Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2001 10:19:51 AM EDT
We are going from NT to 2000 server, everything is going alright except for that fact that when I try to access a asp or htm page on the new 2000 server it asks for a username and password.  I seem to have all the settings right, anonymous users use the machine name, I am out of ideas.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I need a little more information.  You are using IIS?  The Everyone group needs to have READ permissions for the file(s) at the very least.

This may help if you do not wish to give more info.  

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/en/professional/iis/htm/core/iiabasc.htm[/url]

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
yea I am using IIS, When I try to go to a page I get a password screen.  And if I put anything into the domain box it will let me get through.  I am checking out your link. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that you should find all that you need on that page under the "Anonymous Authentication" section.  If it doesn't work let me know and I will check this board out tonight when I get home.  (Actually I leave work at 1530 so I may be home before you leave)

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
False alarm, I didn't have the everyone group at all on my default.asp page I stuck in there. I added them and everything is a go.  Sorry for being stupid.  Thanks for helping. Flapjack
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
"Ya ain't stupid if ya' fixed the problem"

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Take off the "everyone" for security reasons.

I would recommend creating a local group called "General Web Access" then put the IUSR_[i]computername[/i] accounts in that local group. Then assign the "General Web Access":R to your \inetpub\www directory. (This is only a suggestion, there are other ways of securing things)

Everyone is a very dangerous group to use. It opens things up to EVERYONE, use it sparingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top