Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 5:18:08 PM EDT
 I have a chance to trade for an LE Colt AR 15. I told him I didn't really want it because it would be hard to sell. This individual says once a gun has been originally purchased by an LE or agency, after a period of one year, it can be sold to anyone. Another person who is a dealer and no bullshitter said the same thing. It just not widely known. Is this right? If you're not an LEO and had this gun what's the deal? I haven't heard anything like that about LE only mags, etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I'm wrong but sounds like BS to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that too. Must be a TN thing or something. Who knows if it's BS or not?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]

What about the cop 870's?

I know its legal to own the "law enforcement only" folding stock.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 I have a chance to trade for an LE Colt AR 15. I told him I didn't really want it because it would be hard to sell. This individual says once a gun has been originally purchased by an LE or agency, after a period of one year, it can be sold to anyone. Another person who is a dealer and no bullshitter said the same thing. It just not widely known. Is this right? If you're not an LEO and had this gun what's the deal? I haven't heard anything like that about LE only mags, etc.
View Quote

NOT TRUE, LE ARs must be purchased by agencies or indiviadual officerson letterhead only.

There is no 1 year rule with a restricted post ban rifle.

What would be the big deal you ask? Well let the feds catch you with it and you'll find pretty quick that you cannot believe everything you hear.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Not after July 2004, unless it is a NFA item.

But right now, if it has any of the nasty "pre-ban" features it is illegal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Makes no sense that it's status somehow dissolves over time- the receiver will always be LE only, though the parts can be sold off to non-LE I assume.  Kinda like the pre-ban vs. post-ban distinction- once a post-ban always a post-ban.

I'm not a lawyer, YMMV, yada yada, yada...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If the firearm is an 'assault rifle' produced after 09/94 and marked as an LEO weapon, then no, what this guy told you is most definitely NOT true.  Its status does not change merely by the passage of a year, and if you're not an LEO with authorization from your agency to possess that weapon for official duty use, you'd be committing a felony.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I think everyone is right that it will always be restricted.  We had a chance to by the old Dept. handguns (S&W Sigmas) when we switched to Glock.  We were told that we could not sell it for a year, but after a year it could be sold without the LEO mags.  Maybe they are thinking of something like that, where the handgun is not an LEO gun like the AR-15 is?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What about the cop 870's?

I know its legal to own the "law enforcement only" folding stock.

View Quote

yeah BUT a 870 is excempt from the 94 crimebill being a pump shotgun only reason it says LEO on the stock was remington was being PC
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
i had someone (a dealer) try to sell me a colt 9mm with the auto sear holes that used to belong to a police dept...i think he lowered the price by more than $100 while i was looking at it...uh..avoid like the plague.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have purchased duty firearms directly from manufacturers on letterhead before and I believe what the person is referring to is language required by most gun makers stating that you agree not to sell the firearm for a period of one year.

This is to prevent LEOs from making money by buying firearms at wholesale prices from the manufacturer on letterhead, then turning around and selling them at a profit.  It has nothing to do with an weapons status as "LE/GOVT ONLY".
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I have purchased duty firearms directly from manufacturers on letterhead before and I believe what the person is referring to is language required by most gun makers stating that you agree not to sell the firearm for a period of one year.

This is to prevent LEOs from making money by buying firearms at wholesale prices from the manufacturer on letterhead, then turning around and selling them at a profit.  It has nothing to do with an weapons status as "LE/GOVT ONLY".
View Quote

Right, but he is asking about a POSTBan LEO AR15 rifle.

You may be able to resell the pistol, but you can't resell the LEO mags, even after a year, to a non LEO/FFL.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
This issue has been discussed many times.  A SAW is defined by the assembled configuration of the rifle. If you remove the features that define it as a SAW it is no longer a SAW.

The ATF has a rule that prohibits dealers from purchasing SAW's and disassembling them to sell as individual components.

The bottom line is why would anyone want to have a lower marked "LE/Export Only".  It would be very difficult to sell and would only raise questions from uninformed LEO's. YMMV.

DISCLAIMER: The ATF frequently changes the rules so who knows what the current ATF opinion is with respect to this issue.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Many manufacturers have a one-year stipulation prohibiting resale when they sell at a discounted price to governmental agencies or employees. There may also be a regulation as it pertains to the excise tax exemption.  In any case it has no application to a LEO marked SAW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top