Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/18/2001 2:33:27 PM EDT
My brother is having a HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! of a time with his teenage daughter(she's just turned 15.  He has two phones in the same house with the same number.  One is in a secure location the other isn't.  He needs to record her phone conversations with some of her dirtbag buddies.

Does anybody have any suggestions or websites that sell this kind of stuff????
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
check the State laws on Wiretapping.

that is all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just do a search.  I did a quick one and found this.

[url]www.ahernstore.com/recordingjacks.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a friend do the same thing with his daughter.  I believe he got his at Radio Shack.  SHOMERTEC also has some very cool phone gadgets...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The computer can do it.
Look on ZD Net. I got a link but its 90 miles long.
E-Me if you dont find it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My brother is having a HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! of a time with his teenage daughter(she's just turned 15.  He has two phones in the same house with the same number.  One is in a secure location the other isn't.  He needs to record her phone conversations with some of her dirtbag buddies.

Does anybody have any suggestions or websites that sell this kind of stuff????
View Quote

I don't know the size town you're in but get the phone book for the closest large city and find the "Spy Shop."  They'll be a little high but the technical advice comes free.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Try Shomer-Tec.

[url]www.shomer-tec.com[/url]

Go to Index and look under Telephone Devices.  I have the catalog and it has lots of interesting "toys" for just this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
...yes, of course, check the laws but,

[url]http://www.shomertec.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
After the laws are checked...the setup can be very simple.  $3 in wires and alligator clips from Radio Shack and an old cassette recorder could do it.  A search on Google.com brings up lots of stuff such as plans or devices like this...

[url]http://www.wackywillysweb.com/telephonetaps/telephonetaps.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck to your brother.

That's all I can say on this one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Laws? It's his house, his phone. He should be able to record conversations on it.

just my .02
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
As long as there is one consenting party it's fair game. Since it's your daughter, you are the parent and can be the consenting party. You are fine. It's a legal issue when NIETHER PARTY is aware of the tap. Get a cheapy from Radio Shack and record away.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, to legally record or monitor a phone conversation, you must inform both party's that it may be recorded or monitored at the begining of every call.

That's why every tech support/cust. service # in the country gives you a pre-recorded message saying that before you ever get to talk to anyone.

There are other laws regarding recording someone w/out thier knowledge, and it requires such things as a search warrent, Site liscenses to record on-site calls, (i.e. prison)etc. . .

TTYL,
Justin
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
not too many things a 15 year old could be involved in that have consequences worse than losing the trust of a parent for life.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
not too many things a 15 year old could be involved in that have consequences worse than losing the trust of a parent for life.
View Quote

hmmm, no. drugs, gangs, theft, murder,... just to name a few.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No_Expert
View Quote

I said not too many, if he is suspicious she is simply doing something like smoking a joint every once in a while, he needs to question whether it's worth the price to lose the company of his daughter in order to "bust" here with the evidence.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Just turned 15? Good luck to your brother.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
The answer about one party consenting is the correct answer in this case. The both parties is for commercial use of taping.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????????????????

Would you like having your conversations taped?????  Those are the kind of parents that end up with bullets in the back of their head on the kitchen floor because the parents drove them insane.  Let the fucking girl live her life.  

-bc
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
some states are 1 party states for consent on wiretapping, some are two party states for consent.

states vary.  don't take anyone's word for it.  do your homework.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No_Expert
View Quote

I said not too many, if he is suspicious she is simply doing something like smoking a joint every once in a while, he needs to question whether it's worth the price to lose the company of his daughter in order to "bust" here with the evidence.
View Quote

ahh, gotcha, I misread the intent of your post.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
First, the law is different in different states. Some require consent of both parties, some require only one.

Second, I'm not one to second-guess others parenting styles, but this guy is taking a HUGE risk in terms of his long-term trust and relationship with his daughter. He may find some things out that are dangerous to her and think his tactic is justified, but the daughter will completely shut him out and take extreme steps to become completely impossible to keep track off...or worse. If I found out that my parents taperecorded my phone call when I was 15, I would have stopped speaking to them for years and become a migrating drug addicted homeless sack.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
If it's gotten to this he's probably all ready blown it.

