Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2001 9:42:20 PM EDT
Went to LOTR with another person from this board tonight.  I was robbed of 3 hours of my life. Thank god I got in free, becuase I would want my money back.

Anyone else see it tonight? Did you hate it as much as I did?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Why did you hate it?  Details please.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy Sh!t, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen.  The plot wasn't as messed up as I was assuming, the acting was great, and the special effects were awesome.  WTF more do you want?  The only crappy thing is having to wait two years to see the end.  Even the wife who I had to drag to the movie loved it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you have preferred to be kicked in the nuts?

(hehehe)
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

How hard and by who? Yes, the movie was that bad.

Why? Well amoung other things, hobbitts are supposed to be short. Since the actors natural size differences were not great enough for this effect, they had to resort to camera angles to create the appearance of a greater size difference. Anytime it was necessary to show all the priciple actors in the same scene and on the same plain, they resorted to child stand-ins. unfortunately it was all very obvious.

The worst was the 2 hours and 45 minutes of travel/journey/voyage scenes. I got the point that it was a long journey without having to watch in in real time!

You can sum up the whole movie as a really long walk, lot's of men hugging eachother and a couple short battles.

I think fans of the book are letting that cloud theiur judgement, this movie will not have staying power. The gross this weekend will be huge, but word of mouth will kill it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Holy Sh!t, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen.  
View Quote

I recommend you stay home and rent Braveheart or Rob Roy instead. Even Kevin Costner's version of Robin Hood was better!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How hard and by who? Yes, the movie was that bad.
View Quote

LOL!

You can sum up the whole movie as a really long walk, lot's of men hugging eachother and a couple short battles.
View Quote

LMAO!

My intitial response was really about a thread that was posted this afternoon by a newbie who basicly registered to slam the movie.
MOD's shitcanned the thread & newbie as a troll.

Anyway, I will go see it because I grew up reading the books & I'm sure that's where the market is BUT I hope it is good on it's own merits.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I suspected that might be the case.  Earlier today, over at Hard Core Talk, I said that "The Fellowship of the Ring" was mainly a lot of walking and talking with one battle (Moria) and a little running from Black Riders.  Most of the action (battles and such) is in "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King."  Possibly, therefore, the other two movies might be more to your liking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the things I didn't like about the books was the detailed, step by step descriptions of the journey.  Like, enough already, skip a day and get them there!
On the other hand, the Mines of Moria was my favorite part.
I am really looking forward to the movie.  I'll probably see it tomorrow.
Liv Tyler?  Well, alrighty then... but I don't remember any Tolkein nude scenes...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Even Kevin Costner's version of Robin Hood was better!
View Quote

LOL.

I think this movie was better than either of those two.  At least a lot more entertaining.  But hey, if it didn't make you happy, there is always Blackhawk Down coming to disappoint you as well. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of the things I didn't like about the books was the detailed, step by step descriptions of the journey.
View Quote

Well that is pretty much the whole movie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO it was one of the best movies (fantasy) that I ever have, or ever will see. I cought a 3:00 showing with another member of AR15.com, and we [b]loved[/b] the film.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a reveiw I just received via Email:

"It was one of the weirder movie experiences I've had...one moment you feel like sipping tea and talking poetry with fairies and the next you're in hell.  Glowing chicks from Berkeley, Vulcans living by a river, Mr. Smith
from the Matrix using that same voice (that was strange!), that elf that poked the super-berserker in the eye with the arrow (died of course) then fires it at another berserker, the king berserker firing pointed logs, and
one of my favorite scenes...the moth asking the fucking huge eagle to rescue the wizard!"

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from the show.  I loved it!

There were some cool points in the book that were missed, but I don't remember any parts of the movie that weren't in the book.  Face it, the fellowship is a classic, but a slow read by todays standards.  

I grew up with the books, and I really enjoyed the movie.  I can see where the movie was made for those who did read the books.

I've never seen a fantasy/adventure flick done as well as this one!  Can't wait for the rest!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is a reveiw I just received via Email:

"Mr. Smith from the Matrix using that same voice (that was strange)"

View Quote

It was sooooo strange when I finally figured out where I saw that guy from!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've never seen a fantasy/adventure flick done as well as this one!
View Quote

Conan the Barbarian, Robin Hood, Gladiator....
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never seen a fantasy/adventure flick done as well as this one!
View Quote

Conan the Barbarian, Robin Hood, Gladiator....
View Quote

I liked all three of those!  But I'd only put Conan in the fantasy/adventure catagory.  As far as special effects, this one blows all three away.

