Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 7:45:38 AM EDT
Just found out that this is where my nephew is going to be stationed, he is going into security, any comments, WTF do you do in North Dakota besides try to stay warm!!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just found out that this is where my nephew is going to be stationed, he is going into security, any comments, WTF do you do in North Dakota besides try to stay warm!!!  [:D]
View Quote

Probably nothing.  That was one of those "please not" assignments (along with Thule, Greenland) when I was in the AF.  We used to joke "Why not, Minot."  At least Danang was warm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.minot.af.mil/base/newcomer/default.htm[/url]

As we speak the temp is 17.1F
Windchill is 5F
If he is a SP he will be "guarding" B52's and ICBM's...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Dude, I'm going to school in Grand Forks, ND. Tell him to bring a sh*tload of warm clothes and a book, cuz it's boring as hell up here. Minot is a small city in the middle of no mans land. I flew there once when I was working on my instrument pilot rating.

Let's just say it's damn near the equivalent of getting sent to Antactica.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
"Why not Minot?"

"Freezins' the reason."

Seriously, I've lived in North Dakota for nearly seven years now (I'm originally from Georgia) and I think it's a great place to live and raise a family.  When I was living in Maryland, I was paying $750/month for a hole in the wall apartment where I couldn't let my kids out of my sight for a second.  Now I have a 2000 sq. ft. home that I paid under $100,000 for, my kids can play outside and ride their bikes to the library, and the school system isn't trying to fill their heads with politically correct bullsh#@ every time I turn around.

As an added bonus, the weather keeps the Kalifornians out! [:D] (we had our first blizzard of the season in mid-October)
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and he's REALLY gonna be hating life if he's not 21.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
If your nephew likes to hunt, fish, snowmobile, and drink, then North Dakota is the place to be.
Unfortuntily Minot is a shit-hole of a town as far as North Dakota goes. It seems that towns near military bases are that way, no matter where they are.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The Ducks & geese are so dumb up there all he will need to fill his limit is a single shot .410. Good grouse & pheasant opportunities too. The deer are plentiful & tame.

I haven't tried the fishing yet, but I imagine that is pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude, I'm going to school in Grand Forks, ND. Tell him to bring a sh*tload of warm clothes and a book, cuz it's boring as hell up here. Minot is a small city in the middle of no mans land. I flew there once when I was working on my instrument pilot rating.

View Quote

UND alum here! Graduated Dec. '99 BSME

I had to dig my car out of the snow once, decided that bringing my old lifted '85 Chev 4x4 out there was a good idea. Never had to dig again. [:)]

Yeah, if he isn't 21, its gonna suck.

Hey Death_By_AR15, what is your favorite bar in GF?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

UND alum here! Graduated Dec. '99 BSME

I had to dig my car out of the snow once, decided that bringing my old lifted '85 Chev 4x4 out there was a good idea. Never had to dig again. [:)]

Yeah, if he isn't 21, its gonna suck.

Hey Death_By_AR15, what is your favorite bar in GF?
View Quote

I usually go to the Parrot's Cay for hot wing on Monday nights for football. Have those 15s and yer crappin fire the whole next day.

Jonesies (Below the Edge) is the best for hot chicks.

Used to go to the Down Under every friday night for $1.50 pitchers, but I have to work every friday now.

The Back Door (not anal sex jokes please) use to be the best before they got shut down.

I should have graduated in May 01, but you know how that goes...

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
My dad was stationed there in the late 60's and that is where he met my mother.

Since I still have family there and am trying to get a reasonable flight there for the holidays, let me tell you...There is nothing, I repeat nothing to do there except freeze.

My mother grew-up in Minot and she has memories of the tips of cows ears falling off from being frozen if left out in the elements...
Her brother was hauled "downtown" as a teen-ager for sitting with his buddies in the laundromat after 10:00 eating candy out of the vending machines. Fun life... eh?

The town is as dull as it gets and very small. One shopping mall that has a Walmart attached.

Lots of places to go shooting though. Drive out of town about 20 miles into the plains and blast away.
[;)]
My condolences
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I usually go to the Parrot's Cay for hot wing on Monday nights for football. Have those 15s and yer crappin fire the whole next day.

Jonesies (Below the Edge) is the best for hot chicks.

Used to go to the Down Under every friday night for $1.50 pitchers, but I have to work every friday now.

The Back Door (not anal sex jokes please) use to be the best before they got shut down.

I should have graduated in May 01, but you know how that goes...

[beer]
View Quote

Yes sir. Drank a few 1.50 pitchers at the Down Under before hockey games. Also refilled a pitcher, but thats another story [:O]

Spent many nights at the Back Door and the Rio Bravo when they were open.

A roomie of mine tended bar at the El Roco and probably still is, so we drank lots o free beer there. Not much of a college crowd bar tho!

Was only to the Cay a couple times and don't remember them too well [;)]

Also had a lazy nights at the 42nd Street for Primo night. Still have the glasses.

Those were the days. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I lived in ND for the first 20 years of my life.  It does have a quiet beauty to it.

And as someone else already stated, it is an inexpensive and safe place to live, with lots of shooting/hunting/fishing opportunites.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I heard it's so flat, they don't build fences around the jails.  An escapee can run for three days and still be in sight!

The state tree is a fencepost!

The state bird is a mosquito.

Snow doesn't accumulate it just blows sideways, constantly.

Or so the locals told me when I was on alert for a couple years one week at Minot.  Or was that two?  '77  [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top