Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2001 4:53:14 PM EDT
[b]Do not go see it you will be dissapointed.
Do not go see it you will be sad.[/b]

Yes, dissapointed that you will have to wait a year for the next installment
Yes, sad that it ended so soon.

I gotta tell ya. This movie is awesome. The scenery is almost as I imagined it in my head as I read the books. from the picturesque rolling hill of the Shire to the Elvens land of majestic trees, and the dank dungeon that was once the Dwarvens Kingdom of Moreaia(sp?), it is breath taking to watch in the big screen. They took some liberties with certain parts of the book, but overall stuck to it to the letter. The special effects used were not too much, but rather enhanced the movie watching experience. It is life experience to see. Much like the book there is a suspense in every turn. If you have read the book and think that you will not be grabbing on to the arm rest and waiting with clenched teeth, you are wrong. Much like the books this movie is difficult to leave behind and makes you want more. 3hrs is not enough.

Yes the ending was the worst.....it meant there is a years wait for the next installment. All I can say is; I CAN'T WAIT. This is a good adaptation of the book itself. BRAVO!!!

A word of caution to those planning to see it. Do not drink anything to excess. This is a 3hr movie, that you do not want to miss even a second.

I might see it again in few weeks when the hype dies down.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How bad were the lines around here, LT?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That movie was better than anything -- except the books.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I wounder if they will have a midnight showing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How bad were the lines around here, LT?
View Quote

Saw it at Tinsel Town at the 3:30 showing. There was maybe 40 people in the theater. However, I heard one of the guy that worked there say the every showing after 6:00PM have been nearly sold out for the weekend. They are showing it in 4 theater that can hold 200 people each.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey LT, did you pick up on the "NO ONE tosses a dwarf!" line?  I about busted a gut laughing...didn't see that one coming at all...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the whole theater was laughing at that one. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
LT, you shoulda sent me an email, I woulda busted out at 3 for that!  I work just down the street too.  [>Q]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't know what time I was gonna get back from Atlanta. I was actually planning to to see it tomorrow, but I could not wait.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, you should have emailed me too. I've been sitting on my arse all day doing absolutely nothing. Nobody emails me though[:(]

I did get an instant message yesterday though[:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't seen it yet. (but will for sure)

But I understand that they financed all three movies they are making at the same time. (this is a first in movie history)  So it may mean that they are, or did make all three movies now.  Or already have them in the can. Which could mean that the next one will come out very soon after the first one is done in theaters.  

I hope so.  

Zen

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But I understand that they financed all three movies they are making at the same time. (this is a first in movie history)  So it may mean that they are, or did make all three movies now.  Or already have them in the can. Which could mean that the next one will come out very soon after the first one is done in theaters.  

I hope so.  

Zen

View Quote

I can't remember where, but I read that the first one has to gross $300M+ to get the funding for the others.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
All three movies have already been completed. They will be released a year apart, and if the first one is unsuccessful, the studio will crash and burn.  But I doubt that will happen...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so.  

Zen

View Quote

I can't remember where, but I read that the first one has to gross $300M+ to get the funding for the others.
View Quote

All three movies were made in the span of 2 years. According to the director this was the only way to insure the cast do not change and give the movies continuity. Yes all three are done and arein a safe somewhere. They will only show it 1 a year during the X-Mas holiday. No ifs, and, or buts. The source of this info is the SciFi Channel behind the scenes special 2 wks ago.
Also this movie was funded by few banks and limited partnerships sold to select accredited investors, much like the way ET was funded.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't remember the article and you all are probably much better read on the production than myself. It sticks in my mind though that there was a $300M benchmark for something though... I wish I could remember it... so many URLs... so little time....
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#15]
The movies cost about $300 Million to make, didn't they?  Maybe they are counting on the first movie to pay off the entire production costs.  Could happen too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
the movies cost 90m $ US to make each, so 270 million total, plus 180 million in marketing costs. all principal filming is done for all 3, but they're still working on CGI work and editing for the second and third ones, which will come out 1 & 2 years from now respectively.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for covering this, LT. I went to see the movie at the first airing locally, 12:00, and despite my predetermination to try to ignore any flaws and just enjoy it, it wasn't neccesary. I was blown away, clenching my fists, and sitting on the edge of my seat.

The Shire was so beautiful, and so right, and the reunion between Frodo and Gandalf had me tearing up just a little-because I had read the books, over and over in my life, and these were them, more "them" than any Bakshi cartoon could ever hope to be. It wasn't a matter of saying the lines, but that every detail, every nuance, was, if not strictly to the letter, than wholly to the spirit of the books.