You go and try to forget your bad experience.  I'll go buy the DVD.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone who din't like that movie is a soulless cretin; anyone who says they din't like it is just trying to troll.

Don't believe me? Go here:

[url]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1108476/[/url]

Note: eighty-seven reviews. only three of them negative. overall 97% positive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Sheesh... I thought the movie was pretty interesting... It was long but I liked it. Hell I paid $8 and stood in line for two hours... It would of suxd if it wouldn't of been cool.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think fans of the book are letting that cloud theiur judgement, this movie will not have staying power. The gross this weekend will be huge, but word of mouth will kill it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, to be honest, that was pretty much the plot of the book.  I'll reserve judgement until Saturday nite.  I think there's a strong possiblility you're trolling to keep rear ends in seats at [i]Harry Potter[/i]. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I liked the movie, what I hated was the mouth breathing, coughing, hacking, numb nuts that bring their 3 month old baby's that have to sit right behind me!!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#22]
i guess its like a Japanese gravel garden: you get out of it what you bring to it.

that e-mail-review that AR15fan got, along with some of his comments led me to believe that some folks just can't wait to be critical of everything. they type-cast the actors, pick apart every possible subtle inconsistency. they should just relax, leave expectations behind, and enjoy the show! i mean, it seems like until there is virtual-reality movies, where the viewer is actually shot at, that some will just never be happy.

sorry for the flame-like tone, but its just an observation! [:)] i loved the movie, and can't wait for the other 2...and the trailer for Star Wars episode 2 was cool too...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry AR15fan, but I couldn't agree less.
I have seen most of the fantasy and science fiction major-release movies made in the last twenty years, and nothing even comes close to this one.  The special effects were incredible, the pace was just right, the story of course is a magnificent epic, and the acting was very good.
Some of the dialogue may have been too self-consciously "epic" but that is how Tolkien wrote it.
There's no accounting for tastes, but I doubt your view is going to be the majority one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

VERY unlikely. Word of mouth will make it incredibly successful, as the vast majority of people that saw it absolutely loved it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I havent seen the movie yet but how much did it divert from the book....

in the book legolas puts frodo on the horse and tells him to fly to rivendell

in the trailer its the half-elf chick....

what else was screwed around to give women a BIGGER part????

lately in holliwood you see a bunch of superwomen and wimpy nerd guys.....

Tolkien wrote this book before it was poppular to give women big parts in entertainment of this sort.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I liked the movie, what I hated was the mouth breathing, coughing, hacking, numb nuts that bring their 3 month old baby's that have to sit right behind me!!

idaho-ar15
View Quote

No shit!  My wife & I are magnets for arseholes who always sit behind us...it never fails, no matter where we sit.  We have gotten to the point that if we even get a hint that they are going to be a pain in the arse...we just move.  

They should have places that are child free: movies, restaurants, etc.  The last thing I want when I go out to wind down is to hear some crying child or brat kid being a dik.

I love children...not.

Don't have any, don't want any & I'm in my mid-30s.  Neither does my wife....maybe we'll change our minds someday, but it looks doubtful.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing really...they just wanted to introduce Arwen's character early to establish Liv Tyler in the role in the first movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#29]
They only took a few liberties with the book, but nothing much to take away from the book. Most of the dialogue pretty much came from the book. If you ever read The fellowship, it was a long read as all of Tolkiens books. They cut out a lot those parts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

idaho-ar15
View Quote

No shit!  My wife & I are magnets for arseholes who always sit behind us...it never fails, no matter where we sit.  We have gotten to the point that if we even get a hint that they are going to be a pain in the arse...we just move.  

They should have places that are child free: movies, restaurants, etc.  The last thing I want when I go out to wind down is to hear some crying child or brat kid being a dik.

I love children...not.

Don't have any, don't want any & I'm in my mid-30s.  Neither does my wife....maybe we'll change our minds someday, but it looks doubtful.

View Quote

Now that sounds like a GREAT idea!! I'd frequent a place that promised no rug rats or vomit launchers. I'm 27 no kids and the wife HATES kids.

If your kids are well behaved then fine, I do't have a problem with them. I'm a firm believer that kids should be seen not heard. If your kid is screaming his guts out in a public place like in a theater then get your ass outside. Don't make EVERYONE live through that.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I could give a rat's ass about cookie making elves that live in trees and movies made about them.  I just wanted to say how much I love cnatra's avatar!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#33]
The movie was rated PG-13, but the DVD release will have an "R" rating because it includes more graphic battle scenes, according to [i]Entertainment Weekly[/i] magazine. [}:D][}:D][}:D]

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

idaho-ar15
View Quote

I love children...not.

