon, or whatever REAL detroit iron catches your fancy. With   manual trans and base model 6 cyl any of those older compacts are capable of 26 miles per gallon.   small v8  and rock crusher still give 22 mpg.
    Give the lady a class ride,  build it up  out of pocket.   I wouldnt pay  NEW money for anything built in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a 2001 or so Buick Regal with the 3.8 engine. Seriously, it'll last as long as any foreign badged car and get 25-30 MPG.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy foreign. Screw the UAW.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd say Mazda 3 or 6.  The 3 is sporty little car.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at 2-3yr old Camrys...
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I just recently got 2 Haundai vehicles.  one a Sante Fe SE and a Accent SE.  Both are good cars and have excelent consumer report ratings,  and the great part that they are pretty cheap for what you get.  the Accent i drive for work (from Austin to San Antonio) i get like 35 mpg on the high way and right now only costs me about 30 bucks a week in gas.  it is smaller but if it is just you and another person in the fron it is awsome.  As far as the Sante Fe, the thing is a rocket for its size and weight.  200 hp v6 room for 5 full size adukts and still has plent of cargo room, and right now there is 2500 instant rebates on the sante fe sea and 3500 on the limited.  this is a great time to get a car cause you can get the dealer to almost give you the car at invoice prces since they want to get the 08s of the lot since it is the end of the year.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Toyota.  Case closed.

CJ

Yeah.

ETA: Maybe a Nissan or a Honda if you score a deal on a Maxima or an Accord or something.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Accord.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
bitch can't walk?

no, my wife didn't see that either, maybe same reason she drives the '08 and I drive the '04

I'm gonna hold my opinion on car selection, the first reply you got summed it up
 good luck

by the way-Pontiac Vibe-not sure of the price but it is a joint venture between GM and Toyota, you could have an american import
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
another thing to think about,I don't know how big of a city you live in, but make sure there is a dealer in your hometown and probably where she works just in case you have any problems
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
by the way-Pontiac Vibe-not sure of the price but it is a joint venture between GM and Toyota, you could have an american import

It's in his price range, and I like mine.

Plus it's one of the few cars that should make everybody on the board happy, it's a Toyota, it's a GM, and it's built in the US.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus it's one of the few cars that should make everybody on the board happy, it's a Toyota, it's a GM, and it's built in the US.

Vibe == Matrix?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vibe == Matrix?

more or less.
Deep Drive: 2009 Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
The smaller fords have always been pretty decent cars IMO

but really you can't go wrong with any of the jap stuff or a ford

GM small cars are shit IMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top