Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2001 12:30:35 PM EDT
Hi, I recently fell into some money and can't decide if my next gun should be a Pre-Ban Calico 9mm or a Pre-Ban Bushmaster Bullpup ( I found realy good deals on both recently) So I thoght I'd ask witch one you guys would go with, I'd also love to hear from any Calico or Bullpup owners out there,

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have either.

IMO either would be fun to shoot but I would go for the one that shoots a rifle round in a rifle over the one that shoots a pistol round in a rifle.

You might not be able to afford another magazine for the Calico.  Magazines for the Bullpup are everywhere.  And if you already have or will get an AR-15 then you can have the same ammo and mags for both guns.

I doubt that it is very easy to change a mag on the Calico even if you could afford a spare.  It should be a snap with the Bullpup (relatively).

Parts and service availability should also be a concern.  They don't make the Calico anymore and I bet that parts are hard to come by.  For the Bullpup all you would have to do is call Bushmaster.

The Calico was supposed to be a cheap gun that held a lot of rounds.  Now because of the "the ban" it is an expensive cheap gun that holds a lot of rounds.  Many prebans like this are good for their cool factor but their price has no relation to their utility as a rifle. - Just fact and MO.

It really depends what you are looking for.  If they are really good deals then why not get both?
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The bull pup shoots readily available ammo, with readily avialable hi-caps, and it isa rifle round, in a rifle. It is not, in my estimation the best of combat weapons.

The Calico shoots pistil ammo, in a carbine sized package, and the mags are unbeliveably expensive. $150-250 range for 9mm mags. Also, it is not a serious weapon. It is, on the other hand, according to my dad and uncle-a "blast to shoot". Just know going into the purchase these are both "Fun guns"(apologies to Bushmaster bullpup and Calico would take theirs into combat, I envy and pity you for your courage). The bullpup makes more sense, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
KISS, get the bushy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The pre94 Calico I used to have had a short trigger.

Depressing the trigger 100X would have been very hard on your trigger finger.

Dry fire the Calico and you will see.

LawnDart is right.
The Calico was supposed to be a cheap gun that held a lot of rounds.
View Quote

The price was good back then if all you wanted was a good high cap blaster.

Now they try to justify charging almost as much as a pre94 AR?

Sure I made a little when I sold mine, but that's what the market dictated.  Who was I to take less than market value?

Between the two, I'd get the M17 for the AR mag capability.

Calico 100rd mags are over $150.00.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got 3 BM bullpups... a really early preban (damn near prototype) and 2 postbans... all function great.  I also have a Calico 22 carbine, 22 pistol, and 9mm carbine.  These are damn fun to shoot.  No problems ever with parts breakage, misfeeds, anything.  If you're a lefthanded shooter the 9mm bottom ejection on the Calico is for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bullpup and a buddy of mine had a couple Calicos.  He eventually owrn out two of the zillion round mags.  The "follower" which is a plastic drum that the rounds ride on as it spirals around busted off in a couple places.  I think he got the parts from Calico, or they were able to fix the mags.  It was definately a fun gun, but alot of plastic parts that I could see breaking.  

The only evil feature on a pre-ban bullpup is the flash suppressor.  The post-ban models are also updated with improvements for reliability.  The one you're looking at may or may not be.  It seems like alot to pay for just a flash suppressor.  

Either way, it's a personal choice.  I'd take the bullpup over the Calico if you're going to shoot it.  If you're just investing, then the Calico might be worth more.  I think both have pretty much flattened out in terms of price and I wouldn't expect a giant jump in price anytime soon.  

Personnally, since the only evil feature is the flash suppressor, I'd get something that has more evil to it.  Like an AR-180 or something.  If you're thinking about the bullpup, consider getting a post-ban and using the left over money for optics.  You'll need them anyway.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top