View Quote

Now that sounds like a GREAT idea!! I'd frequent a place that promised no rug rats or vomit launchers. I'm 27 no kids and the wife HATES kids.

If your kids are well behaved then fine, I do't have a problem with them. I'm a firm believer that kids should be seen not heard. If your kid is screaming his guts out in a public place like in a theater then get your ass outside. Don't make EVERYONE live through that.

idaho-ar15
View Quote

I have an even better idea.  Why don't you DINKs just start frequenting places aimed at your demographic?  Don't go to family-oriented places and then bitch because there are kids.  Go to classier eateries, go to later movies, etc.  None of the parents will miss you or your "even though I don't have or like kids I know how they should be handled" attitude.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Glorfindel puts Frodo on his horse in the book.

Arwen doesn't show at the river in the book...and no one rides on the horse but Frodo.

None of this is particularly (middle)earth-shattering though.

I bet some of the complainers here would REALLY be steamed had they included a certain Mr. Bombadil...talk about digression!

About the only change I didn't understand was that they cut Legolas' line introducing the Balrog.  I really can't see why this was done...I'd always wanted to see that look of dawning realization on his face.  Oh well.

Certainly Moria and the Balrog were impressive...right along the lines of my imagination.

The actors are all excellent choices.

Go see it...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

idaho-ar15
View Quote

I love children...not.

View Quote

idaho-ar15
View Quote

I have an even better idea.  Why don't you DINKs just start frequenting places aimed at your demographic?  Don't go to family-oriented places and then bitch because there are kids.  Go to classier eateries, go to later movies, etc.  None of the parents will miss you or your "even though I don't have or like kids I know how they should be handled" attitude.
View Quote

WOW!! touchy touchy,  [rolleyes]
This WAS the late showing of the movie, it happens in all movies I go to. Would you honestly take a kid under 1 year old to a movie??

I'm hoping blackhawk down is so freaking loud through the whole movie that I can't hear little kids crying or inconsiderate adults who can't seem to turn off their cell-phone in a theatre.

I don't bring my 100 pound sled dogs in to the theatre and let them howl, crap and run around, children shouldn't be allowed to either. I can see letting kids have their freedom in a park, playground or Mcdonalds but not when I pay good money to LISTEN and watch a movie, not watch a movie and listen to everyone ELSE!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#37]

No Barrow Downs! I can't believe that they cut out a foggy haunted cemetary.
They should have included it to show that the Nazgul were not the only things that made travel hazardous.

Sauron on the battlefield was my favorite part.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
idaho-ar15
View Quote

idaho-ar15
View Quote

s.  Go to classier eateries, go to later movies, etc.  None of the parents will miss you or your "even though I don't have or like kids I know how they should be handled" attitude.
View Quote

WOW!! touchy touchy,  [rolleyes]
This WAS the late showing of the movie, it happens in all movies I go to. Would you honestly take a kid under 1 year old to a movie??
idaho-ar15
View Quote

Dude, I hear you. I don't hate kids but there have been many occasions
when my wife & I are out to an [b]R[/b]  rated movie After 9pm
& people have their 1-3yr olds in the theatre.

#1  What is a kid that age doing at an [b]R[/b]
    rated movie??

#2  Why isn't that kid at home in bed?

#3   Get a dang babysitter so the other 50-300
     hundred people don't have to hear your
     kid cry & scream
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I could give a rat's ass about cookie making elves that live in trees and movies made about them.
View Quote

I don't remember the part where they made cookies [;)]

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't bring my 100 pound sled dogs in to the theatre and let them howl, crap and run around, children shouldn't be allowed to either. I can see letting kids have their freedom in a park, playground or Mcdonalds but not when I pay good money to LISTEN and watch a movie, not watch a movie and listen to everyone ELSE!

idaho-ar15
View Quote

The fact that you liken children to animals invalidates any claim you have to courtesy from others.  My children are well behaved when I take them out to age and family appropriate places.  They are NOT animals and if you care to make insinuations like your last, I suggest you continue doing it from the safety of your keyboard. Take your "good money" and buy yourself a home theater system and order takeout.  Your enjoyment of movies will be greater and so will everybody else's.

