Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 2:15:38 PM EDT
They're b...a...c...k!  I was wondering how long it would take the low-life anti's to capitalize on the WTC/Pentagon attacks.  What those folks are saying is that gun owners are potential terrorists.  I don't see box cutters etc on the list.
===================================================================

[url]http://www.kfwb.com/news/nat/n121911.html[/url]

New Report Calls for Stricter Laws to Keep Guns Away From Terrorists

WASHINGTON (AP) 12.19.01, 2:05p -- Armed with a report detailing how terrorists buy guns in the United States, Democrats said Wednesday that stronger federal restrictions on firearms are necessary to homeland security.
"Jihad trainees are instructed to `obtain an assault rifle legally' and enroll in American gun clubs to take courses in sniping, general shooting and other rifle courses," said Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., referring to training manuals for holy war found in the ruins of a radical Islamic safehouse in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Reed has proposed requiring criminal background checks for all sales at gun shows. A competing bill has been introduced by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., and Rep. Mike Castle, R-Del. Previous efforts in Congress to pass such a measure have failed.

Current law requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks to see if prospective gun buyers have criminal records. Checks are not required for other sales, including those between private or unlicensed sellers and buyers at gun shows.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said she will introduce legislation next year to require background checks for all gun purchases, even those between private individuals.

"Our current gun laws are so weak that our country serves as a virtual arsenal for terrorists," said Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., who has asked the Bush administration to restrict the domestic availability of .50-caliber sniper weapons that can take down aircraft and accurately hit targets up to a mile away. The State Department has already suspended further exports of these weapons for civilian use in foreign countries, he said.

The report from the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence cites, among other cases, the conviction a day before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks of a Lebanese man for conspiring to ship weapons acquired at Michigan gun shows to Hezbollah, an organization listed as terrorist by the State Department.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The scheme was revealed by a police informant. The report said the Lebanese man, who was running the effort with his brother, should have been prohibited from buying guns because of a conviction for grand theft. But he did not have to undergo a background check, the report said.

Lebanon rejected the U.S. designation of Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, saying it is a legitimate resistance movement fighting against Israel's occupation of Lebanese territory.

Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said gun control advocates were using the terrorist threat to further their political agenda at a time when firearm sales are up.

"These actions have got nothing to do with preserving homeland security or fighting terrorism," said Arulanandam, who argued that the Sept. 11 disaster may have been averted if the pilots of the hijacked jetliners had been armed. "This is crass political opportunism."

In the Michigan case, it's absurd to blame U.S. gun shows for state-sponsored terrorism that's bankrolled by foreign governments, he said. Also, existing law was adequate in the case to bring the perpetrators to justice.

In addition to complete background checks, the report calls for outlawing mail purchases of parts necessary to make assault weapons; strengthening federal enforcement authority over gun dealers; making permanent the federal ban on assault weapons; placing limits on large-volume gun purchases; giving the FBI access to background check records of gun purchasers in the government's database; and retaining the records for at least six months.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do I fear a terrorist car bomb more than a terrorist shooting...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's what they would do if they were serious

1) outlaw terrorsim
2) register all terrorist(s)
3) outlaw cheaply built "saturday night terrorists"
4) require 5 day cooling of periods for terror bombings. They must notify the appropriate authorities when they place a bomb and when it will go off, including suicide bombers.
5) since the anthrax attacks used the mail..... you must be 21 to buys stamps and cannot carry concelaed stamps without a permit.
6) Set up a sting a the 7-11 thusday nights is free jerky night for terrorists, have the police waiting for the "jerk-aholics" that show up.
7) have Waxman and Feinstien carry .50 cal. rifles for a week. After that they will be required to explain how easy those weapons are to carry and conceal, in essay form minimum 5,000 words, to be graded by a judge to be named later.
8) ban the Cleveland Browns.(sorry just slipped out like a palstic beer bootle)

I was shooting for 10 someone help me with some more!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The antis are really stretching it, guns had nothing to do with the WTC/Pentagon terrorist attack, yet these people are using the WTC/Pentagon attack as a trojan horse to take away our rights. It was liberal/Democrats fault to begin with, when Bill C. eviscerated the CIA.  I can't believe how stupid some of the people are.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You know I'm not sure that "inteligence" could have stopped this attack. It's like trying to determine when 19 guys are going to have a game of flag football. I really don't think they needed, had a lot of communication to set the plan in motion.

On the other hand if the INS had been keeping track of student VISA's, travel to the US by suspected terrorist, or the airport security/airlines had computerized lists that alert them when a suspected terrorist is contacted...................

And what .50 cal rifles has to do with any of this is beyond me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top