Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2001 8:39:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, NG unit got called to go to Germany for a period of 240 days.  Got mixed feelings and can't start college, but what the hell, if you gotta go you gotta go.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got four years of station time in Germany.  Good spots, too.  Two years in Hanau (east of Frankfurt) and two years in downtown Frankfurt at V Corps headquarters.  Have fun.  I went back for two weeks in 1994, and I DRANK MY ASS OFF!!! Curiously enough, I drank about nine of the big beers for about 5 nights in a row, and NEVER had a hangover.  Great stuff.

PS.  Don't make the mistake of renting a car and getting killed on the Autobahn.  That place is not for amateurs [;)]
SJSAMPLE
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the first of the nine monthers under clinton.
We were split up all over Germany. My platoons area went from a few miles outside Nuremburg to about 20 klicks outside wurzburg. Most of the 'action' was centered around a cluster just easy of Ansbach.
We were MPs, so we had weird shifts. Either way, pool money and get a car.
The only excuse for getting drunk in the barracks is because you all just got off a midnight shift and nothing is open.
It's a nice country and very few things are more than three hours away.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
JoshD,

Where abouts in Germany are you going? I'm stationed in Friedberg near Geissen ( not far from Frankfurt)...I have a few German shooting buddies as well so I get to actually shoot over there. I used to be Army Guard, went active Army, and am now considering the Air Guard..............
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I got called up for a year. Am assigned to the Engineer Staff section at ARCENT HQ (3rd Army, Patton's command in WWII) and sent to Kuwait.  It is rewarding to be playing even a small part in the HQ that is controling the ground forces in the fight against Bin Laden's bunch.  But it is tough to be away from the family.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly, I have no idea!  We really don't know the place or the mission.  We've been training for patrols and security (checking cars, etc.) but that really doesn't mean anything since we do that all the time anyway, especially patrols, as Infantry.

It is 2/130th Inf., insignia looks very much like a crosshair, and we will probably be wearing our newer LBV's with the slanted mag pockets.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I am still in training, but my Reserve unit of B-52's had been deployed. I wish I coult have gone . [:(]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I got activated. I do SP stuff at the airforce base nearby.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes,I was called up for a year Sept. 30. We are doing rotations. My turn is comming up next. Buy the way I work on MC-130P Combat Shadow aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
JoshD,

I'm pretty positive I know which unit you are from. A bunch of Army Guard guys were doing OPFOR work in Hornsfeld, Germany last time we went to the "field". They usually have infantry do OPFOR and I have seen your unit patch out there. Hornsfeld is in Bavaria near Amberg and Grafenwohr. Also saw some of them in Kosovo running a radar station or something to that effect. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where your are going but I can't guarantee it of course. Email me if you have any questions about Germany - I live there 24/7 except while I'm on leave (now)......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top