Sit her down and talk about decency and honor.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Would you like having your conversations taped?????  Those are the kind of parents that end up with bullets in the back of their head on the kitchen floor because the parents drove them insane.  Let the fucking girl live her life.  

-bc
View Quote

And your statement makes me believe that you are about 13 yrs old!!!
Here's a link for you to follow to help with your pubescent frustrations:

[url]http://www.servus.at/dns/tele/[/url]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-bc
View Quote

your not a parent, are you
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I belive as a parent you are the consenting party....but if it has gone this far it proably too late...

You dont raise a puppy but not spanking it when it pisses on the floor ...you stop the action right there and then...the dog will love you...your kids will too
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First, the law is different in different states. Some require consent of both parties, some require only one.

Second, I'm not one to second-guess others parenting styles, but this guy is taking a HUGE risk in terms of his long-term trust and relationship with his daughter. He may find some things out that are dangerous to her and think his tactic is justified, but the daughter will completely shut him out and take extreme steps to become completely impossible to keep track off...or worse. If I found out that my parents taperecorded my phone call when I was 15, I would have stopped speaking to them for years and become a migrating drug addicted homeless sack.
View Quote

just goes to show that your personality is less that stellar.

i remember when i was 15.  regrettably, i was infatuated with a guy who had already gotten a girl pregnant.  lucky for me wasn't doing anything that made my mom feel like she needed to tape my phone calls.

if a child is raised to honor and respect her parents, she'll come back around when she grows up and realizes how stupid she was being.  besides, i'm sure if you take a poll of the parents here, most of them would tell you they'd be willing to take the risk of alienating her (maybe even forever, though hardly likely) if it meant protecting her from some scumbags or some extremely dangerous situations.

although i have to ask.  why can't there just be limitations on her phone use?  like she can only use it during certain times or in certain rooms with certain people around.  worked on me!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#27]
"There you go man.  Keep as cool as you can."
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#28]

You need not go to the web to find cheap, good spy gear.

Go to Radio Shack. They sell a little unit for about twenty five bucks that will do the trick.

You will in addition need a tape recorder.

Hope this helps.

Zen

This is my spy shop, there are many like it but this one is mine
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Sgf, even if your brother steps over the line legally, it’s not likely the daughter would pursue legal action.  Not so with the dirtbags she’s talking to!!  They might try to pursue criminal or civil actions if they learn of this.

If your brother is determined to do this, he might want to use the tapes only as “intelligence gathering”.  Listen to the tapes and then get rid of them.

He needs to be real careful about accidentally recording conversations involving other people.  

Also, make sure you really want to help him do this – he may wind up hearing some really bad things.

Wish him the best of luck with this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Sgf, It is your Brother's RESPONSIBILITY and DUTY to do everything in his power to protect his daughter as well as Aunt's, Uncle's, Grandparent's and friend's should also as long as it is within the guideline's that the parent's of the child have laid down.
If more people would stop being scared of offending  and losing the "Friendship" of their  children versus guiding, diciplining and training them for life We probably would have more respect for other's and raise better people and a lot fewer "Klebold's".
I am not saying my kid's are angel's or perfect, but after three grown kid's you tend to see some thing's and putting one's foot down on unhealthy and dangerous activitie's is not out of line.
God gave us these kid's it is up to us to raise them in the way they should go.

Lee
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keep crankin this stuff out, Erick, I need more crap for on my garden this spring.  As a parent of two children, I'll tell you what I tell them:  I'm not here to be your friend.  I'm here to look out for you and try to steer you in the right direction.  I don't particularly care if you like it or not, but if I don't control the situation now, all of your so-called "trust" won't be worth a damn later on.

shooter - aka "dad"
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

-bc
View Quote

see above, BC.  Maybe your parents should have been a little more involved.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

-bc
View Quote

[b]WAIT A MINUTE[/b]

You're the aforementioned "dirtbag" the 15 year old is talking too, right?  I get it now...
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
some states are 1 party states for consent on wiretapping, some are two party states for consent.

states vary.  don't take anyone's word for it.  do your homework.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I am inclined to believe that because the father is the parent and consequently OWNS the home and is the account holder for the phone service, that he is entitled to its unrestricted use in the course of parenting.

