Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 3:00:43 PM EDT
So the Feds are not going to charge John Walker with treason!!
Instead they are going to charge him with aiding and abeting terrorism..

Bad mistake.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Just when I was starting to think the USA was straightening it's ass out.

They pull this shit.

Shoot that little prick.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Maggie Gallagher hit the nail on the head...

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ucmg/20011218/cm/two_traitors_1.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The bastard joined a foreign army and fought AGAINST United States forces. If that doesn't constitute treason, then what the hell does? The son of a bitch should have just been shot "trying to escape". Personally I would have just handed him over to the Afghans. Their brand of justice would have been much more fitting in this case.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
trea·son (trzn)
n.
Violation of allegiance toward one's country or sovereign, especially the betrayal of one's country by waging war against it or by consciously and purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Unless he denounced his American citizenship beforehand.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Some things I've heard from the talking heads (may or may not be true):

Treason requires a declared state of war

Treason requires two eye-witnesses

Related to this is an article I found.

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011217/us/afghan_calling_it_treason_5.html[/url]

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That's totally BS! Not trying him for treason? Idiots! Total idiots! This guy should hang!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Constitution is very specific about how to prove treason (confession in open court, or testimony of 2 witnesses that saw him do something).

Since they know they cannot prove treason, they're not even going to bother to try.

Makes sense to me, even though it is frustrating to see someone like that avoid a firing squad.
View Quote

I would think if he did take the Al-Queda terrorist 101 course and they can prove it then it is treason. I have heard media reports he did(for what they are worth).

I think his fellow detainees would testify against him (An offer they can't refuse) with the right pressure.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
So, convict him of aiding and abeting and consider him a low escape risk and throw him in a medium security prison. That would pretty much be a death penalty, but in a less "humane" way than the needle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some things I've heard from the talking heads (may or may not be true):

Treason requires a declared state of war

Treason requires two eye-witnesses
View Quote

The relevant section from the Constitution(Art III-the Judiciary)

Section. 3. Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying
War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and
Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of
two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no
Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except
during the Life of the Person attainted.
View Quote

A person can levy war against a country without that country declaring war(for example a surprise attack). Also, it must have two eye witnesses, or open confession in court. I think the two eyewitnesses are easy to find.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.sunspot.net/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.walker14dec14.story?coll=bal%2Doped%2Dheadlines[/url]

Personally, I think he should swing, but I also think treason is tough to prove and probably not the most applicable offense.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If they let him go, well accidents can happen.

[grenade]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
All Taliban are martyrs?  Me thinks he's gonna try and escape the naval vessel he currently resides on.  The only way off is to JUMP.

Do it Johnny Walker Boy!

Jump!

Jump!

Jump!

Jump!

Body never recovered.  Do I have to figure everything out?

BTW- I heard news reports yesterday that he was found with an AK strapped on his back.  Student huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top