Edited to add that no part of this should be construed as a threat.  I am simply saying that likening people's children to animals to their real, live faces would be a major faux pas, and since you are obviously a maven of courtesy you wouldn't want to damage your reputation of arbiter of how people should behave.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh, man, an R version would be heaven. Even with only more graphic battle scenes but lacking nekkid elf chicks.

This thing is going to make New Line billions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

idaho-ar15
View Quote

The fact that you liken children to animals invalidates any claim you have to courtesy from others.  My children are well behaved when I take them out to age and family appropriate places.  They are NOT animals and if you care to make insinuations like your last, I suggest you continue doing it from the safety of your keyboard. Take your "good money" and buy yourself a home theater system and order takeout.  Your enjoyment of movies will be greater and so will everybody else's.

Edited to add that no part of this should be construed as a threat.  I am simply saying that likening people's children to animals to their real, live faces would be a major faux pas, and since you are obviously a maven of courtesy you wouldn't want to damage your reputation of arbiter of how people should behave.
View Quote

golgo-13, actually my dogs are my kids, my wife and I can't have kids so we make do with out pets. As for it being "bad" to liken kids to animals, my dogs are much more behaved than most children. I can take my dogs to whatever public place I want if I place one of their orange "rescue dog" vests on them but I choose not to because there are times and places for everything.

I do have a state of the art home theater system but I like to see some movies when they come out instead of waiting a year to see it on dvd with hdtv.

I'm sorry I have struck a raw nerve with you so this is my last post on the matter, We can just agree to disagree.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Ruuuudy!  Ruuuuudy!   Ruuuuudy!

Anybody ever read Bored of the Rings?  "Toes!  I love hairy toes!"
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lately in holliwood you see a bunch of superwomen and wimpy nerd guys.....

Tolkien wrote this book before it was poppular to give women big parts in entertainment of this sort.....
View Quote

Actually it was Glorfindel, one of Elronds retainers. He isnt seen again untill book 3 and has a half dozen lines in the whole book. Since Arwen has all of TWO lines in the book they combined the two in order to get a big name actress to play the part.

I am far more interested in finding out who plays Eowen:) but she doesnt show up untill the end of book II.  She has the biggest womens part in the whole book- and she and Pippen are the ones who kill the King of the Ringwraths before Gondor.  If you read the book you should be able to remember that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ruuuudy!  Ruuuuudy!   Ruuuuudy!

Anybody ever read Bored of the Rings?  "Toes!  I love hairy toes!"
View Quote

Look at my sig line in honor of the release of the movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw it at the 3 o'clock matinee with my whole group from work today. I really liked it.

Just a guess, but I don't think Ar15fan ever read the books. The whole story is about the journey to destroy the ring. So, they'll be jorneying for 2 more movies.

The weekday matinee is just the ticket - there were only 6 other people in the theater besides us. Plus, it shore beats workin! [BD]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No Barrow Downs! I can't believe that they cut out a foggy haunted cemetary.
They should have included it to show that the Nazgul were not the only things that made travel hazardous.

Sauron on the battlefield was my favorite part.
View Quote

All hope is not lost my friend.  I have three letters and a word for you:

[size=6][b]DVD Edition![/b][/size=6]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. Great action and fighting scenes, super CGI work, interesting characters/actors. I have never read The Lord of the Rings, so I had no major pre-conceptions about the plot or story. Probably the only thing that surprised me was the amount of combat shown. If the next two movies are even more fighting intensive, then I cannot wait for them to be released.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#49]
All in all, I think it was good.  I don't think they could have taken much more out and still had it resemble the book so much.  All storylines that were kind of offshoots were gone, I think  it made it run much smoother than the book.  Of course, I'm not a big Tolkien fan.  I had to force myself to finish the trilogy.  Them there's some DRY reading.  BUT, since it's the basis for pretty much all modern fantasy, I figured I should choke my way through it.  I haven't gotten up the nerve to try The Hobbit yet.

As far as the kids go...it amazes me how people get upset when I mention that I dislike children, or they get this weird look like I have some sort of disease - after all, who ever heard of a woman who didn't like kids?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I finally saw LOTR after it started playing in the local $1.50 theater.  

Overall, I thought it was very good.  It seemed to be very faithful to the book and even though the film lasted almost three hours, it didn't "drag".  I thought that the themes of evil, power and corruption were handled particularly well.

The only disappointment, IMHO, was the buffoonish portrayal of the dwarves.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top