This 'kids have rights' crap is total nonsense. Unless a child is legally emancipated then the parent has soverign right and in most cases legal mandate to be informed as the responsible party and legal guardian.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#36]
OK, OK, OK.  I had a friend do this to an old flame because he ‘suspected’ she was boinking her old boyfriend.  Well, surprise, surprise, SHE WAS.  The end result: Pure hate from everybody involved over something that he knew wasn’t really any of his business.  

Sgf, tell the Brother that he’s in for a load of problems if he starts doing this:[list=1] [*]Even if he [b]swears[/b] to himself that she’ll never find out he’s taping her calls [b]ever[/b] – she’ll still either find out (someway, somehow) or [b][I]know[/I][/b] that you – I mean - he, has access to information only she and another person share.  It’ll come out eventually. [/*][*]Even if he warns or advises her that her phone calls may be recorded, what’s that do?  She won’t have any other method to prepare for a night out troublemaking?  C’mon, how stupid does he think she is?

And this next one is a biggy…[/*]
[*][b]I guaranfuckingtee he’s going to hear shit that will leave him scarred for eternity.[/b][/*][/list=1]

Maybe this guy is just too plain busy with work and shit that he sees this as an easy way out, better parenting through technology if you will, but there’s a [b]reason[/b] they call it ‘the easy way out’, no?

Have him take a vacation day from work and sit down with her and just talk.  Let her know that they’ll both not be going anywhere until things get worked out.  Be prepared to make a few concessions on the parental side of things because if the ‘easy way out’ is used instead, EVERYTHING they had or could have had, will be sacrificed in the name of anger, shame, and hate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And this next one is a biggy…[/*]
[*][b]I guaranfuckingtee he’s going to hear shit that will leave him scarred for eternity.[/b][/*][/list=1]
View Quote

I'll second that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Even after all that is said here, what's to prevent her from buying one of those pre-paid cell phones.  No credit check, no contracts; just a little cash.  Or if there are 'scumbag friends', they could give her a phone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I belive as a parent you are the consenting party....but if it has gone this far it proably too late...

You dont raise a puppy but not spanking it when it pisses on the floor ...you stop the action right there and then...the dog will love you...your kids will too
View Quote

So a rolled up newspaper ought to do the trick here!  Bad girl! Bad! Bad!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Laws? It's his house, his phone. He should be able to record conversations on it.

just my .02
View Quote

Wish that were so, but in Cali and Maryland at least that is a no no.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#43]
A few points...

1) As has been said before, you WILL (likely) hear shit you don't want to know.  Be prepared.

2) The laws and consent required for recording telelphone conversations GENERALLY extend toward covering their use as "evidence" in criminal court proceedings.  It is also GENERALLY required that, for a phone recording to stand, BOTH partries are aware of and consent to such recording.  If this condition is not met, the tapes are GENERALLY not admissable as evidence.  Using them as a "memory jogger" for legal proceedings is sometimes allowed, but only in chambers or privately.  They may NOT rpt NOT be used anywhere before a jury, and such usage can be grounds for a mistrial.

3) What are we suspecting that this measure is required?  Is it really required?  This is a step that must be taken VERY deliberately...

4) It is usually easier to restrict telephone usage.  As the responisble adult, accountholder, homeowner, and parent, your brother would be well within his rights to simply remove all but one telephone, and to unterminate all other wiring points within the home.  Moreover, any devices used to restrict the use of the telephone are acceptable, PROVIDED that emergency calls are still able to be placed...  ShomerTec has a few devices that can do something to this effect, my favourite is the "Wrong Number Generator."  Of course, a bypass switch in a secure location is a good idea for mom and dad...

5) This is NOT rpt NOT an action that will merely have immediate consequences.  REMEMBER THIS.  I tell ya, it may sound like a simple thing to do, but it is NOT.  A full evaluation of motivations and an examination of possible results MUST be carried out before any action is taken...

6) Unless we are looking at something like hard drugs, murderous gangs, or something similar, the "heart to heart" approach will probably work better - both immediately and in the long run.  Bear this in mind...

FFZ, parent of 20 and 21 year old boys...

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Why is everyone talking about "is it legal????"  He's not planning on using it as evidence in court, he's wanting to find out what his daughter is getting into.

