Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 11:48:06 AM EDT
I need some advice on which 1911-A1 style to get.

Kimber  -  Stainless Ultra Carry
       or
Springfield Armory - Custom Loaded Ultra-Compact

Will be .45ACP for concelled carry.  I have a standard Colt 1911-A1 which is tough to carry sometimes.

I'm leaning towards the Springfield, and since the knowledge of members on AR15.com is second to none, I wanted to see what pro's or con's are to either of these models.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with a Kimber.  The Ultra Carry is very nice...I think you'll be happy with it.

I can't say much about the SA.  I've shot some & they do shoot extremely well.  I'm just partial to Kimbers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
They are both great pistols, and you can't make a bad choice. I prefer a "black" gun for carry, myself.

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Springfield

my .02$
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, FullRange, be sure to try your post at our HANDGUNS website [;)]

[url]www.handguns.ar15.com[/url]

Tyler
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
TylerDurden - that is the other issue that I am still tossing around.  Black or Silver?

The pratical/tactical side of my brain says "black"

The lusting of all things metal and shiny (cars, bikes, other) says "Stainless"

I now know which finish I am going to get!
thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
They are both just about bombproof and have stood the test of time. It comes down to a simple preference for one model or the other. Like TylerDurden, I prefer a black, or at least blued, pistol for CCW.

OT: Is anyone else seriously distracted by cnatra's sig pic? [whacko]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I would take the Kimber over the Springfield.  I just dislike the squared front strap on the Springfield.  It is just uncomfortable as heck to hold.  The kimg=ber has a grip contour more ot the original colt grip.  Other then the grip issue, both gun are excellent product.  I personally are planning to purchase a Springfield TRP Operator, I made this decision is because of the forward mounting points, and also the TRP series has the rounded front strap and it is checkered.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
SA
End discussion
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My vote is for the Kimber. I've got two and they are great 1911's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need some advice on which 1911-A1 style to get.

Kimber  -  Stainless Ultra Carry
       or
Springfield Armory - Custom Loaded Ultra-Compact

Will be .45ACP for concelled carry.  I have a standard Colt 1911-A1 which is tough to carry sometimes.

Just a quick dumb question.  Have you held both these pistols ?
The reason I ask is because you've had a full size 1911.
Are your hands small enough to stay on the shortened grip ?
I really like the small-framed pistols you've chosen but due to my big, ugly hands I can't properly hold these guns.
If your hands fit I would rate the Kimber at 10. and the Springfield at maybe 9.7.  Both are fine handguns.
(Personally, personally I don't like any gun for a carry gun that's not blued or black - don't like things that reflect in the night.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Since I do not have a Sprigngfield I can't really comment on its quality but is would be very hard to beat a Kimber.  Out of my other .45s (Colt, S&W, Para, and an old Star) the only one that is superior to the Kimber is the S&W 945, but at $1400 it had better be better than one of my $1000 Kimbers.

I am happy to have 5 Kimbers in my collection and love them all, I would buy another if I have any more needs for a 1911.  One problem I have noticed is that the factory magazines suck.  The shooting star followers they use are junk but I have heard that they recently changed the followers to a different brand.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you considered the Colt Defender? They come with bulky Hogue grips but you can take them off. Lighter and much cheaper than Kimber and Springfield.

I have a Springfield 1911-A1 Full Size "Loaded" and love it.
No rip on Springfield however, given only the two, I would pic the Kimber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top