I cried perhaps 3 more times through the movie-in Rivendell, at Bilbo's last time with Frodo, at The Bridge, and after the last battle at the lake.

The battles are amazing. I can't even find words for Moria, and all the new meaning that word takes on in my mind. Saruman, btw, comes off spot on, just as I imagined him, as Does Gandalf. Their cloaked power, their weakness, their reality- it's all there. Even Elrond made me forget that he had been an Agent in The Matrix.

Oh, and for the people worrying about the "increased role" of Arwen-get over it. They did it right, didn't mess with the story, and sure as heck didn't make it the focus of the movie.

This is as good as I could have hoped for, and better. My early cynicism ("They're gonna ruin it") has no hold on this magical, immersing experience.

Whether you have read the books or, not, you will do yourself a huge disservice if you miss this marvel of storytelling.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Ditched work and saw it twice.

It was wonderful. There are some things trimmed from the story (Tom Bombadil, the Barrow-wights) but it makes the pacing of the film much better. It's epic without being ponderous, big but still with intimate character work. It works both in the grand story sweep and at the individual character level.

Quite possibly the best "big" movie ever made. You'd have to go back to the 50's and 60's cast-of-thousands movies like Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, or Dr. Zhivago to have anything remotely close to the same scale or ambition, and the advent of CGI and other technical innovations make it look far better.

Believe the hype. This is not one of those movies that relies on a marketing campaign to fool you into parting with your money in the first week before everyone realizes what a turkey it is.

Even the elf chicks were good. Arwen was damn convincing in the horse chase and the river ford. Cate Blanchet was great as the more than a bit otherworldly Galadriel, though the bit of CGI there was one place where it went a bit overboard. Gandalf was dead-on.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, we need to storm the vaults where they've got the next two installments locked up.

I've heard the original plan was to release them six months apart--winter, summer, winter. Now we've got to wait TWO FREAKING YEARS to see the rest.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I am so jealous!!!! (happy for you, but jealous all the same).  I have to wait 'til Saturday or Sunday to see it.  I'm dying with anticipation.

loonybin
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes Gandalf is dead on. From the hat to his garb. They got the right actor for it. Ian Mckellan even gave the aire of a wizard. Christopher Lee as Saruman is also perfect. Sinister yet elegant. He give a perfect arogant aire to his character. Galadreil was kinda cool with that glow she had about her.

Man talking about it just make me want to go see the movie again.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
in the trailer they show the half-elf girl letting frodo use
the horse..in the book it is legolas.... how did this affect the story....
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Jonah Goldberg of NationalReviewOnline thought the movie was 'cool' and that he would defintely recommend it - [url]http://www.nationalreview.com/nr_comment/nr_comment121901.shtml[/url]

As did the reviewer from the Washington Post -
[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62431-2001Dec18.html[/url]

Eric The(SoundsLikeFansWillNotBeDisappointed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
 FINALLY.................

I first read the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings when I was 10 years old, I am now 35 years old.

I felt young when I watched the movie, I felt the same awe and wonder as i felt when i first read the books so long ago.
 The orcs were even more dreadful, Moria was even more of a wonder, and the Balrog was more terrible than I ever visualized him to be.
 I had a moist eye when Arwen pledged herself to Aragorn, and the contrived exchange between Aragorn and Boromir at the foot of Amon Hen added to the story I thought.
 The scene where Galadriel demonstrates what she would become if she took the ring far surpassed what my immagination pictured that scene to be all those years ago. "All shall love me, AND DESPAIR"

Anyways....

yeah, I thought that it was OK!!

Chuck
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#25]
i cant wait to tell all my harry potter loving friends HAH i told u LOTR would smash your puny sales record!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I went to it tonight with another person from this board. I hated it. I feel I was robbed of three hours of my life I can never get back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to hear about your loss...

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, took off work to see the 10:55 showing this morning with the wife and several friends.  There was a small line but the theater was only about 80% full, but again it was a morning movie and it was playing on three screens.  One of the best three hours of filmaking I have seen.  Only other three hour movies I have sat through so easily were the Godfather and Last Temptation of Christ.

My wife is now bugging me on how it ends.  I may have her watch that horrible animated Return of the King just to shut her up. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I went to it tonight with another person from this board. I hated it. I feel I was robbed of three hours of my life I can never get back.
View Quote

Yeah, well...I think we already established on the other thread you started that you have no taste... [;)]
{j/k}
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I feel like I was robbed of six seconds of my life reading your post.