He might need some software to record the computer keystrokes, too, BTW -- kids nowadays use email as readily as phones.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why is everyone talking about "is it legal????"  He's not planning on using it as evidence in court, he's wanting to find out what his daughter is getting into.

He might need some software to record the computer keystrokes, too, BTW -- kids nowadays use email as readily as phones.
View Quote
course if your kid is like me ie knows more about the computer then the parent then the kid will know how to turn off a keystroke logger or is already running one on YOU!

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

When our last child was born, there was a 12 year old girl in the labor room with my wife.
The staff said that was not normal, 14-15 year olds were the norm for young mothers.
SSD
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Two Words: "Linda Tripp"
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#48]
y'all just need to see it for yourselves, eh?

here in GA (note that GA is a 1 party state for consent.  if you are in a 2 party state, well, good luck.):

Wiretapping
    Georgia law makes it illegal to intentionally and secretly intercept, by use of a device, the contents of a message transmitted by telephone or "any other means of private communication." Interception is not illegal, however, if you are a party to the communication or if one of the parties has given prior consent.

Eavesdropping
    It is also illegal to intentionally and "in a clandestine manner" overhear, transmit or record (or attempt to overhear, transmit or record) the private conversations of others that "originate in any private place." A "private place" is defined as "a place where one is entitled reasonably to expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance." Georgia courts have interpreted the statute to allow a party to the conversation to record or divulge it.
    It is also illegal to enter a private place or "the premises of another" to eavesdrop on others or secretly observe their activities.

Penalties
    Eavesdropping, wiretapping and surveillance are felonies, punishable by one to five years in prison or a $10,000 fine or both. The exception is intercepting a cellular telephone conversation, which is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison and a $5,000 fine.
    Although Georgia law does not specifically provide civil remedies for surveillance, wiretapping and eavesdropping offenses, courts have allowed claims for invasion of privacy based on wiretapping to proceed, even when none of the information obtained was published or disclosed.

Sources
    Official Code of Georgia Annotated Sections 16-11-60 to 16-11-63, 16-11-66 to 16-11-66.1, 16-11-69 (1997); Mitchell v. State, 235 S.E.2d 509 (Ga. 1977); Elmore v. Atlantic Zayre, 341 S.E.2d 905 (Ga. Ct. App. 1986); Awbrey v. Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., 505 F. Supp. 604 (N.D. Ga. 1980).
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
y'all just need to see it for yourselves, eh?

here in GA (note that GA is a 1 party state for consent.  if you are in a 2 party state, well, good luck.):

Wiretapping
    Georgia law makes it illegal to intentionally and secretly intercept, by use of a device, the contents of a message transmitted by telephone or "any other means of private communication." Interception is not illegal, however, if you are a party to the communication or if one of the parties has given prior consent.

Eavesdropping
    It is also illegal to intentionally and "in a clandestine manner" overhear, transmit or record (or attempt to overhear, transmit or record) the private conversations of others that "originate in any private place." A "private place" is defined as "a place where one is entitled reasonably to expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance." Georgia courts have interpreted the statute to allow a party to the conversation to record or divulge it.
    It is also illegal to enter a private place or "the premises of another" to eavesdrop on others or secretly observe their activities.

Penalties
    Eavesdropping, wiretapping and surveillance are felonies, punishable by one to five years in prison or a $10,000 fine or both. The exception is intercepting a cellular telephone conversation, which is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in prison and a $5,000 fine.
    Although Georgia law does not specifically provide civil remedies for surveillance, wiretapping and eavesdropping offenses, courts have allowed claims for invasion of privacy based on wiretapping to proceed, even when none of the information obtained was published or disclosed.

Sources
    Official Code of Georgia Annotated Sections 16-11-60 to 16-11-63, 16-11-66 to 16-11-66.1, 16-11-69 (1997); Mitchell v. State, 235 S.E.2d 509 (Ga. 1977); Elmore v. Atlantic Zayre, 341 S.E.2d 905 (Ga. Ct. App. 1986); Awbrey v. Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., 505 F. Supp. 604 (N.D. Ga. 1980).
View Quote

Dude... it's HIS phone account. Not the daughters
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Just enforce Martial Law on the kid.  It is your brothers house have him make all the rules.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top