Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 2:30:58 PM EDT
[url]http://www.channel2000.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-113236920011219-071220.html[/url]

Fires Out At World Trade Center Site
Tally Of Dead And Missing Falls
Posted: 8:35 a.m. EST December 19, 2001

NEW YORK -- After three months, the underground fires that have been burning at the World Trade Center site may finally be out.

Terrorist Attack Timeline

Governor George Pataki told a group of officials visiting the site today that the fires were put out within the last week. The New York Fire Department confirmed the report.
Fuel has been provided by nearly everything that was inside the twin towers, such as office furniture and documents. As crews cleared away debris, fresh oxygen caused flareups.

Meanwhile, New York City's tally of people killed or missing in the attacks on the World Trade Center has fallen to 3,000.

City officials said there are a number of reasons why the numbers steadily declined from a high of 6,700 in September. They said names were listed more than once on missing-person reports. And some families who filed early missing reports neglected to notify police when loved ones turned up safe.

They also said some foreign consulates overestimated numbers.

The city medical examiner's office has issued 529 death certificates. Almost 2,000 death certificates have been issued at the request of victims' families. The rest are still considered missing.

An Associated Press tally of people confirmed dead, and those reported dead or missing in the trade center attack, stood at 2,789 on Tuesday.

That number does not include those killed at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania.

Copyright 2001 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The new numbers of estimated killed are really a blessing. I know it sound morbid, but by just the sheer numbers of people that worked in and around those two buildings, it's amazing that more people weren't killed in the collapse. On the 11th as I watched the buildings fall live on the news I was guessing that the death toll would easily rise about 10,000.

I feel for all those killed and their families, but at the same time I'm thankful because the toll could have been much greater.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top