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[devil]

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm just curious where you're coming from.  Have you read the books before or not?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Moments I have waited my entire life for....
1.To see the Shire and a raggedy assed Gandalf in his creaky little wagon  
2. To see Arwen Undomiel....I was very afraid of Liv Tyler in this role--empty headed daughter of a drug using pos----and she did it.....
3. to see Galadriel---kate blanchett..washed out blonde----excellent---All will love me, and despair!----scared the hell out of me and I knew it was coming and waited for it....
4. BALROG----------------BALROG

And the most disturbing things is that the man who wrote this, shall never see it.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Loved it!  Who'd of thought that "Mr Smith" of the Matrix would make a good elf king. [:D]

It's definitely going to be disappointed having to wait a year for the next one.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm just curious where you're coming from.  Have you read the books before or not?
View Quote

No, I never read the books. I did enjoy the animated version though. Must have seen it a dozen times.

Can anyone that saw the movie really say the dark and violent trailer was anything like the film? Seemed like a bait and switch to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can anyone that saw the movie really say the dark and violent trailer was anything like the film?
View Quote

Well, yes it was.  There was plenty of violence and action in this film. Plus, I read the books and knew the story, so I knew what was going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#36]
AR15fan,

Let me get this strait...

You liked the animated version.

You hated the film.

You never have read the trilogy.

Is this correct? Just checking.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Plus, I read the books and knew the story, so I knew what was going to happen.
View Quote

I think that is the key to enjoying this movie. It appears that those who grew up reading the books are more forgiving of this long boring movie.

I saw it in a full theature that holds about 500. at the end about 50 people clapped, mostly people dressed in LOTR related costumes. These were the same people that laughed at silly stuff like the wizard bumping his head in the hobbitts house, or the hobbitts hairy feet (which were showed over and over again).

When the credits rolled I overhead lots of complaints about the pace and length of the movie. A kind editor could turn it into a good 90 minute action adventure film instead of a 3 hour rambling epic journey film.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AR15fan,
Let me get this strait...
You liked the animated version.
You hated the film.
You never have read the trilogy.
Is this correct? Just checking.
Tyler
View Quote

Tyler,
Correct.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Okay - Thanks.

Now I understand why you didn't like the movie.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Wow, LT, had me worried there for a minute[shock]until I opened up the thread. Shame on you. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#41]

This movie was undoubtedly the most awesome movie I ever seen. Some of the scenes in it were so good that I got Goosebumps and felt my heart racing. I thought my GF was gonna hate it because it scared the piss out of her but she said she loved it and is going to read the books now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This movie was undoubtedly the most awesome movie I ever seen.
View Quote

Better than Platoon, FMJ, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Gladiator, Heat, Tombstone, LA Confidential, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Seven, T2, Forrest Gump???
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Better than Platoon, FMJ, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, Gladiator, Heat, Tombstone, LA Confidential, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Seven, T2, Forrest Gump???
View Quote

Yes I liked it better than all of those movies. Braveheart was my favorite of all time. This one just replaced it.

If it had not of been 1:30 am when I got out of the movie I would of watched it again that same night.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I plan on going to see it again this weekend! IMO this is one of the best movies ever made. Childhood dreams, the many times I have read the books, all the things I imagined...

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#45]
It was OK...guess I should go read the book now huh?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I think ar15fan is a Sackville-Baggins ;P

Put that in your trailer and smoke it >:)

Fly,you fools!  to the theater!

never read the books?  BLASPHEMY!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#47]
LOL!

Please read the books, bro. It would be like going to see Black Hawk Down without reading the book. [:)]

If you read the first book, and then see the movie, I bet you will like the movie [b]MUCH[/b] better - unless you are not into that stuff to begin with.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Childhood dreams, the many times I have read the books, all the things I imagined...

Tyler
View Quote

That is probably one of the biggest reasons I enjoyed the movie so much.  I'll see it again on the big screen after the crowds die back a bit.

I can see where someone who never got into Tolkien wouldn't like it nearly as much as those who did.  There's soooo many details that made it to the movie but were only explained in the books... Boromirs horn, the broken sword, "speak friend and enter" etc.   For me, when I saw one of these details I flashed back to the books and remembered why they were important.  

People who got into Tolkien generally not only got into the plot itself, but the histories and stories of Middle Earth.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think that is the key to enjoying this movie. It appears that those who grew up reading the books are more forgiving of this long boring movie.
View Quote

No, it's more like, people who read the books tend to be actually INTERESTED in fantasy and don't find the movie long or boring.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Another viewpoint....peeps like ar15fan find computer games like doom or quake to be exciting. They bore me to living tears....I like city-builders and strategy....everybody is different---otherwise everybody would want to be on the Joint chiefs and nobody would actually want to shoot people.....

viva la diference
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top