Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 11:50:38 AM EDT
Okay... a newbie posts a negative review about a much anticipated movie. Their opinion and complete entitlement.

Newbie gets jumped on but rather than the issue being the review itself, it is all over the fact that they only have 4 posts.

Newbie defends self in thread.

Moderator locks thread with scolding.

I don't get it. It was just the guys opinion. Other members jumped on his low post count and user ID as a means to discredit their less than glowing review of a highly anticipated movie. They have every right to defend themselves w/o being scolded and locked.

If you ask me, this ad hominim tactic closely resembles the very same tactics used by anti-gunners and liberal democrats when they don't have any valid defense or argument. They just get personal and then seek to cut off the source.

BOOOOO HISSSSS

I motion to dismiss this locking. Let the review stand and let the member defend themselves.

EDITED TO ADD: It seems that while I was drafting this, the entire thread was simply deleted. I got to tell you guys that I am starting to really wonder about this site and wonder if some of the complaints aren't actually valid.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
i think it was locked, because our hobbit friend used "dirty words" in his review.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I concede that the member used a couple of baddies but no worse than many many many other posts and threads that get by. If the cursing is the basis for the lock then so be it. If there is any other basis then I stand by my original protest.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ben, email me and I think I can put some of your concerns to rest.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
first of all, that post deserved to get deleted based on obnoxious stupidity alone.  secondly, I talked to a friend who saw the movie at the premier in NYC, and he said it was very, very good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you link that thread. The "Hobo" line sounds like a hoot. People take this stuff too damn seriously. I thought the gay hobbit thread was funny as hell too.
Scott
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
DonR:- I sent you an IM.

GB:- I can accept what you have stated. Leaving that aside, it did appear the thread was locked because of an unpopular opinion. I know a lot of guys here (myself included) are looking very forward to the movie. But a crab apple review is still fair game. Since you point out the foul language and the spam, I repeat my acceptance.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I am the newbie jumper oner...

My whole point of my post was, the fact that this newbie jumped right into the GD for posting.  I was questioning his interest in firearms what so ever.  If you search his posts he only had one firearm related post and it was rather lame.  
I could be wrong however it smells to me like this is a banned former poster.  

Oh and what a co-inkydince that his handle was shirer!!  This was supposed to be his surname...

However damning a film where people living in the shire and picking Shirer as a handle?

Heck I was a newbie just a year ago.....so I have no wish to "jump on one" for their opinion...

BUT THIS SMELLED LIKE TROLL!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Gee, Thanks Mike. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Okay, I concede that the member used a couple of baddies but no worse than many many many other posts and threads that get by. If the cursing is the basis for the lock then so be it. If there is any other basis then I stand by my original protest.
View Quote

You said in your original post:

[I] If you ask me, this ad hominim tactic closely resembles the very same tactics used by anti-gunners and liberal democrats when they don't have any valid defense or argument. They just get personal and then seek to cut off the source.[/I]
View Quote

Actually in my opinion you follow the Anti-gunner liberal Democrat approach more.  You did not know the truth, did not care about the truth, you just made wild accusations.  

There is a great opportunity with this generation for communication and to find out the TRUTH yet often people take the easy way out and make wild accusations without even bothering.  Just make the accusation, the target (or victim) of  the accusation now has to prove they are innocent of something you were not even sure of in the first place.  OH, well no sweat off my back.

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You said in your original post:

[I] If you ask me, this ad hominim tactic closely resembles the very same tactics used by anti-gunners and liberal democrats when they don't have any valid defense or argument. They just get personal and then seek to cut off the source.[/I]
View Quote

Actually in my opinion you follow the Anti-gunner liberal Democrat approach more.  You did not know the truth, did not care about the truth, you just made wild accusations.  

There is a great opportunity with this generation for communication and to find out the TRUTH yet often people take the easy way out and make wild accusations without even bothering.  Just make the accusation, the target (or victim) of  the accusation now has to prove they are innocent of something you were not even sure of in the first place.  OH, well no sweat off my back.

-Velveeta
View Quote

How did I not know the truth? I read verbatim every single post in the now deleted thread. You sir, cannot know the truth because the thread is now deleted.

The confusion comes into play when it appears there exists a double standard for off-color language. Sometimes it gets a spank and other times it doesn't.

The thread indeed had the complete and total appearance of a moderator lock due to unpopular opinion.

Talk about an opportunity to learn something about wild accusations...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]
All I know is, anyone who didn't like that movie is so far beyond help that merely locking their threads isn't going to do any good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, I think the "Instead of paying seven dollars to see this pile of sh*t, give the money to a hobo to kick you in the nuts." was pretty descriptive.

If getting kicked in the nuts would be better than seeing a certain movie, it would definately make me think twice about going to see it![BD]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How did I not know the truth? I read verbatim every single post in the now deleted thread. You sir, cannot know the truth because the thread is now deleted.
View Quote

So you are saying I could not and did not read it when it was still public?  How do you know that?  OH, that is right the truth does not matter to you!

The confusion comes into play when it appears there exists a double standard for off-color language. Sometimes it gets a spank and other times it doesn't.
View Quote

Yeah, that sucks.  Of course lots of things in life are double standards.  I am sure I have some and you probably have some as well.  Just because there is a double standard does not mean it is wrong or evil.  It just is.  

The thread indeed had the complete and total appearance of a moderator lock due to unpopular opinion.
View Quote

So because something APPEARS a certain way makes it so?  Why not take it private?  Why not get the TRUTH?  OH, it appeared such a way to YOU so it must be true.  

Talk about an opportunity to learn something about wild accusations...
View Quote

Yeah, I have taken this opportunity to learn more about the daily wild accusations on AR15.com.  Thanks for the refresher.  

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm can't seem to find the thread....was it deleted? Can someone post a link. I'd like to see what this guy thought of the movie and what all the fuzz is about.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]
LT, do I look like I'm in a good mood tonight?? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you are saying I could not and did not read it when it was still public?  How do you know that?  OH, that is right the truth does not matter to you!
View Quote

I agree that you could have read it from the beginning. You will not get an argument from me on this.

Yeah, that sucks.  Of course lots of things in life are double standards.  I am sure I have some and you probably have some as well.  Just because there is a double standard does not mean it is wrong or evil. It just is.
View Quote

Actually, I strive to not have double standards as I belive hipocracy is evil. If I recognize that I am wrong, then I admit that I am wrong. I believe that I have demonstrated this attribute several times already in this very thread.

So because something APPEARS a certain way makes it so?  Why not take it private?  Why not get the TRUTH?  OH, it appeared such a way to YOU so it must be true.
View Quote

Truth is subjective and rooted in an individual's unique perspective. I believe that you were referring to 'fact'. 'Fact' is a different concept than truth. How I choose to deal with a situation which in my perspective appears to be 'truth' is entirely my decision to make. Thanks for the input though.

Yeah, I have taken this opportunity to learn more about the daily wild accusations on AR15.com.  Thanks for the refresher.
View Quote

Oh yeah... one more thing... since I have actually spoken by phone to a moderator tonight I actually do know the FACTS.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top