Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 7:45:26 PM EDT
I was thinking some states require that you have a weapon in a trunk or somthing like that, I just bought a crotch rocket and am trying to figure out how to transport my m4orgery to the range. I was wondering if It would be legal to just sling it over your back and put the mags in a carry case or somthing. might be kinda cool to ride through town with an ar on your back but might be more trouble than its worth.

any suggestions

no flames please
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple.
Just separate the lower receiver from the upper and protect the two components with slip-on gun sacks and put them in a backpack.

Put the ammo and mags in another bag that zips up and run a small padlock through the zipper pull and a D-ring.

No one will know what you've got. A policeman would have to get permission to conduct a search of your bag, don't give it to him, and you've done all you could to show reasonable care to prevent the assembly of the rifle and the loading of ammunition into it while operating a motor vehicle on the highway.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Split it in half and carry it wrapped up in a backpack.. thats how I transport dead bodies with my rice rocket... Just kidding! Seriously break it down should be pretty easy to carry that way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to flame you, actually simpathize with you. I to have a motorcycle (but I am lucky I also have a little pickup truck).

I have seen guys put their ammo/mags in their tank bag (with pad locks on zippers), and keep their rifle in soft cases across their back. I can't remember the term for the soft cases, but they don't look like rifle cases.

I did ask Alan Korwin at a gun show for sugestions. He just shook his head and said "buy a car". When I pressed him further, he suggested that I get a conceal & carry permit, and make sure I carry the rifle in something that doesn't look like a rifle case. Maybe a soft guitar case.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]ah1z[/b]: I ride a Scoot everyday, and yes all of the above I have done, BlackHawk AW bag over the shoulder, spilt into stuffed in OD bag on seat behind, but for long trips I use a Pelican 17 case which allows me to carry 1 lower and 2 uppers (24" & 20" DCM) and 10 - 20 rounders. Its exactly the same width as my saddle bags (so it doesn't hang out too much),  is waterproof and provide good protection for my AR.

I have never had a problem here or in OK & LA, so far, although as my Uncle said the other day given our present WTC situation if they ever do stop and check the Pelican (they [b]will[/b] have a warrant) they will probably have a SH&% fit.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto, break it down in a back pack, The guys at work think I am crazy, I mix motorcycles aND guns. I take mine to the pit to shoot  on a nice day. The badge does help though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the virtues of the AR in my opinion is the easy breakdown. I almost always transport mine in a standard overnite bag. The 24" one may be more of a problem, but my 16" fits everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top