Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2001 10:05:08 AM EDT
Damnit, one of my co-workers thinks Jackie Chan is the best fighter but I keep insisting Bruce Lee would kill Jackie Chan 10 times over before he hit the ground.

Plus, Jackie doesn't make all the cool noises like Bruce does.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely Van Damme, definitely...
HAHAHAHAHA.... just couldn't post it with a straight face.  I'm gonna say Jackie Chan. [devil]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree with you on Bruce Lee vs. Jackie Chan. Bruce Lee had a lot more skills.

Now, what about Bruce Lee vs. Jet Li? Not only is Li very proficent in martial arts, he also gets to shoot cool guns like the HK G36.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither!

The best movie fighter of all time was David Chiang.  Even Sheung Koon Lun is better than Jackie Chan.

I'll admit that in real fighting Bruce would kill Jackie, but movie fighting is a different story.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know who's better, and probably nobody ever will.  However, just look at the outtake footage (during the credits) of a Jackie Chan movie and you'll see who's tougher.  Every movie has footage of him breaking a leg, getting hit by a truck or a helicopter, or getting kicked (really kicked, Hong Kong style) in the face or nuts.  Jackie is the REAL DEAL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Hong Kong Fooey would kick all their asses.  Discussion is over, might as well close the thread.

edited to add: Let's not get too emotionally involved in a discussion over whether a guy who sees himself as primarily a comedian or a guy who died from marijuana-induced anaphylaxis is tougher.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know who's better, and probably nobody ever will.  However, just look at the outtake footage (during the credits) of a Jackie Chan movie and you'll see who's tougher.  Every movie has footage of him breaking a leg, getting hit by a truck or a helicopter, or getting kicked (really kicked, Hong Kong style) in the face or nuts.  Jackie is the REAL DEAL.
View Quote

Yeah, it's because Chan used the footage to promote himself. Lee didn't need anything to promote himself because he was the real deal.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Bruce Lee....He has proven himself during his time. He has that cocky attitude like Mohammed Ali and accepted many real life challenges to prove himself.  

Jackie Chan is a good Hollywood Kung Fu artist.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Bruce Lee.
period. end of story. i can't believe that anybody even doubts this.

has anyone seen his non-movie martial arts? his one-finger push-up, the 1 inch punch that sent that guy flying back 17 feet into a chair, hell, even Chuck Norris admitted that Bruce was the master, so far ahead of anything ever seen before, that he doubted anyone would EVER supercede him! Bruce, without question, except for maybe Hong Kong Phooey! [:)]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Better check that title again folks...  Marital arts?  Hmmmmmm....  [:)]

/rl
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Boy, has this been done to death....

I am, however, interested in the statement that Lee "Proved" himself.  Can anyone name one time he stepped into a real ring with a real pro?  (And please don't drag all the Hollywood BS stories about the "bad guys who challenged him on movie sets out" of your ass....)

He was a great athlete, no question.  But I spend 20 years in the arts, and I sure would have liked to see Lee in the ring with someone like Benny the Jet.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
One vote for Sonny Chiba, please.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Better check that title again folks... Marital arts? Hmmmmmm.... [:)]
View Quote

You are absolutely correct!....In this case, it's John Holmes!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
lol, who cares about my atrocious spelling?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Better check that title again folks... Marital arts? Hmmmmmm.... [:)]
View Quote

You are absolutely correct!....In this case, it's John Holmes!  [:D]
View Quote

But golly gee, I thought "John Holmes" was a swordsman ????
[:D]  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Ooohhh.  Marital Arts.  Well, then, that would have to be me.  My Crane Style is beyond compare.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Jackie Chan was a extra on at least one of Bruce Lee's movies filmed in Hong Kong. Even our own Chuck Norris worked on a Lee film. Bruce Lee was the original "karate guy" to most folks and Chan was simply a follow on. As far as who can kick whose behind....well who cares...these guy's are just fun to watch.

footnote: I'll bet when you get to these guys level of skill you worry less about whose butt you can kick and focus more on promoting the "Art".
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Your right pcgod that is about where I am at now.  Its just about promoting the 'art' baby.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahhh [b]Marital[/b] arts....  I'll have to check with Bruce's wife, but my swirly tongue technique really pleases the ladies.  I don't know if Jackie is married, but I could try it on his wife too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Hatsumi Sensei (Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Where's NSF?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey this guy is pretty good [:D]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/5L/dk/hW/Xu35801.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

shameless plug eeh lordtrader
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Jackie Chan isn't a martial artist, he's a stuntman who know a few moves, he's said as much himself in interviews. Bruce Lee was a streetfighter first who went to the extreme to become the ultimate fighting machine. The answer to the question is obvious.

As far as that article- fairly accurate I think, but Tank Abbot has said the same thing about every fighter he has faced, ad he's lost his fights plenty of times. He's a prick who thinks he can fight better than he actually does. In a ring where he could possibly corner Lee, he might have a chance. If it was on the street, with more space, he would never even touch Lee and would get worn out because he's an out of condition slob.

His size count against him in a lot of ways, but Bruce Lee may be the most practically skilled martial artist ever. He trained for real fights, not for dojo combat.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]
You schumcks are missing the picture, BIG TIME !!!
The all-time champ and HMFIC - RALPH MACCHIO !
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!!!!

I challenge ANYONE to top this answer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#28]
wax on
wax off...
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Your kung fu very good but mine is bettah.

You kill my mastah, now I kill yoo!

