Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 8:47:44 AM EDT
Guys I need your help!
My mother's mother was just diagnosed with cancer and my mom is being completely irrational about it.  She wants to bring her down here from Nebraska to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, but the Mayo doesn't accept medicare or supplements, and my dad is trying to reason with her, and tell her that we just can't afford it. But she doesn't want to listen, she just cries and says he doesn't care, he just cares about money. And that's not true, but what advice can I give him to help deal with her?  She has 8 other siblings, I don't know why this is soley her responsibility.
Help please!!!
-CK
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps you can call these other siblings & see if they are willing to assist in the bills.  The bills for "treating" cancer are enormous & can empty life savings in a matter of months.

Have you contacted the Cancer Society for their suggestions?  They most likely have counselors & staff on hand that deal with this everyday.  You should contact them:
[url]http://www.cancer.org/[/url]

Is there not a clinic where she is that accepts Medicare & supplements?  Specialized clinics can help some people, but not all.  It depends on the type, severity, & progression of the cancer.

Sorry about your predicament...this is a very difficult situation & I hope you find some solution to it.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you matrix

-ck
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
cck-
what type of cancer does she have?  My soon to be mother in law went through 2 bouts of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.  During the 2nd bout she had to have a stem cell replacement treatment done. Very $$$ but it worked.  She went to the West Clinic here in Memphis, TN.  The main doctor there is Dr. Tower, he trained at MD Anderson in Houston.  I would definately give them a call, lately we have had friends with family members going through cancer, the ones that went to Mayo/ Anderson did not do well.  IF this a considence? Who knows, but if I ever get anything cancerous, I am going to Dr. Tower, he really goes out of his way.  I hope this helps.  Good luck, and definately be there for you mother.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top