Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 11:44:36 AM EDT
I walked into my local gun store and put in an order for an Oly lower.  I never purchased a firearm before so Im not sure how things are supposed to go with background checks and all.  Anyway, the owner told me that I need to bring a legal document when I pick up the receiver that has proof of my current address on it.  Is this proper?  Im not being paranoid or anything but isn't it sufficient that I prove my age and my crimminal record?  Why does he need to know where I live?  Even if I live in a state with different gun laws (ie. CA) shouldn't I still have the right to pruchase firearms in different states under their own laws as long as I don't bring them into another state with diff laws?  Anyway, my main question is: do I need to prove my current address in order to buy a ar15 lower receiver?  I don't mind doing it but it just seems odd.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, but I think you can only legelly purchase pistols in your own home state.  I am not sure about rifles, but I think the min req. is that you have to be 18 or over.

OT: Since they already to a Fed. background check we should be able to buy any type of gun anywhere in the U.S.A. as a compromise for the anti-gunners incessant whining of loop-holed gun laws.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you must have been sleeping since about 1968 here.

He will need to see a government state issued ID card with current address. You will have to fill out a 4473 form with all your information. If your state of residence issues a handgun purchase card that complies with ATF specs for background check then only filling out of the 4473 which keeps on file with the local dealer. If you don't have a pistol purchase purchase card they you will also have to do a NICS instant check with FBI over the phone which they will then have upto 3 days to authorize or deny your purchase.

As for purchase across state lines the local FFL where you are shopping can not sell to you if that sale would not comply with all the laws in your own state. At any case an out of state purchase will not include handguns and long guns will always go through the NICS instant check system for across state line purchases.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
yes this is legal, in fact the ATF requires a current address that is verifiable on the 4473 form.  My dealer does this too.  I used to bring a gas bill, telephone bill, vehicle title, or something that is issued by a state agency that shows your current address( my DL has my previous addy on it)

I do know FFL dealers who do not care, but is sounds like yours and mine are the "by the book" types.  Personaly I prefer that, he knows how to keep his ass and yours out of a Federal sling.

As for buying long guns out of state, that is really tricky, best rule of thumb is that as long as the state where you intend to purchase the long gun shares a border with your state of residence, then it is legal.  Best bet is to call the ATF and check.

HTH

James
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A current drivers liscense is all I require.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
A current drivers liscense is all I require.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top