(you have to visualize my mouth moving with no sound coming out)
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
[img]http://www.firstuniversal.clara.net/shootfighter2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/5L/dk/hW/Xu3580.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hey lordtrader... you need to flip the pic around.  The words are backwards!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Mr. Furley is the master.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#33]
three words JEET KUNE DO.
not only was Lee a master in Gung Fu, but devised a system of martial arts incorporating many different styles of fighting. OK now allot of you will say if Jeet Kune Do is so good why aren't any of the UFC guys JKD fighters. Well allot of them have trained in JKD, and many of JKD's techniques are used to kill/maim and permanently disable an individual. When Chan can add anything even comparable to his resume ill be impressed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#34]
EX11B, will you name some of the UFC competitors that say they are trained in JKD ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Kwai Chang Caine is the master.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Bruce Lee...things change, times change...and during his "time". Noone could touch Lee. And no..it's not bs, the stories of a local chinese martial arts master challenging him. Lee kicked his ass....No cameras...no friends. But,yes he had witnesses. There was great documentary on him. He was a phoenom, way ahead his time. Old arguement, new people analyzing. Compare Michael Jordan against Bob Cousy...no comparison, different times for different men.

WOuld you fight Bruce Lee? Hell no...[BD]
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue[/b]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
When it comes to serious professionals, the easy way to determine who will win is usually reduced to one question -
 "Who got the first serious shot in?"

I can't claim to be a master, but I have been thru Aikido and Combative Skills training, and that has usually been the determining factor.  "do it, do it first, and do it hardest..."

A note on Jeet Kune Do ("Way of the Fist") - it was never "completed" in the traditional sense.  Current Masters of Jeet Kune Do were not actually brought to "Master" level by Lee himself, but were forced to redevelop most of the art after his death.
True "Finishing" of any martial art requires actually bringing AT LEAST ONE other individual from a true neophyte to a full master.  After all, the only true way to master a skill is to teach it to another...

FFZ
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
EX11B, will you name some of the UFC competitors that say they are trained in JKD ?
View Quote
 off the top of my head, Randy Couture, and understand that most top level fighter haved trained in many many different styles and forms. and im not saying there are UFC champs that train exclusively in JKD
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Forget about that mar[b]ti[/b]al arts bull shit. I bet Hoyce Gracie could break each of their legs with his damn toes. Gracie is a bad-ass mofo. His fights are boring as hell, but in the streets, he'll not only kick your ass, he'll break your ass. Let's see 100lb, 5'1" Bruce Lee do that!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!!!!

View Quote

Hillary Swank, Johnny Lawrence, Michael Dudikoff aka American Ninja, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Don "The Dragon" Wilson etc...
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!!!!

View Quote

Hillary Swank, Johnny Lawrence, Michael Dudikoff aka American Ninja, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Don "The Dragon" Wilson etc...
View Quote

Ryu, Ken and Sheng Long.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

WOuld you fight Bruce Lee? Hell no...[BD]
View Quote

Sheesh...I would rip his ears off and stick them in his back pocket so he could hear me kick his ass!  [:D]  
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I would say by far Bruce Lee is bette the Chan any day. One thing I dont like about all these new martial arts movies these days is all this unrealistic fake high wire stuff that they have all of these people doing. It makes the films boring to me. Bruce Lee had real good fight seens in his films, and he seemed like the real deal. I would say some of the next best would be Chuck Norriss,Jet Li,Chow yung fat,Van Dame,Jackie Chan. But Bruce lee is the Master.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/5L/dk/hW/Xu35801.jpg[/img]
View Quote

"Saplings and shrubs wilt in fear!! when they see my Ginsue Machete Banzai Style!!"

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
edited to add: a guy who died from marijuana-induced anaphylaxis .
View Quote

Is that what it was?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#46]
"Bruce" Leroy Green's got the glow.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Forget about that mar[b]ti[/b]al arts bull shit. I bet Hoyce Gracie could break each of their legs with his damn toes. Gracie is a bad-ass mofo. His fights are boring as hell, but in the streets, he'll not only kick your ass, he'll break your ass. Let's see 100lb, 5'1" Bruce Lee do that!!!
View Quote

[b]R[/b]oyce Gracie (Brazilians pronounce the r's as h) is not even the best of his brothers/cousins.  

Dan Inosanto (recognized by some as being Lee's top guy) is now a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and many of the "Concept JKD" schools use Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to round out there grappling curriculum.  Going by how he acted when he was alive, Burce would have probably gone to the top, and be taught by Helio Gracie, or at least roll with Rickson, who in my opinion is top dog of the Gracie brother/cousins.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#48]
The following are who I would consider MASTERS.

Lyang Ke-Quan
Doc Fai Wong
Brendan Lai
Kwai Sun Chow
Adriano Emperado

Lets not forget the man that started it all, a lil Indian Monk called Boddidharma.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Watch UFC and Pride FC, those are the best of the best.

There is no "Master" anymore..  the level of competition in Mixed Martial Arts is very high and anyone can lose at any given event and not many people are undefeated.

Even the old arguments about, "My discipline is better than yours... " or JKD vs TKD vs Jiu-Jitsu are ridiculous.

These days you have to be well versed in the stand-up as well as the ground-game. The top fighers are good at striking and grappling.

There is no magic death-touch, that myth has went south along with the old "masters".  Just another mystique created by a "master" to draw people and their money into his dojo...
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#50]
[url]http://www.bujinkan.com/[/url]

[img]http://www.bujinkan.com/images/Hatsumi_Masaaki_Soke.gif[/img]

The original 'mall ninja'.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top