Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2001 8:15:06 PM EDT
Can someone tell me what are the requirements (age/license, etc) for getting a rimfire or centerfire rifle (preferably .22 cal)?

Also, please feel free to recommend .22 cal rimfire/center fire rifles. I would like to get as much information as possible.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
what would be the difference between a semi-auto and a bolt action (besides the obvious)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
what would be the difference between a semi-auto and a bolt action (besides the obvious)
View Quote

By law there is none.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
10/22 is nice, but you will want to change stuff on it.  Trigger, and stock, if you are tall.  

Those romainian trainers are sweet! Tight groups. Not much to do, except get some rings and a scope.  quarter size holes at 50 yrds and a cheap tasco scope.  My prob was the cheapo rings.
c-rock
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
what do you mean by law there is no difference?

BTW, are there any real advantages to center fire over rimfire?

I saw an ad for a Kimber .22, I would like some opinions or comments. http://www.kimberamerica.com/kimber_22_01.htm
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#6]
None, really. As long as your 18 or older and never been convicted of a felony.

As far as rimfire goes, I've had a Ruger 77/22(laminated stock and heavy barrel) since October. it has a bushnell scope, and groups under 1/2 inch at 50 yards (after I add a trigger upgrade and test with some more ammo, it should shoot even better.)

I noticed you live in NY. Do you live in NYC? If you do, there is a whole other set of rules, and licenses to buy-I don't know much about the rules in NYC, so I won't elaborate on them. Just read and go online as much as you can, don't be afraid to ask a questions, and you'll learn a lot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I live in NYC, but I'll be going away to college next year so that's why I'm asking. I wouldn't try to get a gun in this city, it's not worth the trouble. I've been playing paintball for a few years and I really enjoyed shooting on the paintball range (as well as the games) so i thought I might want to give rimfire a try. I just want to start researching now so I'll have a good idea by this time next year.

Also, by bolt action vs semi auto, I don't mean legal status. I mean technical differences. Are there any technical performance/aesthetic differences I should be aware of. I'm a bit partial to bolt action because the mechanism is simpler and it gives you time between shots. The best part of the shooting is the aim and focus, I feel like semi-autos shoot too fast and don't quite give you the time in between to savor the experience. (yeah, who needs automatic weapons, all guns should be muzzle or breach loaded with rounds going in one by one, j/k) I once tried removing the hopper from my paintball gun and loading the balls one by one by hand into the gun during a game. People thought I was crazy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Not that this surprise me or anything, but I went to the NRA website you linked to and searched up NRA gun courses in New York State. There is only 1 location in New York City, they offer three security pistol courses, no rifle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not that this surprise me or anything, but I went to the NRA website you linked to and searched up NRA gun courses in New York State. There is only 1 location in New York City, they offer three security pistol courses, no rifle.
View Quote

I shoot at Calverton shooting range on Eastern LI. they have a pistol and shotgun range, plus 50, 100, and 200 yard rifle ranges. It's probably about 1.5-2 hours from manhattan, and about 30-40 mins. from where I live. Calverton is definitly the best range on LI, but there is also a range in Huntington and Brookhaven (Ridge).
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I without reservation reccomend that you purchase a Romanian M-69 training rifle.  They are rediculously accurate for a $59 rifle and are quite well made.
View Quote

$59?!?!?  One of the local gun shops has one in its rack for $250.

The owner was bitching the other night about nobody wanting to buy them.  Now I know why.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
is 1.5-2 hours round trip or one way?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top