Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 6:26:48 PM EDT
We have always helped each out here. Now I am asking for your help

Tomarrow is my wifes family Christams dinner and get together. Everybody was told what to bring. My wife has to make a ham. Her mom told me to make Sweet Potatos. The only problem is I dont know how to make them. Well I dont want look like an Idiot and ask how to make them. So thats why I am turning to you guys. I know I have to do something with brown sugar. (becuase my wife came home from the ggrocery store and said here are the sweet potatos and here is the brown sugar) Please help me out here guys.

Thanks
Six
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the sweet potatoes canned?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/de/gov/degov70.htm

This should help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres another one
[url]http://www.hugs.org/swtatersdex.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Heres another one
[url]http://www.hugs.org/swtatersdex.shtml[/url]
View Quote

DAMN!  beat me to it. I was gonna tell him that one.

Don't you love google searches?

No_Expert
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Place boiled & peeled potatoes(if not canned) in oven proof Pxrex dish, add brown sugar and regular sugar, cinnamin, PECANS(the key ingrediant) bake at 350 till smells good, take out of oven add marshmallows for topping, bake till golden brown, DONE. Dont know exact measurements, just have to eyeball it, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit, that is a great site, guys................pisses on mine from a great height!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys I knew you could me out.

Six
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no magic formula for sweet potatos. Cut them into 1/3" thich slices about the size of a half-dollar. Boil them up. Drain.

From there you can just butter them (yum) and serve.

For the works, transfer them into a oven safe dish or cake pan. Mix up with small marshmallows, butter, brown sugar, some cinnamon. Crust the top with pecans and brown sugar like the top of a pecan pie.

Bake for a while at 350-400.

No real measurements... just go by taste and sight.

EDITED TO ADD: DON'T FORGET A SPLASH OF SPICED RUM!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Email if desperate, and I'll scan something from the late, great Justin Wilson's cookbook.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I boil the sweet potatoes whole until soft. Then let them cool. Remove the skin and cut potatoes into slices about 1" thick. In an electric frying pan, mix butter and brown sugar at about 350 degrees to from a carmel and then cook sliced potatoes in carmel, turning occassionally.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
i'll start w/ ingrediants: sweet potatos; brown sugar;some pvc pipe; some type of igniter (electric or friction); a can of WD40.........use the brwon sugar in you'r oat meal. shoot the potatos.tell the women not to ask you to cook ever again! [;D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The secret to making really good sweet potatoes is to add some ORANGE JUICE to the brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, etc. before baking. My mom started doing this a couple years ago and everyone likes it alot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
When I lived in Florida, my room mate was from Alabama and she taught me how to make some killer sweet potatoes. I had never had them up North but they are now a family favorite. After you peel and boil them, drain them and put them back on the heat. Add some heavy whipping cream and butter, like you are making regular mashed potatoes. Add some maple syrup, pure maple syrup, and brown sugar and whip that in. Top with pecans and bake @ 350*. They are freaking awesome!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top